Going to the doctors about the pill Watch

Hannah84726
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I was looking to go on a contraceptive pill via Superdrug as I am only 14 and don’t feel confident enough to go to the doctors regarding the pill. If I went to the doctors in say a year to be prescribed instead of paying for it on Superdrug, would they ask me me if I’ve had any past contraception pill? Thanks
Euina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I suggest going to a doctor, even at 14, with a parent or gaurdian. Your doctor can go through different options and possibilities that will work best for you.

There are many contraceptive pills for different things so you have a larger variety, wether it be hormonal problems or just to protect yourself against pregnancy etc.

There’s no need to worry about the doctors, ask for a female doctor rather than a male one if this comforts you.
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
Yeah they would ask about any prior contraceptive pills. If you didn't want your parents to be with you however, I'm pretty sure you have to be 16 to go by yourself. I just used condoms and only got on the pill earlier this year (I'm 17 now), remember there can be a lot of side effects with different pills, so it's often useful having a medical opinion as they know which one will suit you best.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Hannah84726)
Hi, I was looking to go on a contraceptive pill via Superdrug as I am only 14 and don’t feel confident enough to go to the doctors regarding the pill. If I went to the doctors in say a year to be prescribed instead of paying for it on Superdrug, would they ask me me if I’ve had any past contraception pill? Thanks
Better to just go to the GP or a sexual health clinic. It's confidential and free! You can go without your parents and you just need to go in and say you would like to go on contraception. You can even go to a sexual health clinic so you aren't even talking to your usual GP and never have to see the person again.
They will probably have a little bit of a talk with you to work out the best option for you then prescribe it and you go collect it from a pharmacy. No more embarrassing or awkward than getting it from superdrug and did I mention it's free!
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Your doctor will be very happy that you're taking the mature decision and coming to them. Doctors really want young people to take responsibility and ownership over their health and develop a open and transparent attitude to seeking medical help. There are also plenty of other reasons to go onto the pill beyond contraception.

In short - your doctor will be pleased to chat to you and will do their best to help you in looking after your health and make an informed decision.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 days ago
Is there any reason for the doctors to not prescribe you the pill? When they ask if you have any medical issues/ migraines etc is that to check if the pill is right for you or to check to see if there are other pills more suited to you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.03%
No I am happy with my course choice (399)
57.16%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.04%

Watched Threads