The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Pyschology DE100 DE102 Working Full Time

Hi guys,

I know there have been a few articles on here concerning this but I haven't really seen an in-depth answer yet from multiple people regarding my query.

So hear goes!

For those of you that have studied BSc Psychology at the OU, more specifically those who have been working full time and studying two
modules a year (DE100+DE102 Investigating Psychology & Introducing the Social Sciences for example). I'd really appreciate hearing about
your experiences of dealing with a full time study program whilst also working full time. What the work load was like for the two modules,
how you coped with doing both whilst holding down a job etc. I am thinking of starting my degree next February with both DE100
and DE102, I am more than capable of studying 3-4 hours a night and not being distracted by going out and partying all the time, I feel
now at 23 having done that for many years I really want to devote some time now to bettering myself and trying to obtain a good degree.
But I really would not want to undertake both, whilst working full time, to find myself absolutely overwhelmed and with too much going on at once.

So I would really appreciate your feedback and experience regarding this matter, Thank you for taking the time to read this btw.
Jay.
(edited 5 years ago)
You could do it for the first year reasonably easily if you are well organised. Level 1 study is a good introduction and it eases you into the studying, you could get away with 8-10 hours per week per module at level 1 (60credits each so 120 in total) . Studying 2 level 2 modules (60 credits each) and working full time will be difficult but again lots of people have done it. You will need more like 15-20 hours per week per module at levels 2 and 3. Again its all about keeping to a plan and not getting behind. Once you fall behind its very difficult to catch up.
If you really do want to study 120 credits/2 modules a year to gain your degree in just 3 years then you might find it easier to study a 60 credit module starting in October and start the 2nd 60 credit module in February. You will only have an overlap of full time study between February and May and it might be easier to split the year this way. It does mean that you only get 2 weeks study break in September though as your February module will run through to September and the October one finished in May.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Jaybrown22

So I would really appreciate your feedback and experience regarding this matter, Thank you for taking the time to read this btw.
Jay.

It wouldn't be that difficult to study 2 level 1 modules and work full-time, as the workload isn't too heavy. I wish I had done it to be honest!

At level 2 it becomes more difficult, but not impossible. I started to do it, and was doing DE200, D240 and SDK228 at the same time, but deferred DE200 and banked my grades half way through because it was a bit much.

I would absolutely NOT recommend studying 2 level 3 modules while working full-time, as it is a lot more work than levels 1 and 2. I would say do it during level 1, possibly level 2, but stick to part-time study for level 3.

Quick Reply

Latest