The Student Room Group

English Language Question 3 – is this even true?

I have this very crap English teacher who I think is teaching the class to do the wrong thing but she said that we do not need any quotes for question 3, is this true?
Reply 1
English Language paper 1. She told me not to quote the extract given. Sorry for the poor grammar
Original post by Ethereal22
English Language paper 1. She told me not to quote the extract given. Sorry for the poor grammar

If it is OCR, then there is question 2 where you should quote but not analyse it, except just explain the effect. Unless you mean the 1 markers at the start, then I can't see anyway not to quote
Reply 3
if you're talking about the structure question, i guess technically you don't need any quotes as structure is about the big picture not small tiny parts of the extract. however, to be safe, i always made an effort to include small quotes just to make it clear to the examiner which parts of the extract were being referenced.
Original post by Ethereal22
I have this very crap English teacher who I think is teaching the class to do the wrong thing but she said that we do not need any quotes for question 3, is this true?

I used a couple quotes on the structure question but didn't analyse them. It seemed to work as I got a 9
if you're talking about aqa, only small quotes'll be needed. moved to english.
Reply 6
This is completely untrue for Pearson Edexcel.
Reply 7
For AQA, it can be really hard to quote when you’re talking about general structure. For example if you’re talking about how the focus shifts throughout the text, you can’t really quote the entire text! So there may be occasions where a quote is useful, like if you’re talking about sentence type or something, but you might not really need it much - that might be what your teacher meant. (Of course, I can only speak for AQA; this might not be relevant at all for you!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending