The Student Room Group

commute to work

I am interested in this job in Reading but I live in South London so the commute is about 1.5-2 hours. Is this too long?
Original post by isiaiah d
I am interested in this job in Reading but I live in South London so the commute is about 1.5-2 hours. Is this too long?

I wouldn't say that's too bad. Depends how badly you want/need the job.

Crossrail from Reading in 2019 should cut that journey down by a bit too if you're still working there by the time in opens.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
I wouldn't say that's too bad. Depends how badly you want/need the job.

Crossrail from Reading in 2019 should cut that journey down by a bit too if you're still working there by the time in opens.

ok - I will be working for a year (September to September) but also idk if the pay will be that good - will it cost a lot to travel there and back daily as I know I can't put it on my oyster
ok - I will be working for a year (September to September) but also idk if the pay will be that good - will it cost a lot to travel there and back daily as I know I can't put it on my oyster

You should probably find out what the pay is then... And then come to a decision.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
You should probably find out what the pay is then... And then come to a decision.

I won't be able to until an interview/assesment centre and I don't really want to go through that all just to not take it (It isn't too bad should be in the region of 12-15k)

That is horrendous! That is four hours out of your day. If you work on the basis of life being 8 hours sleep, 8 hours work and 8 hours play, you are sacrificing 5 hours of your spare time (don't forget your lunch hour) to work. Fine in the short term, but why can't you move to Reading?
I won't be able to until an interview/assesment centre and I don't really want to go through that all just to not take it (It isn't too bad should be in the region of 12-15k)

Sorry, I just saw this. Are you seriously going to commute for 4 hours a day for a grand a month, less commuting money which is going to be > £4k a year? Surely there are better jobs closer to home? This feels like clutching at straws.
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
That is horrendous! That is four hours out of your day. If you work on the basis of life being 8 hours sleep, 8 hours work and 8 hours play, you are sacrificing 5 hours of your spare time (don't forget your lunch hour) to work. Fine in the short term, but why can't you move to Reading?

Original post by ByEeek
Sorry, I just saw this. Are you seriously going to commute for 4 hours a day for a grand a month, less commuting money which is going to be > £4k a year? Surely there are better jobs closer to home? This feels like clutching at straws.

Well, I'm finding it really hard to find any work atm as I only have A-Levels and little eperience and there aren't many jobs in London in engineering/science/maths I can find still open. I am open to do basically anything that involves aspects of technology/maths but I can't find anything. is there anything you reccomend I've just been working through indeed and YINI.

I don't think I would take a job that required such long travel hours for such a low wage. It's really not a great wage, particularly for that part of the country. Unless there are amazing opportunities for progression within the company, I'd give it a miss.

You're going to have no free time, you're going to be spending a lot of your wage on traveling.

Is the train journey 2 hours on its own? Because if so, you also need to think about getting to and from the train station, and where the station is in relation to work at the other end.

If you start at 9 you'll probably have to leave the house soon after 6, meaning it'll be around 5am that you'd have to get up.

I would do it if it was an amazing job for amazing money - but yours doesn't seem to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending