Merton college Oxford applicants 2019 Watch

Lola Stakenburg
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hello everyone!

Anyone else appying to Merton college for sept 2019 entry? Why?

Lola
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi Lola.

Good choice! What are your reasons for choosing Merton then?

nexttime
Lola Stakenburg
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Hi Lola.

Good choice! What are your reasons for choosing Merton then?

nexttime
Hi!

I made a list of everything I want in a college, so for example I had ‘old’, ‘central’, ‘smallish’, ‘gardens’, ‘relatively low rent’, ‘good food’, ‘acc for whole three years’ etc. I read the (alternative) prospectus of every college I could apply to with my course (Ancient and Modern History). Merton ticked the most boxes and I really liked the vibe I got from the prospectus. Unfortunately I didn’t visit at the open day because I thought I was going to apply for a different course that Merton doesn’t offer.
Are you thinking of applying to Merton as well?
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lola Stakenburg)
Hi!

I made a list of everything I want in a college, so for example I had ‘old’, ‘central’, ‘smallish’, ‘gardens’, ‘relatively low rent’, ‘good food’, ‘acc for whole three years’ etc. I read the (alternative) prospectus of every college I could apply to with my course (Ancient and Modern History). Merton ticked the most boxes and I really liked the vibe I got from the prospectus. Unfortunately I didn’t visit at the open day because I thought I was going to apply for a different course that Merton doesn’t offer.
Are you thinking of applying to Merton as well?
There is another open day coming up soon, of course.
ParkJiSung777
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm an American applicant whose applying to Merton for PPE. What are you applying for?
Lola Stakenburg
Rep:
?
I’m Dutch and I’m applying for Ancient & Modern History!
Lola Stakenburg
Rep:
?
There is another open day coming up soon, of course.
Unfortunately I can only go once because I live in Amsterdam!
Rhodie72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lola Stakenburg)
hello everyone!

Anyone else appying to Merton college for sept 2019 entry? Why?

Lola
I've been to Merton College. You'll love Oxford but the "relatively cheap rent" is not the issue. UK is expensive as a student but if you call that cheap you're in for a surprise.

There is great atmosphere in all the Oxford colleges and incredible history to hunt down like the graves of CS Lewis and Tolkein. The transport is easy and most places are accessible by bycycle which is the fastest way to travel through Oxford, which has the worst traffic problems in the whole of UK. HALF OF THE BICYCLES stolen in the UK are stolen in Oxford...

It is a very romantic city at the bottom of all things and you will discover that it gets very busy at certain times of the year. The pubs are something to experience but don;t go to all of them at once: that is a hangover you really don't want, trust me.

The Bodelein library is special. There are ancient texts that date back almost to the time of Christ and even origina copies of rare manuscripts over 800 years old. Do I love Oxford? Yes... but I would hate to live there ever again. It's small and cramped with a limited amount of entertainment. Once 5 years is up you'll pine for green open spaces and freedom to roam a real city with opportunity beyond a tiny mindset intent on ignoring everything except where the next buck comes from.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Rhodie72)
I've been to Merton College. You'll love Oxford but the "relatively cheap rent" is not the issue. UK is expensive as a student but if you call that cheap you're in for a surprise.
Not entirely sure what you mean here - Merton is one of the very cheapest colleges. Rent per year is £3653 - 4th cheapest i think? With quality certainly still well above average.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...college?wssl=1

It also compares very favourably to the rest of the UK. The absolute cheapest accommodation offered by King's College London is £6200pa. If we go North where cost of living is so much cheaper, the cheapest Nottingham uni offers is still £4500.

Is it cheaper than living outside the UK? Obviously not, but the person you quoted very clearly said "relatively" so :p:

HALF OF THE BICYCLES stolen in the UK are stolen in Oxford...
Yeah definitely don't get a nice bicycle. At least without first planning on where you can securely store it.

And do get a good lock including a loop to cover both wheels.

The pubs are something to experience but don;t go to all of them at once: that is a hangover you really don't want, trust me.
Well there are more than 50 pubs, in addition to the 30 college bars, so that would probably result in death yes!

Do I love Oxford? Yes... but I would hate to live there ever again. It's small and cramped with a limited amount of entertainment.
50 pubs, 12 museums (that regularly run things like night viewings by torchlight and other special events), various theatres, classical music venues, 4 cinemas including two independent cinemas which don't just show blockbuster films. Down Cowley you've got comedy clubs and the like. There is loads of nightlife - cocktail bars, clubs etc. Its a hub for shopping and Biscester is nearby, which literally attracts shoppers from all over the UK. Punting, kayaking, Christchurch meadow, Port meadow, University Parks, the rivers, various nearby woods and nice hills. Chiltern's and Cotswold's nearby...

I deliberately haven't mentioned anything run by the colleges and university, which will be like 80% of what you actually do. Even just visiting the different colleges would take weeks...

Once 5 years is up you'll pine for green open spaces and freedom to roam a real city
That's an antonym if I've ever seen one. What do you want - green space or a big city? Honestly I think Oxford is about the closest you get to having both - vastly out-performs in terms of activity for its size, but is still actually quite a small town.

with opportunity beyond a tiny mindset intent on ignoring everything except where the next buck comes from.
Not sure what you mean here - are you saying people are poor/can't afford the cost of living? If so as we've established Oxford is cheap so that's just a function of student life.

Or are you saying people are too obsessed with money? Possibly a valid criticism, but not something i experienced and i suspect it is a problem in all top/competitive universities. In fact, my experience with students from London suggests its much worse there.
Lola Stakenburg
Rep:
?

There is great atmosphere in all the Oxford colleges and incredible history to hunt down like the graves of CS Lewis and Tolkein. The transport is easy and most places are accessible by bycycle which is the fastest way to travel through Oxford, which has the worst traffic problems in the whole of UK. HALF OF THE BICYCLES stolen in the UK are stolen in Oxford...

It is a very romantic city at the bottom of all things and you will discover that it gets very busy at certain times of the year. The pubs are something to experience but don;t go to all of them at once: that is a hangover you really don't want, trust me.

The Bodelein library is special. There are ancient texts that date back almost to the time of Christ and even origina copies of rare manuscripts over 800 years old. Do I love Oxford? Yes... but I would hate to live there ever again. It's small and cramped with a limited amount of entertainment. Once 5 years is up you'll pine for green open spaces and freedom to roam a real city with opportunity beyond a tiny mindset intent on ignoring everything except where the next buck comes from.
Thanks for your answer! Obviously the rent is very expensive, I meant that Merton is on the cheaper side of the rent spectrum for Oxford colleges.
Lola Stakenburg
Rep:
?
Not sure what you mean here - are you saying people are poor/can't afford the cost of living? If so as we've established Oxford is cheap so that's just a function of student life.

Or are you saying people are too obsessed with money? Possibly a valid criticism, but not something i experienced and i suspect it is a problem in all top/competitive universities. In fact, my experience with students from London suggests its much worse there.
well this is obviously nicer to hear
AHappyStudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Also, the Fellows' gardens at Merton are a nice open green space located right in the college, something which some other colleges don't have. If that's insufficient, Merton overlooks Chch meadows, which goes all the way south to the river.
mathsOX
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Anyone else on here applied to maths at Merton?
Hjc2019
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Music invites have gone out... who will be next😳
JackMac2904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mathsOX)
Anyone else on here applied to maths at Merton?
I did

Not sure why I didn't look for a thread like this sooner :laugh:
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Hjc2019)
Music invites have gone out... who will be next😳
Hopefully not maths, keep my dream alive a little longer :laugh:
mathsOX
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JackMac2904)
I did

Not sure why I didn't look for a thread like this sooner :laugh:
You’re the only other Merton maths applicant I’ve found then haha, fingers crossed can meet you at interviews
Hjc2019
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JackMac2904)
Hopefully not maths, keep my dream alive a little longer :laugh:
Same here🙂
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mathsOX)
You’re the only other Merton maths applicant I’ve found then haha, fingers crossed can meet you at interviews
Fingers crossed we will be studying together for the next 3/4 years 🤞🤞🤞
mathsOX
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Hjc2019)
Same here🙂
Are you Merton maths too? If so how was mat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads