Studentperson1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I have achieved ABB in my AS Level exams in health and social care, biology and chemistry. I am starting A2 Level and really want to do Dentistry but am worried I won't get the 3As needed to get in. I am keeping pharmacy as a back up and was wondering if it's possible to transfer after first year of pharmacy into Dentistry. I can't afford to complete the pharmacy degree and then do graduate entry into dentistry so am really desperate to find a way to get into dentistry if I don't reach entry requirements. Also, I am dyslexic and require extra time in exams so I'm wondering if this would make me eligible for a gateway course into dentistry. Please help me
redhelen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The extra time in exams is compensation for needing longer to read and process the questions.
No you usually can't transfer from pharmacy .

I would really concentrate hard on getting onto a dentistry courae and work Really hard for you 3 As.
Studentperson1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Great thanks for the help
MSmith90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Graduate entry dentistry is funded, meaning you can get a second student loan (tuition fee + maintenance) and NHS support (NHS contribution to tuition fees, NHS bursary). This may be removed in the future, however.

Do not commit to 5 years of study (MPharm) to then do dentistry afterwards; it would be cheaper, quicker and less stressful if you did a 3 year degree in a biomedical discipline and then applied for graduate entry dentistry after; this is what the vast majority of people on graduate entry dental programs have done.

Although the knowledge gained from a pharmacy degree would help you far more than a biomed degree would whilst studying dentistry, it is more difficult, longer, more expensive and more stressful than a biomed degree.
The downside is that pharmacy would give you a backup career to fall back on should your application to dentistry be unsuccessful; with biomed employment opportunities are not as abundant.
ksitisarah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know Newcastle university allow transfers from certain courses to dentistry. You’ll have be doing these courses to be eligible to transfer: BSc Honours in Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, Biomedical Genetics, Pharmacology, Physiological Sciences
MSci in Biomedical Sciences, Biomedical Genetics, Biochemistry

But do note that you’ll have to do really well in your first year and go through a similar process when usually applying for dentistry (eg interview). It’s very competitive and barely anyone successfully transfers so it’s very risky. So it’s all up to you whether you’d want to take that chance. Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads