LionKing297162
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I feel like interviews will be my weak part when applying for meidicne.
Which universities would you say their interviews are the easiest out of what you’ve experienced?

I got 6A* 7A at gcse and a 722.5 ukcat band 1 so I can pretty much apply most places. I’m considering bmat as well.
Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I found my UCL interview a breeze. Nottingham was pretty straight-forward also, but that was an MMI.

I found panel interviews easier, and more predictable. They were more my style. Have a look at QM.
Blue Peanut Medical Education
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just like most other assessments, medical school interviews can be prepared for. Our own research shows that around 90% of the topics covered in most medical school interviews can be prepared for. With the advent of MMI assessments, this may be the first time that a candidate has ever faced an assessment where communication skills, as well as knowledge are being tested on the spot under time pressure. Students may lack confidence, or appear reticent, which are all conditions that can be worked on to help improve performance. Don’t feel disheartened if you feel you are weak in interviews – they can be prepared for.

Interview Course for 2019 Entry
https://www.bluepeanut.co.uk/medical...se-2019-entry/
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tiger_manpower)
I feel like interviews will be my weak part when applying for meidicne.
Which universities would you say their interviews are the easiest out of what you’ve experienced?

I got 6A* 7A at gcse and a 722.5 ukcat band 1 so I can pretty much apply most places. I’m considering bmat as well.
If you're a school leaver then Edinburgh is easiest. Unless it's changed they don't interview, but one third of applicants have between 8-11 A* grades.

Other than that, most interviews are the same degree of difficulty. Even if some are easier, it's how well you do in comparison with everybody else, so there's no easy options.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue Peanut Medical Education)
Just like most other assessments, medical school interviews can be prepared for. Our own research shows that around 90% of the topics covered in most medical school interviews can be prepared for. With the advent of MMI assessments, this may be the first time that a candidate has ever faced an assessment where communication skills, as well as knowledge are being tested on the spot under time pressure. Students may lack confidence, or appear reticent, which are all conditions that can be worked on to help improve performance. Don’t feel disheartened if you feel you are weak in interviews – they can be prepared for.

Interview Course for 2019 Entry
https://www.bluepeanut.co.uk/medical...se-2019-entry/
You could at least personalise your response to answer the question, rather than just cut and paste a standard response looking for business.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The reasons why students perform poorly in OSCE type examinations (of which MMI Interviews are very similar) are complex and multifactorial. This occurs at all levels of education, from undergraduate to postgraduate. I could write an essay on this topic, why students who are often top performers in A-levels and written examinations yet perform poorly at oral examinations.
Yes, some medical school interviews are ‘easier’ than others in the sense that they may allocate more time per station, they can give you a list of what topics they will assess and perhaps give you some coursework (such as presentation) that you can prepare for before your interview, the exam marking scheme may be more discretionary etc. Some may even give you past or example stations.
But this is a very superficial view and any perceived advantage will apply to every student that sits that interview. Each student has their own personal learning needs. We have had students that come to us after not being successful at multiple interviews, perhaps now with their final interview for the application year. The point here is to prepare for your interview and we are here for the students that wish some help with this.

https://www.bluepeanut.co.uk
username3694440
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
id say if you get a good bmat to go with your good ukcat, panel interviews are actually less stressful because you sort of know that they want you (because you've already shown that you can do well in entrance tests and exams), so they're just checking to make sure you can also carry a conversation and have confidence. in MMIs, they don't know anything about you so youre basically on a level with everyone else again (which is good if your stats aren't amazing but maybe not the best with amazing stats). Also, with panel interviews (imperial, ucl etc), they send offers quite quickly after the interview (I got a reply from imperial within 4 days) which can be nice so youre not stressing for ages, MMIs generally take longer to reply to you.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hello2906)
id say if you get a good bmat to go with your good ukcat, panel interviews are actually less stressful because you sort of know that they want you (because you've already shown that you can do well in entrance tests and exams), so they're just checking to make sure you can also carry a conversation and have confidence. in MMIs, they don't know anything about you so youre basically on a level with everyone else again (which is good if your stats aren't amazing but maybe not the best with amazing stats). Also, with panel interviews (imperial, ucl etc), they send offers quite quickly after the interview (I got a reply from imperial within 4 days) which can be nice so youre not stressing for ages, MMIs generally take longer to reply to you.
By the very fact that you are invited for an interview, ALL medical interviewers know that you meet the criteria that med school is looking for. This is no different for panel or MMI interviews. Some people prefer one and some the other, but generally it is a matter of being well prepared and staying calm. Ask 100 interviewees and you will get all medical schools named in there as their "easiest" interview, because what suits one person may not necessarily suit another
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (167)
26.94%
Not great so far... (224)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (119)
19.19%

Watched Threads