Is this degree worth doing? Watch

EnglishLit19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Is sociology undergrad degree or a sociology and criminology undergrad degree a disregarded degree ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by EnglishLit19; 5 months ago
Rmcewan15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by EnglishLit19)
Is sociology undergrad degree or a sociology and criminology undergrad degree an disregarded degree ?
I wouldn't say it's 'disregarded' per se. I've heard of Harvard Law School grads who did Sociology as their undergrad (though they would presumably have done it another Ivy, which is a little like Oxbridge, and America is different in a lot of ways academically anyway).

Degrees like Sociology and Criminology generally have less prestige for two reasons. One is that they're not seen as being as arduous as the more scientific social sciences such as Economics, or the more academic humanities such as History or English Lit. The other reason is that, particularly in the case of Sociology, they're seen neither as easily applicable to any particular vocation, nor as developing transferable skills such as research abilities, critical thinking and work ethic as fully as other subjects might.

There are some jobs where having a degree in Sociology and/or Criminology may be helpful though. Criminology may be held in some regard by law enforcement and the wider justice sector as well. Sociology is a wide-ranging and constantly expanding field, so if a career in academia appeals, it might be worth strongly considering. Sociology may also hold some value in the voluntary sector, or else in the education sector after the completion of the PGDE or other teaching qualifications.

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to a few things specific to you as a person. What do you see yourself being interested in career-wise? Do you enjoy studying sociological issues? And do you think you have the dedication to the subject, and internal motivation, to spend a great deal of time and money studying it? If you've considered all these questions, and you still find that Sociology/ Criminology is the field you feel yourself drawn to, then you should absolutely think of applying. If you are only interested in obtaining A degree, however, and aren't particularly bothered what it's in, and are considering Sociology and/or Criminology solely on the basis that they're perceived as being easier subjects, you're probably wasting your time. I wouldn't recommend doing so generally, but there are subjects with much higher employability and much more of a general appeal that you should be considering instead.

One note of personal advice, however. I too had no idea what I wanted to study, and picked Law, simply because it suited my Advanced Higher/ Higher subjects, and also because it is regarded as a respectable degree. Not that I am explicitly recommending doing this, but if you genuinely don't know what you want to study, I would find out what you are academically best suited for and give that a look. You can always switch later if you're really unhappy with it. I'm actually starting first year in September, so I'm not sure whether or not I like Law yet, but I know that if I really hate it I could switch without a great deal of difficulty into a number of different subjects areas.

TLDR: Kinda. It depends.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry to be vague but it depends! A degree such as sociology will ultimately come much more down to the skills you obtain in getting the degree (because it isn’t vocational) - e.g. I do politics and sociology and for sociology I have a social research methods module which provides me with really useful analysis and quantitative skills, but equally I’ve done other modules that have expanded other skills such as my essay writing, ability to critique etc.

Then with something like sociology, it’s key to get other additional experience such as being on a society committee or getting a job in order to demonstrate your skills.

So if you’re looking for a degree that guarantees you a job, then sociology alone (and I would say criminology too although I don’t do it) isn’t it - but if you work hard and put in extra effort then you’ll be fine and will be able to do things with your degree!
EnglishLit19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thank you both, this is great advice... I am interested in pursuing a career in Human Resources Management but I find the course modules for sociology and criminology very interesting. But I’ve time to think about it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Moved to Social and Political Sciences

(Original post by EnglishLit19)
Thank you both, this is great advice... I am interested in pursuing a career in Human Resources Management but I find the course modules for sociology and criminology very interesting. But I’ve time to think about it
Research the jobs available in that field. If they specific that they require a degree, but don't say what in, then a sociology (or soc and crim) degree would be sufficiently ample.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%