The Student Room Group

Dentistry work experience 2019 entry

Hi guys,

I'm planning to apply to Dentistry for 2019 entry but I only have 5 days of work experience - is this okay? I know that some unis don't mind how much you do but some unis state they want 2 weeks in a dental practice, does this mean that you can't apply to them if you've only done 5 days before you send your application off?

Currently I've been doing long term volunteering in a care home and my job also involves working with kids so I don't know if that's helpful. I'm still going to keep trying to find work experience but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
There is still time to acquire more work experience. Have you tried approaching dental labs as this also counts towards your work experience? Your volunteering will be a positive and something to put on your personal statement.

You can always phone the universities to clarify whether having fewer than 2 weeks of experience will disqualify you but I doubt that would be the case...

Original post by chocofan500
Hi guys,

I'm planning to apply to Dentistry for 2019 entry but I only have 5 days of work experience - is this okay? I know that some unis don't mind how much you do but some unis state they want 2 weeks in a dental practice, does this mean that you can't apply to them if you've only done 5 days before you send your application off?

Currently I've been doing long term volunteering in a care home and my job also involves working with kids so I don't know if that's helpful. I'm still going to keep trying to find work experience but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Dental mentor
There is still time to acquire more work experience. Have you tried approaching dental labs as this also counts towards your work experience? Your volunteering will be a positive and something to put on your personal statement.

You can always phone the universities to clarify whether having fewer than 2 weeks of experience will disqualify you but I doubt that would be the case...

Hi yes, I have asked a lot of dental labs but still no luck yet :frown: I have also emailed a couple of universities to ask but I'm waiting on a reply now.

Would it be beneficial to do some work experience in a GP practice? It would be very easy for me to get as I have a contact in the practice although I'm not sure if it counts as proper work experience for Dentistry. I guess it's still in a healthcare setting though?
Most state 2 weeks in a dental.practice but I know Leeds aren't fixated on the amount
Reply 4
Original post by redhelen
Most state 2 weeks in a dental.practice but I know Leeds aren't fixated on the amount

Yeah they do :frown: Also that's good but I'm not applying to Leeds because they want the BMAT.

Also, Plymouth replied to my email and said that they don't require applicants to have work experience so that's great news
I would seriously reconsider Leeds. The best score only really counts if you are clever enough to be in the top 50 otherwise it's just a hoop to jump through. If you did triple science at gcse you've covered most of it according to my daughter.
Reply 6
5 days is enough, it's about quanlity not quantity. A lot of unis understand that it is very difficult to find work experience and accept any volunteering or work exp in a care setting as work exp so don't panick you have enough. As long as you can reflect on what you have seen it doesn't matter if you have done a year of work exp or 5 days.
Reply 7
Original post by redhelen
I would seriously reconsider Leeds. The best score only really counts if you are clever enough to be in the top 50 otherwise it's just a hoop to jump through. If you did triple science at gcse you've covered most of it according to my daughter.

Okay, thank you so much
Reply 8
Original post by Ermmm
5 days is enough, it's about quanlity not quantity. A lot of unis understand that it is very difficult to find work experience and accept any volunteering or work exp in a care setting as work exp so don't panick you have enough. As long as you can reflect on what you have seen it doesn't matter if you have done a year of work exp or 5 days.

Yes you're right. Thank you so much.
Hi guys,

Thanks

Did you end up applying?
Original post by jonboi1235
Did you end up applying?

yeah i did
yeah i did

Any advice regarding the application process?
Original post by jonboi1235
Any advice regarding the application process?

could you be a little more specific? do u mean regarding ukcat, interviews, personal statement, etc

Quick Reply

Latest