schrodinger's cat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, i'm fairly certain i'm going to pick UCL as my insurance, however i'm severely put off by their accommodation policy. I believe they state that accommodation cannot be 'garunteed' if picked as insurance.

Does anyone know what this really means. What percentage of people placing as insurance get accommodation? Do they get to pick at all? Surely there must be quite a few people going there as insurance. Do many live a long way out and therefore fail to intergrate fully socially in the first year?

Also, i currently live in London, so i assume this would not help my chances in them finding me accommodation, but there is no way in hell i'm staying at home during uni. I really don't want to have to reject my offer from UCL, just to reapply again next year so that i can get accommodation.

Any personal experiences or views welcomed Thanks!
tetedupet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're going to put UCL as your insurance, you definitely should not expect to receive an offer of accommodation, especially if you live within the M25. One of my best friends put UCL as her insurance and missed her Cambridge offer, she had to find accommodation privately.
schrodinger's cat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Ah, okay. Thanks. Do you know if people who had to find accommodation privately suffered at all because of this - meeting friends etc. Surely quite alot of people come to UCL as it being their insurance? How do they cope.

Thanks.
tetedupet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends on the person, if you're sociable and prepared to get involved, you shouldn't have a problem...
Pepe Le Poosh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is the reason i didn't choose KCL as my insurance...
sugarglory
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As an international student who have never lived in the UK before, do I stand a better chance of getting accommodation (than the other local applicants) if I put UCL as my insurance and applying for accommo AFTER the deadline?
MulderMan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sugarglory)
As an international student who have never lived in the UK before, do I stand a better chance of getting accommodation (than the other local applicants) if I put UCL as my insurance and applying for accommo AFTER the deadline?
You should apply, but there is no guarantee of getting it.
raspberryjam
Report 10 years ago
Your likely to get accommodation if you go on the waiting list but only after the start of term. It took me about a month, though most internationals got places by the second week.
sugarglory
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by raspberryjam)
Your likely to get accommodation if you go on the waiting list but only after the start of term. It took me about a month, though most internationals got places by the second week.
You mean usually international students on the waiting list get their places?

I am really afraid to end up nowhere to stay. This is my first time in London! UCL said I will be able to stay with them as a temporary visitor in UCL up until 20th September only. Based on your experience, by 20th September, will UCL have already given offers for those on the waiting list? Then again, I don't want those far far away like Goldsmid House (at Victoria)!!

By the way, usually when do we apply to be on the waiting list? And how to apply? I am probably applying for intercollegiates.

Thanks for your info.
raspberryjam
Report 10 years ago
You mean usually international students on the waiting list get their places?

I am really afraid to end up nowhere to stay. This is my first time in London! UCL said I will be able to stay with them as a temporary visitor in UCL up until 20th September only. Based on your experience, by 20th September, will UCL have already given offers for those on the waiting list? Then again, I don't want those far far away like Goldsmid House (at Victoria)!!

By the way, usually when do we apply to be on the waiting list? And how to apply? I am probably applying for intercollegiates.

Thanks for your info.
If your on the waiting list you will eventually get halls but it will take a while not before the 20th anyway. I didn't get a place till mid october.

For ucl halls the waiting list opens on the first day of term, so you won't have anywhere to stay after the 20th. Intercolligiate halls have a separate waiting list which opens before the start of term but not really sure how it works since i didn't apply for it.
sugarglory
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by raspberryjam)
If your on the waiting list you will eventually get halls but it will take a while not before the 20th anyway. I didn't get a place till mid october.

For ucl halls the waiting list opens on the first day of term, so you won't have anywhere to stay after the 20th. Intercolligiate halls have a separate waiting list which opens before the start of term but not really sure how it works since i didn't apply for it.
Where did you stay before you got a place?

Is it advisable for me to first apply for private accommodation, like the International Students' House now?

Thanks.
raspberryjam
Report 10 years ago
Where did you stay before you got a place?

Is it advisable for me to first apply for private accommodation, like the International Students' House now?

Thanks.
I was okay since I was living at my aunts, so I always knew I had that as back up.

I would personally send off the form but also start looking at private accommodation since you don't want the risk of turning up with no where to live.
melanieng
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i am really concerned right now... i have received accomodation invitation email from my firm choice uni which is imperial college but not an email or letter from ucl which is my insurance choice. i have read somewhere that ppl say insurance choice unis give out accomodation invitation later than the ones they give to their firm choice applicants hence i wait and wait till now. on their website ucl said deadline is by 30may which has now far passed and i missed the application completely but i have no email from ucl for what to do. (ICL's accomodation deadline for firm applicants is in july so idk what is going on). can anyone please shed some light on me does that mean i have to rent private accomodation or is it just. y bad that i have misread the info and the invitation is actually going to be sent to me later?
im an international student (17 hours of flight from where i am to london) with no relatives in the uk and it will really suck if i dont have accomodation...
please pray for me that i will be able to meet ICL's offer...
(lol i feel so stupid replying in an ancient feed~)
keep.dreaming
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I was looking at posts about accommodation and I saw yours!You can always ask the uni directly about the accommodation, but I emailed them a couple of days ago (I received my unconditional offer after the accommodation deadline) and they said that unfortunately they probably won't be able to get me a place. I'm quite worried tbh, I don't want to wait for an offer which I'm not gonna get and get with nowhere to live!

(Original post by melanieng)
i am really concerned right now... i have received accomodation invitation email from my firm choice uni which is imperial college but not an email or letter from ucl which is my insurance choice. i have read somewhere that ppl say insurance choice unis give out accomodation invitation later than the ones they give to their firm choice applicants hence i wait and wait till now. on their website ucl said deadline is by 30may which has now far passed and i missed the application completely but i have no email from ucl for what to do. (ICL's accomodation deadline for firm applicants is in july so idk what is going on). can anyone please shed some light on me does that mean i have to rent private accomodation or is it just. y bad that i have misread the info and the invitation is actually going to be sent to me later?
im an international student (17 hours of flight from where i am to london) with no relatives in the uk and it will really suck if i dont have accomodation...
please pray for me that i will be able to meet ICL's offer...
(lol i feel so stupid replying in an ancient feed~)
melanieng
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much for your reply! I came across somewhere on the internet telling me to check ucl portal and i did. To my surprise the application is still opened so i immediately applied for it and successfully delivered my application! )
keep.dreaming
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I applied too!Hopefully we will get it, but if you read on the website it says that if you apply after the deadline your name is put on the waiting list...finger crossed!

(Original post by melanieng)
Thank you so much for your reply! I came across somewhere on the internet telling me to check ucl portal and i did. To my surprise the application is still opened so i immediately applied for it and successfully delivered my application! )
confusedninja
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you guys end up getting accommodation, if so when?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads