The Student Room Group

Landlord issues

Hi, I need some advice. I moved into a student house around 18th July and paid a month’s rent, effectively being paid up until 18th August. I moved out prior to this date and informed my landlord’s daughter (I’ve never dealt with the landlord himself, only ever the daughter) that I had left due to personal issues. I should’ve lived there until 1st September but moved out 2-3 weeks after moving in. She never queried this or even responded to me. She has since been in touch as I’d forgotten to take two boxes with me when I moved out and is basically saying that, as I’ve left them behind, I owe her a month’s rent. However, I never actually signed the contract the gave me, she knows I haven’t signed it and never chased me to sign it after giving me it to read. Do I have a legal obligation to pay another month’s rent? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m very distressed over the situation.
Original post by lpar00197
Hi, I need some advice. I moved into a student house around 18th July and paid a month’s rent, effectively being paid up until 18th August. I moved out prior to this date and informed my landlord’s daughter (I’ve never dealt with the landlord himself, only ever the daughter) that I had left due to personal issues. I should’ve lived there until 1st September but moved out 2-3 weeks after moving in. She never queried this or even responded to me. She has since been in touch as I’d forgotten to take two boxes with me when I moved out and is basically saying that, as I’ve left them behind, I owe her a month’s rent. However, I never actually signed the contract the gave me, she knows I haven’t signed it and never chased me to sign it after giving me it to read. Do I have a legal obligation to pay another month’s rent? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m very distressed over the situation.

This sounds like a very informal arrangement? Were you lodging in the house?

If you left but never made this official- never gave notice or told them you had left officially, then you may owe them some rent. This would be difficult for them to prove, without a contract. However, texts and emails can be used to show the time you were originally going to stay until.

I would contact Shelter or CAB for further advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending