The Student Room Group

How’s my hrs sleep year eleven

I feel guilty going to bed I get good seven hrs sleep I need to be awake more to study . Any thoughts?
I slept for 9-10 hours during year 11 and I did fine, sleep is important however closer to your exams have like 6-8 hours of sleep the minimum of like 5 hours a sleep, it'll really make you focus when it comes to your exams. Don't worry, just try and be healthy whilst maintaining your revision and you should be fine
I think sleep will evade me as I go along oh the early morning is my bane I become mentally awake but zombified in physical self .. which yr r u and what is your sleep wake cycle like ?
Sleep is very important. You may not feel like you need sleep, but trust me when I say that research greatly disagrees with that. It's best to sleep plenty, 7 hours is good, maybe you need more at the age. However, you shouldn't bother too much if you're working hard all day and not cutting sleep as a result of procrastination, then it should be a battle against fixing that procrastination. Maybe I'm talented, but I'm very sure that if I devoted my study during the day and not rushing in the night, by GCSEs would be primarily A*s. Not that I have hindsight, GCSEs aren't really that hard. I managed to get A-A* in most subjects from just revising the day before or on the day. I'm reading books and you should too to help improve that aspect of you. I recommend "a mind for numbers" as a read, you should really invest that money and read it while you still can. But, overall there is plenty of time during the day to revise. From experience, I would say that most times you cut into sleep time is due to you wasting time during the day. Especially when you get to late year 11 when you primarily do private revision. You should really fix that now, if you feel as if you have a problem with procrastination.

Edit: the book "a mind for numbers" covers plenty of aspects on procrastination and you as a student. All memory skills and learning tips can be applied outside of maths/sciences.
(edited 5 years ago)
I am still trying to cope with new gcse and finding it unchartered territory and panicking sleep is like an escape .. I feel guilty although I work really hard still feel so much to do
Reply 5
Original post by Laboromniavincit
I feel guilty going to bed I get good seven hrs sleep I need to be awake more to study . Any thoughts?

Teenagers/ young adults need more sleep than proper adults do because there's a lot more energy going to things like growing and developing. Honestly 7 is like the minimum you would want to be sleeping. Somewhere between 7-9 hours is reasonable.
Staying awake to the point you are getting tired means your brain isn't working properly so there's no point studying at that time. It's going to take you longer to take in less information cos your brain just isn't running at full capacity.

Absolutely no need to feel guilty for doing one of the main things your body needs. It's like feeling guilty for drinking or pooping cos it takes time from work. :smile:
Original post by Laboromniavincit

Have you tried a different sleep cycle?

Quick Reply

Latest