The Student Room Group

UKCAT Improvement

Hello,
I have one week left until my ukcat and have just completed a mock exam. My results seem to be very low, and I am looking to improve my points (by at least 100 in most sub sections).
Here are my results:
- DM: 680
- AR: 500
- QR: 600
- VR: 470
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Focus on time management and answering questions swiftly. What recorces are you using to prepare? Your DM is a decent score, I’d really work on your technique for the other sections, you’ve got a week so it should be alright.

About a week before the exam I also got the Kaplan book which helped me with my technique in VR. Basically what I did was skim read the questions for key words that will likely appear in the text, then look for them in the text for the answer. This helped me a lot to improve my VR.

Are you spending too much time on each question I think? And for AR you need to look for a set of qualities the shapes/objects may have to give you the answer, this is where I recommend reading through the introduction to each section again to whatever preparation book you have.
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
I am using the free medic portal questions along with the ISC 1250q book.
Yes I think for the AR I spend too much time on one scenario.
And for the QR I just cannot complete the maths in the given time.
Many thanks

Original post by Sigurd00
Focus on time management and answering questions swiftly. What recorces are you using to prepare? Your DM is a decent score, I’d really work on your technique for the other sections, you’ve got a week so it should be alright.

About a week before the exam I also got the Kaplan book which helped me with my technique in VR. Basically what I did was skim read the questions for key words that will likely appear in the text, then look for them in the text for the answer. This helped me a lot to improve my VR.

Are you spending too much time on each question I think? And for AR you need to look for a set of qualities the shapes/objects may have to give you the answer, this is where I recommend reading through the introduction to each section again to whatever preparation book you have.
I had mixed scores like yours before I sat my UKCAT and I was so nervous as I didn't think I'd be able to raise them. But for the real thing I ended getting an average of 710 (so heaps higher than in practise). So try not to panic about that but use your scores to point you towards what needs work. I found the best resource was the UKCAT website itself, I think I did all of practises timed and untimed in the weeks leading up to mine! Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JessAntonia:)
I had mixed scores like yours before I sat my UKCAT and I was so nervous as I didn't think I'd be able to raise them. But for the real thing I ended getting an average of 710 (so heaps higher than in practise). So try not to panic about that but use your scores to point you towards what needs work. I found the best resource was the UKCAT website itself, I think I did all of practises timed and untimed in the weeks leading up to mine! Good luck :smile:

Congrats on such a great score! and thank you so much
Did you have a specific strategy for the VR, and was AR easier in the actual thing?
Thanks! :smile:
Original post by GoldenBlaze
Congrats on such a great score! and thank you so much
Did you have a specific strategy for the VR, and was AR easier in the actual thing?

Thanks, it got me two offers earlier this year. For VR I read the question and possible answers first, then scanned the passage for possible words linking to the question. As for AR I practised that the most before hand, I don’t remember it being especially harder or easier for the real thing but I tried to get second nature at it before I did it. But I did get confused on quite a few in practise and the real thing. One thing I would say for all sections, if you don’t know the answer and can’t figure it out quickly don’t waste time on it. Move on. But, guess the same answer every time e.g. if you put A for all your pure guesses the likelihood is 25% of those guesses are correct.
Hello,
I have one week left until my ukcat and have just completed a mock exam. My results seem to be very low, and I am looking to improve my points (by at least 100 in most sub sections).
Here are my results:
- DM: 680
- AR: 500
- QR: 600
- VR: 470
Thanks

Moved to Medicine
Reply 7
Thanks, it got me two offers earlier this year. For VR I read the question and possible answers first, then scanned the passage for possible words linking to the question. As for AR I practised that the most before hand, I don’t remember it being especially harder or easier for the real thing but I tried to get second nature at it before I did it. But I did get confused on quite a few in practise and the real thing. One thing I would say for all sections, if you don’t know the answer and can’t figure it out quickly don’t waste time on it. Move on. But, guess the same answer every time e.g. if you put A for all your pure guesses the likelihood is 25% of those guesses are correct.

I shall try this, thanks so much for your help
I shall try this, thanks so much for your help

Good luck!
Reply 9
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending