clock087
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm stuck between choosing Physics and Further Maths for my 3rd A levels. I would like to do Computer Science at Uni and have chosen Maths and Computer Science as my other two subjects.

So I would just like to know which of the two do you believe would be viewed better for a CS course. Does doing Further Maths instead of Physics close any fields?

Thank you
Jaydor #2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
further maths. it's more relevant to computing than physics.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
further maths. i'd consider taking it as a 4th a level actually as what used to be standard - please check if i'm right that Comp Sci is one of those subjects unis dont actually want you to have as an A level because they like to be the first ones to teach it to you (very often the case with Law and Pysch A levels)
clock087
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
further maths. i'd consider taking it as a 4th a level actually as what used to be standard - please check if i'm right that Comp Sci is one of those subjects unis dont actually want you to have as an A level because they like to be the first ones to teach it to you (very often the case with Law and Pysch A levels)
Thank you! I was told a 4th subject can be very difficult so I'm not really interested in doing 4 tbh. Where can I check if Unis prefer Comp Sci or Physics. I honestly really enjoy CS so I would prefer to do that

(Original post by Jaydor #2)
further maths. it's more relevant to computing than physics.
Thank you!
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
further maths isn't really a normal a level. its hard yes, but there's not a lot of content which is why its good for a 4th. but there's no pressure to do 4, A*AA>AAAB
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by clock087)
Thank you! I was told a 4th subject can be very difficult so I'm not really interested in doing 4 tbh. Where can I check if Unis prefer Comp Sci or Physics. I honestly really enjoy CS so I would prefer to do that
4 subjects isn't bad since two of them are maths anyway. That's the only time really when taking 4 is an alright idea
clock087
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
4 subjects isn't bad since two of them are maths anyway. That's the only time really when taking 4 is an alright idea
Ye I asked about 4 honestly but they discouraged it. I will talk with my tutors again. I just don't want too much on my shoulders tbh. Really stuck on what to do really. I don't want a 4th subject ruining grades for the rest but again it's maths...idk

(Original post by anonymous1231231)
further maths isn't really a normal a level. its hard yes, but there's not a lot of content which is why its good for a 4th. but there's no pressure to do 4, A*AA>AAAB
Thanks. May I ask if you did 4 and if you did further maths. How did you find the subject. How was it compared to other subjects you've done?
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by clock087)
Ye I asked about 4 honestly but they discouraged it. I will talk with my tutors again. I just don't want too much on my shoulders tbh. Really stuck on what to do really. I don't want a 4th subject ruining grades for the rest but again it's maths...idk

Thanks. May I ask if you did 4 and if you did further maths. How did you find the subject. How was it compared to other subjects you've done?
im currently doing 4 inc further maths. at our school we have less lessons for it compared to other subjects, there's not a lot to learn but there are harder concepts which kind of makes up for it.
clock087
Rep:
?
Should I do Physics instead of CS then or would that be a bad idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads