which one is better? A levels or BTEC??

Watch
Stress queen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so i'm starting college soon and am planning on doing BTEC extended diploma and chemistry A level and then go to uni to study pharmacy (I even found plenty of universities willing to accept BTECs) but i was wondering, does the fact that i'm doing a BTEC and not A levels (well, technically i am doing 1 A level) make my chances of getting into uni any lower?? i'm planning on doing work experience during my time at college, i have a bronze duke of edinburgh + first aid certificate and am also planning on getting involved in different things at college, so considering these things, is there a high chance that universities will accept me?? or do they prioritize A levels more and think they're better??
Bradley00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To my knowledge, only really "prestigious" Universities, such as Oxbridge, do not accept BTEC's, but basically every University recognises BTEC as an equivalent to the A Level. I know someone who managed to get to University on the back of a French A Level and Business BTEC.

I guess in short, you shouldn't worry if you have to take a BTEC as most Universities should still give you an offer and should give you the possibility to study with them.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bradley00)
To my knowledge, only really "prestigious" Universities, such as Oxbridge, do not accept BTEC's, but basically every University recognises BTEC as an equivalent to the A Level. I know someone who managed to get to University on the back of a French A Level and Business BTEC.

I guess in short, you shouldn't worry if you have to take a BTEC as most Universities should still give you an offer and should give you the possibility to study with them.
Oxford do actually accept BTEC. - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

The only unis I can find that outright do not accept BTEC are Imperial College London and Edinburgh.
Bradley00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Oxford do actually accept BTEC. - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

The only unis I can find that outright do not accept BTEC are Imperial College London and Edinburgh.
Thank you for correcting me, so yes, in terms of future opportunities, you wouldn't be limited in terms of Universities that will accept you.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago

They do but it isnt an unqualified acceptance and it also depends on the course. one subsidiary diploma may be ok along with 2 A levels. extended diplomas are a harder sell. Certain courses will not accept BTEC.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
They do but it isnt an unqualified acceptance and it also depends on the course. one subsidiary diploma may be ok along with 2 A levels. extended diplomas are a harder sell. Certain courses will not accept BTEC.
Well, obviously for degrees that have certain prerequisites e.g. A level Maths for Computer Science a BTEC Extended Diploma alone wont cut it (they do state that they accept the Extended Diploma with the required A level in addition and lower the grades in the BTEC slightly). But i don't see why for a degree that has no specific A level pre-requisites that they wouldn't accept a BTEC Extended on it's own.

Read this, they got into Oxford for a Psychology degree (no required A levels) with just a BTEC in Heath Science (a pathway in the Health & Social Care BTEC) after dropping their A levels due to illness.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Well, obviously for degrees that have certain prerequisites e.g. A level Maths for Computer Science a BTEC Extended Diploma alone wont cut it (they do state that they accept the Extended Diploma with the required A level in addition and lower the grades in the BTEC slightly). But i don't see why for a degree that has no specific A level pre-requisites that they wouldn't accept a BTEC Extended on it's own.

Read this, they got into Oxford for a Psychology degree (no required A levels) with just a BTEC in Heath Science (a pathway in the Health & Social Care BTEC) after dropping their A levels due to illness.
Im talking about courses like Engineering and some of the stem courses where the content of BTEC is not considered rigorous enough by itself.

The OP simply has to check what the requirements are for their chosen course beforehand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
55.62%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed