The Student Room Group

Should I steal my housemate's room? 👀

Ok so, I have FINALLY found a house to stay in next year. It's with my course mate who i get along with- aswell as his mates. Since I've only just paid for the house but they got it and paid for it months before, they already chosen the rooms. Which of course leaves me with the worst room. The room is bloody tiny...

Heres the thing, Im 6ft5, weigh over 250llbs... like i am a really big guy. I just don't think its fair that i have to live in that tiny box. like the other guys are like 5.ft5 and small as hell and wouldn't need that much space, but i clearly would.
Should i move in early and take a bigger room and wait for what they say?...
If they have already selected rooms and they paid first, it wouldn't be good practice to take someone else's room without saying anything. After all, you will be living together for the next year so you don't want to cause any arguments! Before you move in, you could ask one of your housemates if they are willing to swap rooms?
Original post by tbeyan
Ok so, I have FINALLY found a house to stay in next year. It's with my course mate who i get along with- aswell as his mates. Since I've only just paid for the house but they got it and paid for it months before, they already chosen the rooms. Which of course leaves me with the worst room. The room is bloody tiny...

Heres the thing, Im 6ft5, weigh over 250llbs... like i am a really big guy. I just don't think its fair that i have to live in that tiny box. like the other guys are like 5.ft5 and small as hell and wouldn't need that much space, but i clearly would.

Up to you.
Normally you have a method for sorting this out.
You should pay less.
Presumably you knew you had the smaller room?
You can try bit id think the rest of the house would rightly take his side.

Why not get another place?
Personally I feel that if you do that you’ll be seriously rocking the boat . You have to live with them for a year , it won’t be fun if they all dislike you and don’t want anything to do with you . I know that if that happened to me I would be seriously unhappy and hold a grudge for quite sometime . I think it’s something you need to discuss with them and see if any of them are willing to swap . I know that I would appreciate that and be more willing to swap . Just state your case bd ask if they could swap with you .
It wouldn't be fair to just take the room without discussing it with anyone first. Ask if any of the others would want to swap but don't be surprised if no one does - maybe talk about paying less rent for having the smaller room?
Original post by bones-mccoy
It wouldn't be fair to just take the room without discussing it with anyone first. Ask if any of the others would want to swap but don't be surprised if no one does - maybe talk about paying less rent for having the smaller room?

^all the advice the OP needs. +1
Nicking a room won’t make you popular.
So did this group find the house before you and then you tagged onto their already existent house group?

Moving into a room which isn't designated yours is VERY bad form. If you moved into my room without mentioning anything, I'd remove all your stuff from MY room and into the hallway.

You'll have to live with these people for the next year, something like this won't be forgotten.

Your best bet is diplomacy; speak with your housemates and see whether they'd be willing to swap. Could offer them X amount per week in exchange. If they paid first, it's certainly fair for them to choose rooms first.

How'd you feel if you'd chosen a bigger room, gets to move in day and you've been displaced to the smaller one?
Reply 8
Yeah I won't just nick it I guess. But im not even gonna bother to ask them because i know they'll say no 😂 they don't know who i am and all the other rooms are much nicer.
Reply 9
And also I've never been a fan about paying less for a smaller room. Not going to lie, ive been very vocal about these situation and i don't think it should be a thing hahahah. Because if someone pays less for a room, then that will mean you should pay less for heat bills because you don't use it or someone pay more for the electrical bill because they straighten their hair every day lol.
Negotiate once they move in, see if you can talk your way through. Don't steal it from them because you don't want to piss off people who you're gonna live with the first day they move in...
Original post by tbeyan

It was your choice to take the house and you have to accept the room that's left. if you want something better then find it.

You should pay less rent though whatever your 'principles' are about this.
Reply 12
Original post by Zerco
Negotiate once they move in, see if you can talk your way through. Don't steal it from them because you don't want to piss off people who you're gonna live with the first day they move in...

I'm moving in early anyway. So i cba to wait for them and see what they say as id have to move all my stuff out the small room and into another room. I'm just gonna suck it up. But i'll just use 'i have the small room' as a reason to get me out of situations like hoovering the stairs looooool
Why can you not speak to them honestly about it?

It’ll be a pretty hostile environment if you just take their room and have to live with them for the next year.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending