The Student Room Group

Mozzarella? Cheddar? Roquefort? Toastie tries to find her way...

Scroll to see replies

not died of exhaustion yet
first of all sorry it's been almost two weeks of me being awol, not really sure what my excuse is if i'm honest:dontknow: am juggling way too many commitments atm and it's a struggle:frown:
last week
erm nothing too special?
i helped out on interview day which was really fun, met loads of lovely year 11s and got to chat to lots of year 13s i don't normally speak to:smile:
i also drowned in homework on sunday (i left it all till them:facepalm:) so i spent (almost) the whole day on facetime to one of my friends doing it with her.
me and a friend started doughnut day, a new tradition where one day after school each week we get a new flavour doughnut:gah:
we've also stopped having project xyz every wednesday afternoon, instead we have alternating weeks of step/mat/tmua sessions and project xyz sessions which is interesting but also scary because it makes the thought of applying to uni and all that jazz a lot more real:eek:
the only other thing i can remember happening was exercising quite a lot:dontknow: like i went swimming on tuesday and thursday, did tennis on friday and saturday and went to the gym on sunday which was pretty mad. it means i've been sleeping really well though:thumbsup:
this week
has flown by:biggrin:
on monday we got sent our exam timetables and topic lists for the next set of assessments (ew they start on wednesday or thursday) and i had extra maths support after school in which i realised i can't remember any log laws and got super stuck on my mechanics homework:colondollar:
on tuesday we met integration in core:woo: and the coefficient of restitution, i had family over from abroad on mon and tues evenings which was lovely. also had piano on tuesday, she was disappointed i hadn't practised:sadnod:
wednesday was tiring, we did some mat questions in the afternoon which were much nicer than the step questions from last week:yep: (mainly because i actually got to some of the answers:lol:) afterschool i went to this london maths outreach thing at kcl which was confusing but really interesting. it's every week so i think i'll keep going (even though i get home super late if i go)
today was a bit of a weird day. i got into school really early for this gender champions meeting thing before school (essentially we want to challenge any sexist attitudes in the school and help the guys understand what it's like to be a girl if that makes sense:redface:). did some more quantum stuff in the morning then i got nothing done in mechanics because i was doing a question and wrote down a wrong number and just spent ages going round in circles through the question. at lunch i went to the lgbt soc because my friend really wanted to go but wanted me to come with her. idk i just felt really awkward because i'm not really sure about my sexuality or have ever felt attracted to anyone but i've never mentioned it to anyone so i felt v uncomfortable during it. i don't think i said a word which i know the teacher there will have noticed because she teaches me every day and knows i chatter non-stop. errr i was introduced to bouldering after school with a few friends who can actually climb, it's a lot harder than it looks! i was quite pleased though because i managed to get pretty high off the ground and jump from quite high which was good as i'm a little scared of heights:ahhhhh:
i'm really hoping tomorrow is a snow day:excited: i've set an alarm for 3am to check if the snow (which is currently non-existent) is settling and hopefully all my trains will be cancelled so there won't be any way for me to get to school:grin: i could really do with tomorrow to sort out all my homework before the weekend so i can actually do some revision for my mocks because at this rate i'm going to spend all weekend doing homework instead of the revision i should be doing ugh.

good night guys, hope everyone is having lovely weeks:hugs: and let's blast our way through february:party:
toastie
31/01/19

Spoiler

Hope you have a good Feb!
we're all hoping for snow:cry::lol:
i hate heights too omg but when i did rockclimbing i just didn't look down:rofl:
i had the same problem w maths too, copied a question down wrong and spent an hour trying to solve it:grumble:
:hugs:
Relate to that last statement about doing all the homework instead of revision soo much...I sometimes wonder if my school actually want us to revise :facepalm: Setting a 3am alarm is mad though! Strangely I'm the opposite, all my lessons tomorrow are either a chance to do homework or coursework (ridiculous because that literally never happens, my maths teacher usually bans homework from even being out unless it's being handed straight in as she wants us to do it outside of class) and I know I won't do it if I'm at home so I'm praying the snow stops settling and the buses run tomorrow...trains can not run though :yep: Don't think either of my teachers get the train...
MAT is definitely nicer than STEP...even now it takes me like 30 minutes for a MAT question on my own whereas it's more like an hour with extensive hints for STEP :lol: They're kind of meant to be though, that's why the exam is 9 months earlier :redface:
Hope you get your snow day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
wowowo busy toastie! :hugs:
doughnut day sounds amazing! :gah:
:lovehug:
doughnut day :drool: now i want doughnuts

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
:woo: glad you had a good 2 weeks :hugs:
doughnut days sound SO cool :gah: :gah:
Original post by Obolinda
Hope you have a good Feb!

you too:hugs:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
we're all hoping for snow:cry::lol:
i hate heights too omg but when i did rockclimbing i just didn't look down:rofl:
i had the same problem w maths too, copied a question down wrong and spent an hour trying to solve it:grumble:

i got some:gah:
that's what i did on the way up but then i got a bit stuck:biggrin:
it's annoying:grrr:
:lovehug: good luck with mocks:smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Relate to that last statement about doing all the homework instead of revision soo much...I sometimes wonder if my school actually want us to revise :facepalm: Setting a 3am alarm is mad though! Strangely I'm the opposite, all my lessons tomorrow are either a chance to do homework or coursework (ridiculous because that literally never happens, my maths teacher usually bans homework from even being out unless it's being handed straight in as she wants us to do it outside of class) and I know I won't do it if I'm at home so I'm praying the snow stops settling and the buses run tomorrow...trains can not run though :yep: Don't think either of my teachers get the train...
MAT is definitely nicer than STEP...even now it takes me like 30 minutes for a MAT question on my own whereas it's more like an hour with extensive hints for STEP :lol: They're kind of meant to be though, that's why the exam is 9 months earlier :redface:
Hope you get your snow day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wanted to see the snow:teehee:
the trains still ran:grumble: @ south western railways normally screw up but somehow didn't on friday:facepalm:
that makes sense:wink: it doesn't stop me finding step absolutely disgusting though:grin:
Original post by nyxnko_
wowowo busy toastie! :hugs:
doughnut day sounds amazing! :gah:

it is:yum:
Original post by kazzykat95
doughnut day :drool: now i want doughnuts

Spoiler

eat breakfast:rant:
doughnuts are life:gah:
Original post by laurawatt
:woo: glad you had a good 2 weeks :hugs:
doughnut days sound SO cool :gah: :gah:

me too:lovehug:
they are:thumbsup:
Original post by Toastiekid

i wanted to see the snow:teehee:
the trains still ran:grumble: @ south western railways normally screw up but somehow didn't on friday:facepalm:
that makes sense:wink: it doesn't stop me finding step absolutely disgusting though:grin:

You can have all of ours :puppyeyes: Somehow the buses were running yet college was closed anyway :facepalm: Last year the public transport gave up long before college did :redface: So naturally did none of my work and that ended well :nope:
They probably have some snow targets or something they wanted to meet :dontknow:
STEP is disgusting that's why :tongue: Very glad I only have to do it for "fun"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
You can have all of ours :puppyeyes: Somehow the buses were running yet college was closed anyway :facepalm: Last year the public transport gave up long before college did :redface: So naturally did none of my work and that ended well :nope:
They probably have some snow targets or something they wanted to meet :dontknow:
STEP is disgusting that's why :tongue: Very glad I only have to do it for "fun"

Posted from TSR Mobile

You’ve still got it?:gah:
:laugh:
Maybe:lol:
:grumble: our sessions are compulsory and they tend to be used as extension questions anyway so there’s no escape for me...
Have a good week:hugs:
stressed and sleepy
this week has certainly been a week.

m o n d a y
had a few revision lessons (stats n core) and did some new stuff in econ
i had extra maths afterschool which was useful- practiced some differentiation and integration (which was a bit stupid as i can remember them really well:facepalm:) i came home and did some econ, chatted to family, had dinner and slept:smile:
t u e s d a y
tested myself on econ key words during my free. also revealed i'd uploaded all the key words to quizlet and i swear one of my friends almost cried they were so relieved:giggle: added vectors the gcse way in physics which was nice n patronising:yawn: we revised logs and matrices in core and wow i didn't realise how quickly i forget things:grin:
had piano afterschool then did some homework (i think?)
w e d n e s d a y
i started getting really stressed about the econ exam on tuesday evening and this was still there on wednesday. during the day i began my cv, looked at economic cycles (in econ duh), did some of those gross functions in core and met with our project xyz mentor which was very useful:thumbsup: afterschool i just didn't go home. i stayed and did econ whilst one of my friends revised maths. after an hour or so we were both close to having a mental breakdown and my core teacher just appeared and chatted to us about stats, tested me on some econ key words and kicked us out of school at 7pm:colondollar: unfortunately when i got to the station my trains were messed up so it took me ages to get home:grumble: i got really worked up about econ in the evening, i tried to go to bed but couldn't sleep and ended up emailing my economics teacher to ask a question about answering some of the questions in the exam which i guess lifted a bit of stress off me:dontknow: (in retrospect idk why i was so stressed ok)
t h u r s d a y
woke up and felt like i'd not slept at all which was great. i also was feeling super anxious about the econ exam:sadnod:
i got my usual train but it got stuck one stop from where i get on and didn't move for over half an hour because someone fell ill and triggered some break thing so they couldn't move which meant i got so so worked up about being late to the exam. also it was really gross standing on a hot and busy train for so long:cry: one of my friends called me to reassure me which was nice and meant i nearly cried on the train because she's so lovely but it didn't stay with me for long. ended up calling the school to tell them i was going to be late and sending a really stressed email to my econ (she'd replied to the other one already, i wasn't just spamming her:biggrin:(she responded when i was just outside school saying not to worry which was nice)). my train got into the station so so late and i walked to school feeling awful even though i knew i'd still sit the exam (i guess i just didn't want to walk in late and have separate start and finish times?).
i sat the exam a bit later than everyone else and well let's just say i've never had an exam feel that bad. i didn't finish the two longest questions and couldn't find my calculator for the maths (and yes i do a lot of maths in a day but calculating a percentage change when the denominator of the fraction is something like 574 takes way too long by hand and is honestly disgusting) so i had to steal the one that the person opposite me had when they left and check over the ones i couldn't do by hand:colondollar: i just felt really down for the rest of the day but so was most of the econ class (one of my friends said he was grieving the paper:console:) which for whatever reason didn't make it any better. was really tired and couldn't concentrate well in any lessons, i also asked my econ teacher for a book to read and, again, nearly cried when she said it didn't go as bad as i thought it did.
afterschool i came straight home, showered, ate dinner, cried and then went to bed (at 7.30:eek:)
f r i d a y
woke up and felt amazing; i slept about 11 hours which was beautiful:gah: my mood was almost completely elevated in the morning, i listened to my happy playlist and got the train and it was on time for school:woo:
i had a core and mechanics paper first thing then a core and stats paper...the first went quite alright apart from me getting confused by the words horizontal and vertical (i can never remember which is which:colondollar:) which meant i had to re-do the question a few times:yep: the second was gross, my log laws failed me and i wrote down a number wrong which screwed up where i calculated my stationary points to be at (i *hopefully* fixed it) and stats was ugly, i didn't finish it but meh it's stats:erm:
in econ we watched a documentary on the chinese economy and looked at the hayekian and keynesian reasons for the economic cycle (apparently we get to watch a rap next lesson:dontknow:) and then we had a free period. in which i chatted to my friends, microwaved my fried rice (twice because my economics teacher walked past and said i was going to get food poisoning as it wasn't hot enough:grin:) and relaxed:wink: had sport in the afternoon, we walked in the rain to the tate modern and went to this really cool exhibit with lots of words (it only really makes sense if you've seen it but it is something else). i had tennis in the evening which was fun and began watching dreamgirls:smile:

i also booked tickets to a concert next week (@entertainmyfaith u know who!!) which i was very surprised my parents are letting me go to but i'm not complaining; it should be amazing:party:
the weekend
not got much planned: tennis, guitar and revision for the rest of my assessments. i'm feeling a lot more hopeful for the last few (econ 2, physics, core and further applied) not sure why because physics always messes with me but i'm going to try to not dwell on these ones as much as econ
next week
examdeath until wednesday and am going to a concert in the evening so there's no way i'm going to be in a good state on thursday but it'll be worth it:yes: and friday's the last day of the half term:rave: can't believe i'm already almost halfway through year 12, it's gone so so quickly:biggrin:
:lovehug: hope everyone's doing okay (or better:lol:)
toastie

Spoiler

agh that Thursday is rough. I was in that position myself in GCSE mocks and it's so hard to switch your brain from "asgdfrtv I'm late" to actually being able to start tackling the exam questions.
At least it gave you a good night's sleep. And best of luck for the questions you did answer!
so jealous you're seeing them omg:cry2: but have the best time:wink: (i am expecting a video or two)
you get to microwave fried rice in your school omg you lucky thing:eek:
hope you're feeling okay, i know you'll get better at economics over time, it's just a matter of practice:heart: (essay based subjects aren't easy i'll tell ya that lmao)
Good luck with the rest of the exams! You'll do great :thumbsup:
Have fun at the concert too! :tongue:
Original post by Sinnoh
agh that Thursday is rough. I was in that position myself in GCSE mocks and it's so hard to switch your brain from "asgdfrtv I'm late" to actually being able to start tackling the exam questions.
At least it gave you a good night's sleep. And best of luck for the questions you did answer!

yeah:sadnod: agreed- my econ teacher has been hinting that i screwed up the basic maths questions at the beginning, i think that's why:colondollar: am hoping it doesn't happen with any of my a-levels:eek:
yeah:yawn: thanks:hugs:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
so jealous you're seeing them omg:cry2: but have the best time:wink: (i am expecting a video or two)
you get to microwave fried rice in your school omg you lucky thing:eek:
hope you're feeling okay, i know you'll get better at economics over time, it's just a matter of practice:heart: (essay based subjects aren't easy i'll tell ya that lmao)

it's so weird that they're only playing london:dontknow: (of course:wink: will remember to bring a phone charger to school on that day:smile:)
i can microwave many things:woo: (microwaved chinese takeaway leftovers a few weeks ago:gah:)
Original post by Fazzy_77
Good luck with the rest of the exams! You'll do great :thumbsup:
Have fun at the concert too! :tongue:

thank you:hugs:
will do!
Original post by Toastiekid
You’ve still got it?:gah:
:laugh:
Maybe:lol:
:grumble: our sessions are compulsory and they tend to be used as extension questions anyway so there’s no escape for me...
Have a good week:hugs:

Had at that point, was gone by Tuesday :woo:
Ours started out as compulsory but very quickly dropped to those who actually wanted to be there (although being last lesson so people could go home definitely influenced some decisions :rolleyes:)
Thank you :hugs:
Glad your economics exam went better than you thought, sorry to hear about the mess getting there :console:
Also 11 hours sleep :eek: Wish I could manage that on a school night :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Huge hugs :lovehug:
Are you all contributing definitions to the different topics of the course?
Original post by Lemur14
Had at that point, was gone by Tuesday :woo:
Ours started out as compulsory but very quickly dropped to those who actually wanted to be there (although being last lesson so people could go home definitely influenced some decisions :rolleyes:)
Thank you :hugs:
Glad your economics exam went better than you thought, sorry to hear about the mess getting there :console:
Also 11 hours sleep :eek: Wish I could manage that on a school night :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

awh:frown:
i think ours only changes next year when people decide what they're doing at uni:sigh:
:hugs: thanks
it involved doing no work and going to bed really really early:grin:
Original post by laurawatt
Huge hugs :lovehug:
Are you all contributing definitions to the different topics of the course?

my teacher makes us fill out this glossary of definitions as we go through the course so everyone has them noted down, i've just been popping them into quizlet as it doesn't take long:smile:
you're doing brilliantly! :woo:
can relate with feeling very anxious about insignificant exams :sadnod: just think of it as a learning process :redface: whatever mark/grade you get, you'll only improve on it :yep:
have fun at the concert! :thumbsup: (and for some reason, i remember you talking about your parents not letting you visit your french exchange because of this concert? :confused: ignore me if i'm confusing you with someone else :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending