Aliahk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I scored an average of 615 on the ukcat and have 3 8s, 3A*s and 5As for my GCSEs, my a level predictions are most likely AAA. Considering my ukcat score is pretty low, what universities should I apply to for medicine?
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aliahk)
I scored an average of 615 on the ukcat and have 3 8s, 3A*s and 5As for my GCSEs, my a level predictions are most likely AAA. Considering my ukcat score is pretty low, what universities should I apply to for medicine?
Well, you can try applying for BMAT, but options from UKCAT are:

Plymouth - UKCAT cut off last year was 600. May require A*AA predicted.

Keele - UKCAT cut off below 600 last year. They don't use predicted grades in their assessment, but normally the offer is A*AA.

Sunderland - using Keele processes, but offers probably at AAA

St Andrews - have interviewed with scores of 600, but 620 would be safer

Liverpool - should be fine getting through 1st sift on GCSEs, then they consider UKCAT - cut off last year was 615 but the year before was 640.

You could also look at the newer Med Schools like Aston and Anglia Ruskin, but there's no historic cut off data.

Hope that helps
Francesco8801
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aliahk)
Your GCSEs seem pretty good, so Cardiff and Birmingham could be good options as well, and they don't rely too much on the ukcat
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Francesco8801)
Your GCSEs seem pretty good, so Cardiff and Birmingham could be good options as well, and they don't rely too much on the ukcat
The GCSEs are not strong enough for Cardiff, which needed 8 A* and 1 A to get an interview last year. They are only counting Grade 9 as A*, not grade 8.

The combination of GCSEs and UKCAT is nowhere near good enough to get an interview at Birmingham. Even with 7 A* you would need a UKCAT in the region of 650 to score close to 8.0 in their offer calculator.

If applicable, contextual points may lower those thresholds a little.
Francesco8801
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by meddad)
The GCSEs are not strong enough for Cardiff, which needed 8 A* and 1 A to get an interview last year

The combination of GCSEs and UKCAT is nowhere near good enough to get an interview at Birmingham. Even with 7 A* you would need a UKCAT in the region of 650 to score close to 8.0 in their offer calculator.

If applicable, contextual points may lower those thresholds a little.
ah ok, thanks for the clarification!
Aliahk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by meddad)
Well, you can try applying for BMAT, but options from UKCAT are:

Plymouth - UKCAT cut off last year was 600. May require A*AA predicted.

Keele - UKCAT cut off below 600 last year. They don't use predicted grades in their assessment, but normally the offer is A*AA.

Sunderland - using Keele processes, but offers probably at AAA

St Andrews - have interviewed with scores of 600, but 620 would be safer

Liverpool - should be fine getting through 1st sift on GCSEs, then they consider UKCAT - cut off last year was 615 but the year before was 640.

You could also look at the newer Med Schools like Aston and Anglia Ruskin, but there's no historic cut off data.

Hope that helps
Thank you so much, this is great help. I am now considering doing the BMAT as well because of my ukcat score so I’ll look into applying unis that need bmat
Khushi.S
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure if I’ve posted but here is my full application:

GCSE 9,8,8,8A*s and an A
A LEVEL PREDICTION- 4A*s
EPQ GRADE- not finalised but told it should be A/A*
UKCAT- 665 Band 2
BMAT- not done yet
STUFF IVE PUT ON PS- shadowing an anaesthetist, 10 months and counting with mencap, 2 years as a dance volunteer, EPQ, lectures, Reading, House Captain, athletics and Badminton
UNIS THAT I HAVE NARROWED DOWN TO- Birmingham, Liverpool, Oxford, UCL and KCL

Any advice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (112)
17.75%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.26%
Not great so far... (225)
35.66%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.33%

Watched Threads