L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
**edited 16/8/19**

Hey Guys!

so thanks to CheeseIsVeg, I'm going to be keeping a GYG blog (hopefully lasting longer than last time ). Some background info before we start:

The Goal: My goal is to get into medical school and study to be a doctor. I have just finished Year 13, and am currently on a gap year, working a fulltime job and resitting two of my A levels (more on that later). I am reapplying to med school for 2019 entry, and am also considering graduate entry medicine through a biomedical sciences degree.

GCSEs: GCSEs went reasonably well. I got lower than expected in a couple of my good subjects (sociology and English language, both Bs), however, I still did well overall. I got 5A*s, 3As and 3Bs, with A*s in triple science, an A in maths and A in English Lit.

A Levels: A levels went a bit differently. For my end of year 12 exams, I got BBB in Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and was predicted to get three As. However, from the start of my A2 year, I was experiencing problems at home which severely impacted my mental health. This led me to not study as much as I could've done and ultimately meant I underperformed in the real exams. On results day I found that I got A in psychology, B in biology and D in chemistry, and an A in EPQ. Whilst I was happy with my two A grades, I couldn't help feeling overwhelmingly disappointed with the chemistry grade, feeling as though I'd let myself down by underperforming when I could have achieved an A. However, around a week after results day I was over it and determined to find out my next steps and what I needed to do to get where I want to be. This is just a setback- I need to acknowledge that there were situations which were out of my control and that I am in a much better place mentally than I was then.

The Plan: So with all of that said, I am trying again to get into medical school. I am currently revising for my UKCAT which is booked for 20th september. I will also most likely take the BMAT as well, depending on which unis accept resits and what aptitude tests said unis use. I will be sitting the resits as an external candidate, so planned revision will be paramount to me getting the grades I want and need. I will also be working a full time job as I need the money for bills and rent, so efficient timekeeping is also important.

Other info: If ther's anything else that you'd like to know about my application process, what I'm using to revise etc., let me know and I'll add it here to help others. One thing I can think to add now is work experience.
Work Experience: relevant work experience is essential to demonstrate that you've had some sort of insight into the medical profession and have relfected on things you've seen and learnt. It's also a great time to gain tips and advice from any relevant healthcare professionals that can help improve your personal statement and prepare you for interviews. Here's my relevant experience (so far!):
-volunteering at a local hospice (over 1 year):- I was lucky enough to be able to volunteer at my local hospice, serving the patients their meals and keeping them company. It was also a great opportunity to get to know the nurses and healthcare assistants there and ask questions. Within my time there I was also able to do a ward round, and complete a six month course that worked towards a certificate incorporating the 15 standards of care. This meant I gained a lot more knowledge than I would've done in just a few days work experience, and i got some formal training like manual handling and feeding companion too.

-placement at local DGH (one week):- This was a great experience as I was able to see multiple wards, and speak to a lot of people. It also happened to be on the week of Black Wednesday, the day junior doctors all switch their placements between or within hospitals at the same time and newly qualified junior doctors start work. This meant I got to see a lot more as the doctor I shadowed moved from haemotology to MAU.

-being student governor in my student union (sep-may roughly):- although this isn't medical experience, the qualities used for this role or similar and things learnt are easliy transferrable to the medical porfession. For example, teamwork to ensure events and ideas run smoothly is similar to teamwork in a medical environment where differnet professionals work together to ensure the highest standard of patient care.

-working night shifts:- my new job will be working night shifts, normally from 10pm-7am, as I haven't had a full-time job before let alone done a night shift it'll be a shock to the system however even this is relevant, as doctors often work very unsociable hours. The skills I learn from this and how I reflect on it can link back to medicine.

-from around November to current time I've been working as an HCA at a carehome. I work on a high security dementia unit. I've certainly seen a lot of stuff, there really aren't any limits and at times it's been intense. However this has been my favorite job to date and I love how much I've learnt and the skills I've developed.

The Result:
I GOT INTO SHEFFIELD!

I couldn't believe it, I was actually speechless. I think I lay in my bed for a full minute taking it all in and processing in :lol: I am so so glad all my hard work finally paid off. I got an email about an hour later with my grades:

Chemistry: A
Biology: A

In a year I went from ABD to AAA, the D to A in chemistry was the biggest shock to me. Thank you so much to everyone for supporting and motivating me, I really couldn't have done it without you guys I'm still in shock and processing it all, but I hope my journey has proven to everyone that anyone can achieve their dreams with enough hard work and determination. I'm considering making a separate post to give details on how I studied and improved my grades, if anyone would find that useful?? If anyone has any questions whatsoever feel free to ask them below and I'll reply soon.

Thanks again to everyone for their support! Still unbelievable that I'll be a medical student next month :eek: I'm excited and looking forward to what the future holds.

Tags:

Last edited by L.D.S.; 5 months ago
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
:hello: I'm applying to medicine (as a graduate though) so would love to be tagged in your updates! Always good motivation
I'll add you to the tags what's your degree? Hoping this will keep me motivated throughout the year
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
Thanks Biology, just graduated!
congrats! :clap2::clap2::clap2:
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Add me to your tag list,please.
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
Add me to your tag list,please.
Done
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDS16)
Hey Guys!

so thanks to CheeseIsVeg, I'm going to be keeping a GYG blog (hopefully lasting longer than last time ). Some background info before we start:

The Goal: My goal is to get into medical school and study to be a doctor. I have just finished Year 13, and am currently on a gap year, working a fulltime job and resitting two of my A levels (more on that later). I am reapplying to med school for 2019 entry, and am also considering graduate entry medicine through a biomedical sciences degree.

GCSEs: GCSEs went reasonably well. I got lower than expected in a couple of my good subjects (sociology and English language, both Bs), however, I still did well overall. I got 5A*s, 3As and 3Bs, with A*s in triple science, an A in maths and A in English Lit.

A Levels: A levels went a bit differently. For my end of year 12 exams, I got BBB in Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and was predicted to get three As. However, from the start of my A2 year, I was experiencing problems at home which severely impacted my mental health. This led me to not study as much as I could've done and ultimately meant I underperformed in the real exams. On results day I found that I got A in psychology, B in biology and D in chemistry, and an A in EPQ. Whilst I was happy with my two A grades, I couldn't help feeling overwhelmingly disappointed with the chemistry grade, feeling as though I'd let myself down by underperforming when I could have achieved an A. However, around a week after results day I was over it and determined to find out my next steps and what I needed to do to get where I want to be. This is just a setback- I need to acknowledge that there were situations which were out of my control and that I am in a much better place mentally than I was then.

The Plan: So with all of that said, I am trying again to get into medical school. I am currently revising for my UKCAT which is booked for 20th september. I will also most likely take the BMAT as well, depending on which unis accept resits and what aptitude tests said unis use. I will be sitting the resits as an external candidate, so planned revision will be paramount to me getting the grades I want and need. I will also be working a full time job as I need the money for bills and rent, so efficient timekeeping is also important.

Other info: If ther's anything else that you'd like to know about my application process, what I'm using to revise etc., let me know and I'll add it here to help others. One thing I can think to add now is work experience.
Work Experience: relevant work experience is essential to demonstrate that you've had some sort of insight into the medical profession and have relfected on things you've seen and learnt. It's also a great time to gain tips and advice from any relevant healthcare professionals that can help improve your personal statement and prepare you for interviews. Here's my relevant experience (so far!):
-volunteering at a local hospice (over 1 year):- I was lucky enough to be able to volunteer at my local hospice, serving the patients their meals and keeping them company. It was also a great opportunity to get to know the nurses and healthcare assistants there and ask questions. Within my time there I was also able to do a ward round, and complete a six month course that worked towards a certificate incorporating the 15 standards of care. This meant I gained a lot more knowledge than I would've done in just a few days work experience, and i got some formal training like manual handling and feeding companion too.

-placement at local DGH (one week):- This was a great experience as I was able to see multiple wards, and speak to a lot of people. It also happened to be on the week of Black Wednesday, the day junior doctors all switch their placements between or within hospitals at the same time and newly qualified junior doctors start work. This meant I got to see a lot more as the doctor I shadowed moved from haemotology to MAU.

-being student governor in my student union (sep-may roughly):- although this isn't medical experience, the qualities used for this role or similar and things learnt are easliy transferrable to the medical porfession. For example, teamwork to ensure events and ideas run smoothly is similar to teamwork in a medical environment where differnet professionals work together to ensure the highest standard of patient care.

-working night shifts:- my new job will be working night shifts, normally from 10pm-7am, as I haven't had a full-time job before let alone done a night shift it'll be a shock to the system however even this is relevant, as doctors often work very unsociable hours. The skills I learn from this and how I reflect on it can link back to medicine.

So that's all for now. Not sure how often I'll update this but will try and keep it regular, at the moment it'll mainly be about UKCAT revision and researching unis to apply to. I hope you'll join me on my journey into medicine if you want me to tag you in posts just let me know

Spoiler:
Show
:heart: WOO GO LDS! :happy2:
Will love to be tagged in this :love:
You can do this!!! :penguinhug: :woo: :ahee: :party: :yay: :dance: :bl: :banana: :banana2: :evilbanana:
I hope things are okay and that you're keeping up the photography too :woo:
student10005555
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
good lucks! tag me
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
:heart: WOO GO LDS! :happy2:
Will love to be tagged in this :love:
You can do this!!! :penguinhug: :woo: :ahee: :party: :yay: :dance: :bl: :banana: :banana2: :evilbanana:
I hope things are okay and that you're keeping up the photography too :woo:
Done and thank you!
I’ve been doing some mobile photography but not as much with my camera lately, trying to spend some more time doing that sort of thing to chill out
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by amaraub)
good lucks! tag me
Thanks! Done
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
31/08/18- just finished my first night shift! Slightly exhausted, but I made it! Proud that I was actually able to keep going all that time, although I started getting pretty tired around 5/6am. It got me thinking about doing night shifts as a doctor and how adaptable you have to be as well as resilient. Hoping that I’ll recover after some sleep, as I’m doing the same all over again in 14 hours
night night! Or good morning I guess?

L.D.S.
Rep:
?
6/9/18- in the last week I’ve done 4 9 hour night shifts, started my ucas application and revised for the ukcat. I’ve been using the 1250 questions book for when I go to work as I get there around 40 mins early, but I had a couple of days break from using medify in-between the night shifts and on my weekend as I was pretty tired and my body clock was all messed up I’m back to using Medify daily again with it being two weeks today until my exam, aiming to complete at least 200 questions a day so far today I’ve done around 100, and emailed my college bc I have no idea who is doing my reference. But overall been quite a productive day. Looking forward to when applications and the aptitude tests are over so I can focus on studying for resits, the sooner I start the better. Hope everyone is having a good day!

L.D.S.
Rep:
?
7/9/18- just finished doing around 200 UKCAT questions using Medify. Overall average seems to be slowly increasing, up to 80% now. Situational Judgement is the lowest scoring section with around a 73% average, with verbal and quantitative reasoning being my strongest sections at around 85%. Starting to feel more confident but need to start doing more times practise especially with abstract reasoning, which I find near impossible with the time restrictions anyway off to work in a minute now, ready to work until morning, sleep then do it all again xD

L.D.S.
Rep:
?
15/9/18- Hi! I’ve been super busy recently so haven’t set aside time to write an update, so I will attempt to do so now on the bus home from work. Work has been getting better overall, I think I’m getting used to a) working full time and b) being awake all through the night until 9am. I’ve been busy revising for the ukcat too, still haven’t done as much timed practise or official questions as I’d like but I have 3 days off work right before the exam next week so hoping to do a mock a day then and lots of timed practise and final adjustments, along with a plan for when I go into the exam

I’m feeling excited to start revising for biology and chemistry as soon as all the uni stuff is sorted out, and determined to prove to myself and others what I’m capable of. I’m still chasing people at college to help with ucas stuff and haven’t found out for sure if I’m applying for any BMAT unis yet.. if not then resit revision starts at the end of this month.

One thing getting me down a little is my social life. The vast majority of my friends have gone to uni, and I’ve drifted from quite a few people since college ended. I’ve only gone out once properly to meet people I’ve since results day, and due to the hours I work it’s even less time I have to see people as they’re working themselves and have other courses they’re doing. So yeah, that’s getting me down a bit tbh, as I don’t feel close to anyone atm plus home life isn’t that great. However I’m trying to keep a positive mindset despite this and focus on positives- I’m making friends at work and getting familiar with people there so that’s some social time aha. Hope everyone has a good day!

Tags:

CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDS16)
15/9/18- Hi! I’ve been super busy recently so haven’t set aside time to write an update, so I will attempt to do so now on the bus home from work. Work has been getting better overall, I think I’m getting used to a) working full time and b) being awake all through the night until 9am. I’ve been busy revising for the ukcat too, still haven’t done as much timed practise or official questions as I’d like but I have 3 days off work right before the exam next week so hoping to do a mock a day then and lots of timed practise and final adjustments, along with a plan for when I go into the exam

I’m feeling excited to start revising for biology and chemistry as soon as all the uni stuff is sorted out, and determined to prove to myself and others what I’m capable of. I’m still chasing people at college to help with ucas stuff and haven’t found out for sure if I’m applying for any BMAT unis yet.. if not then resit revision starts at the end of this month.

One thing getting me down a little is my social life. The vast majority of my friends have gone to uni, and I’ve drifted from quite a few people since college ended. I’ve only gone out once properly to meet people I’ve since results day, and due to the hours I work it’s even less time I have to see people as they’re working themselves and have other courses they’re doing. So yeah, that’s getting me down a bit tbh, as I don’t feel close to anyone atm plus home life isn’t that great. However I’m trying to keep a positive mindset despite this and focus on positives- I’m making friends at work and getting familiar with people there so that’s some social time aha. Hope everyone has a good day!

Tags:

:grouphugs: You're going to do just fine!
I know what you mean about the friends thing, everyone is always like " we'll keep in touch" but the reality is that it becomes so hard to do that when everything is so wild and new and crazy around you at uni :sadnod:
however, that doesn't mean they've forgotten you! :nah: They'll still think of you and miss you sometimes, make sure to send them messages now and then, find out what their timetables are like, if you get a spare moment, u could even go and visit if it isn't too far?
or go for a catch up in the holidays Just some of the things I did that I thought you might like to know :jumphug: u got this and don't worry, you'll make loads of friends through Uni because you are amazing :love:

Hope you are okay and the shifts aren't too bad!
Sending you lots of :penguinhug: 's
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
:grouphugs: You're going to do just fine!
I know what you mean about the friends thing, everyone is always like " we'll keep in touch" but the reality is that it becomes so hard to do that when everything is so wild and new and crazy around you at uni :sadnod:
however, that doesn't mean they've forgotten you! :nah: They'll still think of you and miss you sometimes, make sure to send them messages now and then, find out what their timetables are like, if you get a spare moment, u could even go and visit if it isn't too far?
or go for a catch up in the holidays Just some of the things I did that I thought you might like to know :jumphug: u got this and don't worry, you'll make loads of friends through Uni because you are amazing :love:

Hope you are okay and the shifts aren't too bad!
Sending you lots of :penguinhug: 's
Thank you! Yeah I completely understand with people going to uni and how much is going on, just sucks a bit with the people who are still here and doing stuff and not really involving me (live in a relatively small town).

But yes visiting is a good idea and seeing people in the holidays, one friend has moved to Malta so planning to go there and visit for a bit soon

Thanks again shifts aren’t too bad think they’re getting better overall but saying that just slept for 11 hours because neighbours kept waking me up...
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDS16)
Thank you! Yeah I completely understand with people going to uni and how much is going on, just sucks a bit with the people who are still here and doing stuff and not really involving me (live in a relatively small town).

But yes visiting is a good idea and seeing people in the holidays, one friend has moved to Malta so planning to go there and visit for a bit soon

Thanks again shifts aren’t too bad think they’re getting better overall but saying that just slept for 11 hours because neighbours kept waking me up...
yeah :cube: but you'll find better at uni, trust me

:hugs: you got it! :yep:

I am so glad <3
wow 11hrs! :eek4: i want to sleep for that long tbh, i need it
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
yeah :cube: but you'll find better at uni, trust me

:hugs: you got it! :yep:

I am so glad <3
wow 11hrs! :eek4: i want to sleep for that long tbh, i need it
Thank you, I’m looking forward to uni. Where do you go again?

Ikr, most I’ve slept in months lol. Get some zzzs
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDS16)
Thank you, I’m looking forward to uni. Where do you go again?

Ikr, most I’ve slept in months lol. Get some zzzs
You Will love it :hugs:
Uni of Southampton

I did just woke up lel
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
You Will love it :hugs:
Uni of Southampton

I did just woke up lel
Ahh, one of my best friends has gone there! I’ll probably be popping down there to visit her soon

:congrats: I just woke up too after being woken up by neighbours for the 10th time, slept for about 3 hours.. works gonna be fun :L
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDS16)
Ahh, one of my best friends has gone there! I’ll probably be popping down there to visit her soon

:congrats: I just woke up too after being woken up by neighbours for the 10th time, slept for about 3 hours.. works gonna be fun :L
come say hi :ninja:
lol noooo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (28)
26.42%
1 (16)
15.09%
2 (16)
15.09%
3 (12)
11.32%
4 (9)
8.49%
5 (10)
9.43%