Economics Personal Statement can be used for Finance? Watch

TurboZX453
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am applying for economics at 4 of my university choices. However, looking at a economics at Durham, I found that their finance course looks more appealing to me. So will my economics personal statement work?
akpo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TurboZX453)
I am applying for economics at 4 of my university choices. However, looking at a economics at Durham, I found that their finance course looks more appealing to me. So will my economics personal statement work?
Depends on whether you’ve made effective links towards finance throughout your “economics personal statement”. But honestly, no your personal statement will not work, it’s like sending a biological sciences ps to apply for biomed at 1/5 unis, some links, not specifically the same. Depends on how you’ve concluded and started your personal statement.
TurboZX453
Rep:
?
(Original post by akpo)
Depends on whether you’ve made effective links towards finance throughout your “economics personal statement”. But honestly, no your personal statement will not work, it’s like sending a biological sciences ps to apply for biomed at 1/5 unis, some links, not specifically the same. Depends on how you’ve concluded and started your personal statement.
Thanks so much, that was very helpful indeed. I will now try and make financial links if I can. One more question Maths Further Maths and Economics for Uni will be correct right? I have seen that LSE on their website on of the courses say Further Maths is 'desirable only as a 4th option' so I am very confused about that?
akpo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much, that was very helpful indeed. I will now try and make financial links if I can. One more question Maths Further Maths and Economics for Uni will be correct right? I have seen that LSE on their website on of the courses say Further Maths is 'desirable only as a 4th option' so I am very confused about that?
I can confirm as of 2019 entry for lse economics, your options are absolutely fine for admissions.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
for LSE's Economics course, you should not be including anything about finance or accounting, as that's not economics. I'm applying for BSc Accounting and Finance this September with LSE being my target and I focused 40% on accounting, 40% finance and around 15% of EC/personal traits they are looking for. We'll see in the next months if they give me an offer, but for a pure Economics you need to concentrate just on Economics, rather than putting in a line or two on finance/accounting.

I wanted to apply to UCL's Management Science but my PS turned out to be too Accounting & Finance. Putting a line for management would jeopardize my LSE application and not impress UCL as they'd see I dont actually want their course but rather just as a backup.

Either solely focus on Economics or Accounting/Finance.

What are your other 4 uni picks - LSE i reckon as you mentioned it?

As for Further Maths and LSE, 75% offers for pure Economics at LSE is given to candidates with FM as a fourth subject. That means that only 25% of all offers are made to candidates with just normal maths at A level - look it up on http://whatdotheyknow.com/body/lse There is one thread in particular with statistics with an official LSE reply; search the archives and see how it was last year and the previous years.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So to conclude, I would not mix Finance into an Economics PS as it will ruin it for all your choices. They will see that you are not 100% convinced you actually want Economics or Finance and thus will reject you.

On the odd chance you end up applying for Accounting and Finance, do an equal split focusing on Accounting and Finance separately. If you dont, then you are disadvantaged, as LSE says.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Durham allows you to provide an alternative statement.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply...nt/substitute/

Posted from TSR Mobile
TurboZX453
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
for LSE's Economics course, you should not be including anything about finance or accounting, as that's not economics. I'm applying for BSc Accounting and Finance this September with LSE being my target and I focused 40% on accounting, 40% finance and around 15% of EC/personal traits they are looking for. We'll see in the next months if they give me an offer, but for a pure Economics you need to concentrate just on Economics, rather than putting in a line or two on finance/accounting.

I wanted to apply to UCL's Management Science but my PS turned out to be too Accounting & Finance. Putting a line for management would jeopardize my LSE application and not impress UCL as they'd see I dont actually want their course but rather just as a backup.

Either solely focus on Economics or Accounting/Finance.

What are your other 4 uni picks - LSE i reckon as you mentioned it?

As for Further Maths and LSE, 75% offers for pure Economics at LSE is given to candidates with FM as a fourth subject. That means that only 25% of all offers are made to candidates with just normal maths at A level - look it up on http://whatdotheyknow.com/body/lse There is one thread in particular with statistics with an official LSE reply; search the archives and see how it was last year and the previous years.
Hey thanks so much! Honestly this is helping me so much. My choices are Cambridge (Land Economy), Warwick, LSE, Durham and Manchester. The one thing I am absolutely struggling on is making my personal Oxbridge standard. It is hard to put what you have learnt from books into the personal statement. This is just bugging my brain. Could you give me some tips, and if possible can I send you my personal statement for you to look at?
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey thanks so much! Honestly this is helping me so much. My choices are Cambridge (Land Economy), Warwick, LSE, Durham and Manchester. The one thing I am absolutely struggling on is making my personal Oxbridge standard. It is hard to put what you have learnt from books into the personal statement. This is just bugging my brain. Could you give me some tips, and if possible can I send you my personal statement for you to look at?
Hey, Im glad I was helpful to you Very good choices and very competitive of course. Wawrick's Economic and Accounting&Finance degrees are really well respected and are seen as Tier 1 with BB banks, if that's a career path you'd want to do. Bristol has got very good Economics, so you could also possibly look into applying there too. I've wanted to apply to Manchester for A&F purely because of their high rankings, but I've been told/heard that the crime rate is quite high there, the air isn't particularly great either and on top of that BB see Manchester as a Tier 2 uni (with the likes of Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham, Cass Business School, KCL). I always thought that Manchester and KCL would be the bottom of Tier 1 but BBs dont see it like that; of course BB are probably the most competitive industry to break into though. Surely 'easier' jobs won't necessarily mind.

My initial choices were LSE, Warwick, UCL, Kings and Manchester but now I only got LSE and Warwick and am instead looking for 3 other 'Tier 2' unis - Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham, Bath. Cass Business School seems to have quite good recruiting %'s but it's very similar, if not identical, to the likes of the other 'Tier 2' unis. London is notoriously more expensive, so for just a slightly better connection to the market does not justify the huge price difference between London's Cass School and Durham, in my opinion. If I get an LSE offer, then it's London all the way, of course.
https://news.efinancialcareers.com/u...morgan-stanley
^Website for the stats. Obviously this applies specifically for BB banks but surely it'll be seem similar to other careers relating to Economics/A&F - it's just a good thing to appreciate and see how recruiters see unis.
RivenOTP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't stress at all. I applied for finance at Durham last year with an entirely Economics Personal Statement with a bit about financial economics. I didn't even look at their website for the course modules or what they look for in applicant. I got an offer 2-3 weeks after applying. Finance is not competitive at all at Durhand they give offers to basically everyone that applies. Also, the offer they have me was lower than what it said on their website ion the condition that I firmed their offer..Their finance course in clearing maybe this year.
Roottokill
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by RivenOTP)
Don't stress at all. I applied for finance at Durham last year with an entirely Economics Personal Statement with a bit about financial economics. I didn't even look at their website for the course modules or what they look for in applicant. I got an offer 2-3 weeks after applying. Finance is not competitive at all at Durhand they give offers to basically everyone that applies. Also, the offer they have me was lower than what it said on their website ion the condition that I firmed their offer..Their finance course in clearing maybe this year.
Is accounting and finance offers also given out by Durham easily ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed