The Student Room Group

Worried that I won’t fit in at halls as a 24 year old

I want to study psychology at DMU next year but I’m unsure if it’s the right decision. I will need to stay at halls as I live nearly 2 hours away from Leicester but as a 24 year old will I even fit in? I feel like I will be a grandma amongst 18 year olds or they will feel awkward hanging out with someone older. I might be overthinking it but at the same time I am worried.
You come across all sorts of students in halls, one of my coursemates was in halls for first year and I believe he was 26 at the time - I doubt people will judge you for it (even if they do, their opinion doesn't matter anyway) :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Does the uni have a private house option to select? Or sign up to the student accommodation groups and find somewhere in town with other mature students?
Original post by Riramoo
I want to study psychology at DMU next year but I’m unsure if it’s the right decision. I will need to stay at halls as I live nearly 2 hours away from Leicester but as a 24 year old will I even fit in? I feel like I will be a grandma amongst 18 year olds or they will feel awkward hanging out with someone older. I might be overthinking it but at the same time I am worried.

I lived in halls at uni when I was 22-25 and my 2-5 year old son lived with me. Each of the student houses were on campus but in our particular one there was only 2 bedroom whilst the other ones had 5/6/7/8. I didn't think that I would fit in with the other students as our lifestyles were so different but actually I made the most of it and so did my son. In my final year of uni, there were a great bunch of guys living two doors down and my son used to spend time with them. Unbeknown to me, they had a PS2 which we did not so I blame those guys for my son getting in to gaming so young (joking!!)
Original post by Riramoo

Hi there,

One of my flat mates was 21 ( and I was 18) and we got along great. And my best friends are 24, 30 and 42 which are on my course (I'm now 20) and we literally all act the same age and have a good laugh together. To behonest I get along more with them than students my own age. If my mate who was 30 didn't have a kid we would for sure be living together. My other really good friends who I met at Jitsu (martial art/sport I joined) are 28 and 27 so age really doesn't matter at Uni.

You have nothing to worry about! :smile: What course are you studying?

Chandni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending