The Student Room Group

Awful UKCAT - what should i do next??

I did my UKCAT yesterday and tbh I was far from thrilled.
My overall stats now are:
GCSEs: 976 A*A*A*AAAABB
UKCAT: 2490 band 2 - 623 av. (last year = bottom 40% :frown:( )
A Level Prediction: A*AAa
UCAS Tariff: 172
I have huge amount of voluntary work / work experience and I really don't want all the effort to go to waste but idk where to apply anymore?? Manchester was going to be my first choice but haha not anymore!
Please could anyone help / guide me on what to do next?
Reply 1
That's alright lol. Last year I got 2 offers with less both UKCAT unis as well
Reply 2
Original post by okey
That's alright lol. Last year I got 2 offers with less both UKCAT unis as well

wow congratulations! if you dont mind me asking where did you apply to ??
Reply 3
Original post by mariam_alii
wow congratulations! if you dont mind me asking where did you apply to ??

yh sure bristol birmingham kings brighton. Offers from kings and brum. Just make sure your personal statement is mad and has a lot of reflection in it
Reply 4
Original post by okey
yh sure bristol birmingham kings brighton. Offers from kings and brum. Just make sure your personal statement is mad and has a lot of reflection in it

ah kings! i thought they only looked at very high ukcat scores?? what were your overall stats ?
Reply 5
I have huge amount of voluntary work / work experience and I really don't want all the effort to go to waste but idk where to apply anymore?? Manchester was going to be my first choice but haha not anymore!

Plymouth - UKCAT cut off last year 600

St Andrews - have had minimum cut off below 620 in recent years

Keele - exclude bottom 2 deciles, so fine. Need good PS stuff.

Sunderland - follow Keele processes, so also fine

Liverpool - you would pass academic 1st sift, UKCAT cut off last 3 years has been 615 (last year), 640 and 625.

You could also investigate new schools like Aston and Anglia Ruskin, but no historic info on cut off scores

Other poster suggested these based on own experience:

Bristol - was probably ok last year (quite PS based) but has moved to UKCAT only this year. They say if they had used it last year the cut off would have been 665

Birmingham - have increased this year from 30% to 40% UKCAT weighting. Use their offer calculator here:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/personal-page/faq.aspx

I doubt that it will show a likely offer unless it applies contextual points based on school and/or post code - but try it and see.

King's - for 2017 entry there's a link here to UKCAT scores invited for interview. The lowest was 640.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_17#incoming-1035882

Hope that helps

Your UKCAT is not awful, you should be fine for many places actually, I’d say you just need to be more cautious with where you apply. There is lots of information out there with how different med schools weight the UKCAT so reshearch that thouroughly.
Reply 7
Original post by meddad
Plymouth - UKCAT cut off last year 600

St Andrews - have had minimum cut off below 620 in recent years

Keele - exclude bottom 2 deciles, so fine. Need good PS stuff.

Sunderland - follow Keele processes, so also fine

Liverpool - you would pass academic 1st sift, UKCAT cut off last 3 years has been 615 (last year), 640 and 625.

You could also investigate new schools like Aston and Anglia Ruskin, but no historic info on cut off scores

Other poster suggested these based on own experience:

Bristol - was probably ok last year (quite PS based) but has moved to UKCAT only this year. They say if they had used it last year the cut off would have been 665

Birmingham - have increased this year from 30% to 40% UKCAT weighting. Use their offer calculator here:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/personal-page/faq.aspx

I doubt that it will show a likely offer unless it applies contextual points based on school and/or post code - but try it and see.

King's - for 2017 entry there's a link here to UKCAT scores invited for interview. The lowest was 640.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_17#incoming-1035882

Hope that helps

tysm this is so helpful! i feel like i might hinge my bets and apply to liverpool seeing as tho the cut off was low and i have compiled a list of mot of these unis so i think its just a case of writing a banging personal statement and applying wisely
idk if you would kow but i was on manchesters website and they said they invite 500-600 for interview who dont meet their cut off (last year it was 667) so do you think i should take a shot and apply or leave it bc my ukcat would be too below the cut off?
Reply 8
tysm this is so helpful! i feel like i might hinge my bets and apply to liverpool seeing as tho the cut off was low and i have compiled a list of mot of these unis so i think its just a case of writing a banging personal statement and applying wisely
idk if you would kow but i was on manchesters website and they said they invite 500-600 for interview who dont meet their cut off (last year it was 667) so do you think i should take a shot and apply or leave it bc my ukcat would be too below the cut off?

I am going to Manchester in September and I know someone who got an interview at Manchester with 620 but I also know someone else with the same score who didn’t get an interview there. If you can make your NAI form stand out with lots of detail then you have still got a shot. Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by daisie
I am going to Manchester in September and I know someone who got an interview at Manchester with 620 but I also know someone else with the same score who didn’t get an interview there. If you can make your NAI form stand out with lots of detail then you have still got a shot. Good luck!

These same people also applied Liverpool and the same one got an interview there but the other didn’t so I think it must have been the personal statement that made the difference.
Original post by daisie

congrats on getting into manchester!! i feel like i have more than enough work experience and volunteering that i could take about in great depth so i might apply again hinging my bets ://
Reply 11

I did know that but it always slips my mind.

Somebody has already given a helpful response. Supporting that, I just looked on the Freedom of Information website and found this response from Manchester. Bear in mind that for 2016-17 there were only 3 subtests, so divide by 3 rather than 4

"The UKCAT cut-off for selection to interview was 1960 (1860 for candidates who fit the published widening participation criteria) in 2016-2017, and 2660 (2550 for candidates who fit the published widening participation criteria) in 2015-16."
Original post by meddad
I did know that but it always slips my mind.

Somebody has already given a helpful response. Supporting that, I just looked on the Freedom of Information website and found this response from Manchester. Bear in mind that for 2016-17 there were only 3 subtests, so divide by 3 rather than 4

"The UKCAT cut-off for selection to interview was 1960 (1860 for candidates who fit the published widening participation criteria) in 2016-2017, and 2660 (2550 for candidates who fit the published widening participation criteria) in 2015-16."

but would this not mean that my application to manchester would be a bit pointless because using that i would have needed an average of 2600+ whereas mine is 2490?? . i am so confused ahh. when i went to the open day they put emphasis on volunteering and work experience so idk if it would be reckless of me applying here when the chances are slim but then again my work experience may pull me up ?
i emailed manchester and obviousl because i meet there gcse and a level requirements my application would still be considered

Make sure you do the BMAT but DO NOT GIVE UP you still have a big shot especially with those predictions
BMAT is basically A level biology chemistry some gcse maths (and maybe physics >.<) and an essay at the end
The only problem being managing your time
So maybe ask for advice off of your teachers when you return to college
I got 2500 and SJ band 3 and I'm still applying to sheffield and birmingham. Sheffields baseline score is 2470 i believe so you have a shot there!
No matter what u do good luck :smile:
Original post by Rain Thorn
Make sure you do the BMAT but DO NOT GIVE UP you still have a big shot especially with those predictions
BMAT is basically A level biology chemistry some gcse maths (and maybe physics >.<:wink: and an essay at the end
I got 2500 and SJ band 3 and I'm still applying to sheffield and birmingham. Sheffields baseline score is 2470 i believe so you have a shot there!

aw this is so lovely :h: !! i think i will have to put bmat on hold atm because i dont know how effectively i will be able to revise and i dont want a repeat of the tears from ukcat. i feel like i am going to apply to manchester regardless of my shambolic ukcat bc if i dont i will regret it. i will check sheffield out and ty again !
Reply 15
BMAT is basically A level biology chemistry some gcse maths (and maybe physics >.<:wink: and an essay at the end

Sheffield have used UKCAT only to rank for interview in the last couple of years, and cut off last year was 672.5, and 667 the year before.

Birmingham - I assume you have used their offer calculator which will give you an indication of whether they're likely to interview. The maximum you can score this year on academics is 6.0, and based on last year's UKCAT boundaries you would have scored about 0.9 on that. The cut off last year was marginally above 8.0

Of course, if you qualify for contextual points that may change the scoring
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
but would this not mean that my application to manchester would be a bit pointless because using that i would have needed an average of 2600+ whereas mine is 2490?? . i am so confused ahh. when i went to the open day they put emphasis on volunteering and work experience so idk if it would be reckless of me applying here when the chances are slim but then again my work experience may pull me up ?
i emailed manchester and obviousl because i meet there gcse and a level requirements my application would still be considered

You may have been ok with the contextual scores. Do you know if you qualify?
Original post by meddad
You may have been ok with the contextual scores. Do you know if you qualify?

no i definitely dont so that is out the window. but considering they take 500-600 who get below this would it be unreasonable for me to apply?
Reply 18
I'm not sure 100% really
I know im definitely okay for Sheffield though i know last year all applicants above the threshold and who had everything else okay got to interview (a guy from sheffield uni told me that at a work experience program). For Birmingham im not totally sure but I dont have another choice unless i said keele but im not sure what keele's ukcat policy is
My preffered choices are BMAT unis though which is somewhat relieving I feel Id do better at BMAT

Sorry, but not ok for Sheffield. What people often say is that you will be "considered" for interview if you meet the minimum threshold. What they fail to tell you is that a higher cut off is then applied. This is what it says on their website:

"In the 2017-18 admissions cycle, the minimum threshold was 2460/3600. After ranking, Home/EU applicants and International applicants who scored 2690/3600 or higher were invited to interview."

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/whathappens under the Stage 2 tab.

With 625 UKCAT, options are pretty much as I described in my previous posts in this thread ie: Keele, Sunderland, Plymouth, St Andrews, Liverpool (some years), Manchester (maybe if you qualify for contextual data)

All dependent on your GCSEs and predicted grades.
do universities see all your scores or do they see just your average score in ukcat?? coz im really worried about them seeing my 550 score in VR ;(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending