The Student Room Group

Deposit & council tax

Last year, I was living in a house with 4 other friends that I had met in first year of uni. Before moving into the property, we paid a £340 deposit to DPS ENGLAND AND WALES. Towards the end of the year (roughly mid May), one of our housemates decided to drop out of university, and because of that he was no longer exempt from paying council tax. Now that the tenancy has ended, myself and the other housemates are unable to get our £340 deposit (each) back, because the housemate that dropped out hasn’t paid council tax. Is there a way for us to get our deposit back?? HELP!
Original post by Khalidaubin97
Last year, I was living in a house with 4 other friends that I had met in first year of uni. Before moving into the property, we paid a £340 deposit to DPS ENGLAND AND WALES. Towards the end of the year (roughly mid May), one of our housemates decided to drop out of university, and because of that he was no longer exempt from paying council tax. Now that the tenancy has ended, myself and the other housemates are unable to get our £340 deposit (each) back, because the housemate that dropped out hasn’t paid council tax. Is there a way for us to get our deposit back?? HELP!

does the landlord pay council tax on the persons behalf? otherwise i m unsure why they are witholding it
Hi thanks for your response.

So we singed up to our property through an agency, and when we recently looked at our contract that says that bonds will be returned when council tax has been paid or exemption certificates has been shown by ALL tenants. My question was basically to see if there’s a way of getting round that, because our housemate hasn’t paid that council tax which is really frustrating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending