The Student Room Group

A levels

I'm going into year 12 and I was wondering one thing when people say revise from the beginning what do THEY mean? I mean for example by "revise" do you mean write notes and LEARN them on the same day or write notes and learn them BEFORE an exam? I'm sorry for this diatribe but I need to know lol, I'm not angry, just curious as to how to study well. In other words, do i make notes and LEARN them or just make notes and LEARN them after ie before an exam?
They don’t mean revise from the beginning, they mean from like December/January (depending if you sit AS exams).

Psychologically, it is better to review things, so if you go over your notes and supplement them, after you’ve grasped concepts in lessons, then you would just have to review it in an exam, because learning and revising/reviewing isn’t the same thing. So ‘NO’ you shouldn’t making notes and learning them before an exam, however different things work for different people. Study effectively and not for a long time, studying for 5 hours straight is useless if barely any knowledge/understanding is attained.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
They don’t mean revise from the beginning, they mean from like December/January (depending if you sit AS exams).

Psychologically, it is better to review things, so if you go over your notes and supplement them, after you’ve grasped concepts in lessons, then you would just have to review it in an exam, because learning and revising/reviewing isn’t the same thing. So ‘NO’ you shouldn’t making notes and learning them before an exam, however different things work for different people. Study effectively and not for a long time, studying for 5 hours straight is useless if barely any knowledge/understanding is attained.

Thank you, you have actually helped immensely!
Reply 3
i would read ahead of topics and make notes of each topic

I'm going into year 12 and I was wondering one thing when people say revise from the beginning what do THEY mean? I mean for example by "revise" do you mean write notes and LEARN them on the same day or write notes and learn them BEFORE an exam? I'm sorry for this diatribe but I need to know lol, I'm not angry, just curious as to how to study well. In other words, do i make notes and LEARN them or just make notes and LEARN them after ie before an exam?
Making notes on the topics you covered in class on the same day/week can be useful as it helps you to remember it and develops your understanding of what was covered. It also means that if you have any questions you can ask the teacher in the next lesson and it reduces the work load nearer the exam, so you can focus on reading and learning the exam content instead of making notes.

So in other words I would just make notes along the way, revise for any class tests and mocks and then start proper revision in around March time.
Reply 5
Original post by T-Th
i would read ahead of topics and make notes of each topic

But would i learn them notes on the same day or as exams approach? Thanks for your input btw honestly it help me out a lot.
I made notes after every lesson on what was covered in class- I did not learn them at this stage however on some occasions it did develop my understanding of the content anyways. This means that when you come to the revising stage all the notes are already done and summarised and easy to learn from and you can focus on revising instead of making notes. Also it means that if you come across anything that you do not fully understand or if you have any questions you can ask them next day in class. Also make sure to revise as much as possible for end of unit tests and mocks as this will be really helpful in the long run. I then started proper revision around March doing around 2 hours on a weekday (depending on the level of coursework) and maybe around 5-6 hours on a Saturday (usually taking most of Sunday off). - I made a revision timetable and set topics to cover on each day instead of setting an amount of time to study.
I made notes after every lesson on what was covered in class- I did not learn them at this stage however on some occasions it did develop my understanding of the content anyways. This means that when you come to the revising stage all the notes are already done and summarised and easy to learn from and you can focus on revising instead of making notes. Also it means that if you come across anything that you do not fully understand or if you have any questions you can ask them next day in class. Also make sure to revise as much as possible for end of unit tests and mocks as this will be really helpful in the long run. I then started proper revision around March doing around 2 hours on a weekday (depending on the level of coursework) and maybe around 5-6 hours on a Saturday (usually taking most of Sunday off). - I made a revision timetable and set topics to cover on each day instead of setting an amount of time to study.
Reply 8
I would just read them over on the same day and make sure you understand everything. Then at the end of the whole topic, I would get all the notes and go over them as a whole again and practice past paper question for that topic before exams. Don't stress too much in the time before December, take it slow and make sure you're comfortable with the spec. I would try to do well on topic tests so that if you do bad in mocks, you can back urself up.

I mean im doing bad rn for alevels but this advice is so u don't end up like me.

But would i learn them notes on the same day or as exams approach? Thanks for your input btw honestly it help me out a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest