mike1967
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I am considering applying to do the CPCAB Counselling Level 2 course. I finished my education at school and became a photographer (I do have the required English grade though!) I always hated reading aloud and doing any presentations in school to a point of being almost phobic. I have been to two counsellors and both have told me to train as a counsellor. I think I am good one to one but I dread presentations, speaking out loud and fear feeling stupid. Strangely I am not so worried about working in groups of 3 as I have had counselling and feel more comfortable with that. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Mike.
Nuttynikkixx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I would highly recommend it, I completed introduction to counselling skills this June and have now just started level 2. It's extemely interesting and teaches you alot about yourself. Because of the nature of the course, everyone is there for simular reasons. To help others. No-one judges. Everyone is open minded. Try the introduction of 10 week course first. See how you feel.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I've just finished my CPCAB level 3 and move on to the level 4 next week.

Depending on your teacher you wont be doing presentations until level 3, and then it's a group thing, very informal, nothing OTT, and you all contribute to it. You wont need to do any public speaking other then that. I didn't do any presentations until level 3.

In level 2 it's more about learning the skills of counselling, rather then theory, you do a little bit and as such there is a lot of written work - thus the need for a reasonable level of English. My college wanted a life skills level 2 to get into the class. There is no reading out loud. If you do decide to do the course I do recommend you get a book called Counselling Skills and Studies by ****s, Kop and Postings (ISBN 978-1-4462-9402-4, the purple edition (current, I have the previous green one)) as it will help you no end with assignments etc.

The triads, or groups of 3 are just role plays - one is the mock client, the other the mock counsellor/helpee and the last the observer of the mock counsellor. You all take turns at each role, which is vitally important as you will learn so much from each. It's only those taking part in the class who do the triads, with no one brought in to play the roles.

I would highly recommend the level 2, as even if you don't go on to train further it can be very helpful in other professions, and in life in general.
Nuttynikkixx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In Doncaster we do have a presentation to do, but it is only 5-10 mins long. And is infront of your peers after a few weeks when you have gotten to know them more. Thank you Purdy7 for your incite in to level 2. It helped ease me emensley. Well done on level 3 and good look for level 4. 😁🤞
claire.galakhina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Mike, My name is Claire, 39 from London and I am also applying for BACP Level 2 in Counselling to eventually become a Counsellor. The advice, that I would give you is that everyone has some obstacle in their life to overcome and you worrying about doing presentations etc is normal. You will have to face it and overcome it in your own way. Just practice, would be my advice. You will have to start to love reading, as Counselling will involve lots of reading, listening and eventually as part of it, you have get counselling yourself a few times a week. I would say do you research and just make sure this, is something you would really enjoy and love doing. If you don't have all the skills, that is ok, it comes with practice, dedication and time.
Last edited by claire.galakhina; 2 years ago
acco38
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello, I have just enrolled on the Introductiom to Basic Counselling Skills 10 week course. So glad to hear your opinion. Do you have any advice and info on what to expect.Thank you
Elena62
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I completed the 10 week course and really enjoyed it! You learn about communication, triad work, brief overviews of the different modalities. We were asked to get relevant books from the library on counselling skills, and Carl Rogers to help with a 500 word essay. You are tested practically and practice in class, but due to lockdown we couldn't do the practical test, but got marked on the essay and workbook. I've just enrolled on the level 2. Well worth doing! I met some lovely people. I was worried at first, as I'm a bit shy at meeting new people . Go for it!
Last edited by Elena62; 10 months ago
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey!

I did my level 2 qualification online, then did my level 3 at a local college. Doing an online level 2 course could be beneficial as they are generally cheaper, but still offer that introductory look at counselling as a profession. You don't get the practical skills, but level 3 will give you that, if you intend to continue with this route.

However, if you want to tackle your fear of public speaking, doing a classroom based course could give you the chance to begin to overcome this fear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
5.91%
Uncertainty around my education (23)
11.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (23)
11.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (32)
15.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
6.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (17)
8.37%
Financial worries (10)
4.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (15)
7.39%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (24)
11.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (15)
7.39%

Watched Threads