self teaching a level history and psychology in a year. any tips?

Watch
beccakalam1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i am taking a gap year and will be self teaching a level psychology and history. both AQA syllabus.

Any tips, revision tips, essay tips/ recommendations/ websites?

history modules - the british empire + the sun king

should i read outside the topic for history and if so, what books do you recommend?

any extra info would be really helpful
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beccakalam1)
i am taking a gap year and will be self teaching a level psychology and history. both AQA syllabus.

Any tips, revision tips, essay tips/ recommendations/ websites?

history modules - the british empire + the sun king

should i read outside the topic for history and if so, what books do you recommend?

any extra info would be really helpful
For Psychology, I'd just practice essay structures and questions, as well as learning evaluation points. If you're doing the whole A-Level for Psychology, do you know what option topics you're doing? Also, I'd suggest making flashcards with key studies on and key words, so you can use them in exams to get more marks. I didn't do History, but I'd also practice questions and make flashcards. However, use a learning style that works best for you.
beccakalam1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AJ_3003)
For Psychology, I'd just practice essay structures and questions, as well as learning evaluation points. If you're doing the whole A-Level for Psychology, do you know what option topics you're doing? Also, I'd suggest making flashcards with key studies on and key words, so you can use them in exams to get more marks. I didn't do History, but I'd also practice questions and make flashcards. However, use a learning style that works best for you.
the options I'm going to do is schizophrenia, forensic pathology and cognition and development

also thank you for the tips
Geek5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did A Level History and found one of the hardest things about it was the exam technique. You might need a tutor to look at your essays to make sure you're structuring them right. An essay with A* content but poor structure will get you a D.
username3687396
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the options I'm going to do is schizophrenia, forensic pathology and cognition and development

also thank you for the tips
It's a shame I didn't do any of those topics. No worries about the advice either, I'm happy to help. Would you like any website links for resources?
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey!

I’m a student who’s mostly self teaching both this subjects due to illness (although I’m technically still registered at sixth form, my attendance is unfortunately super low)

AQA Psychology - Best tip, get the textbooks. The AS and A2 textbooks, alongside the exam companions. The thing with psychology is no wider reading is necessary so if you learn the content in the textbooks, apply it correctly, that’s enough for a good grade!

For history, I take different modules. But, researching around the topic and not just reading textbooks is good. Looking at historians interpretations, establishing a good essay structure, will help a bunch.
beccakalam1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AJ_3003)
It's a shame I didn't do any of those topics. No worries about the advice either, I'm happy to help. Would you like any website links for resources?
yes please, that would be amazing. The websites my tutor has recommended is tutor2u and simply psychology. Do you recommend any more?
username3687396
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes please, that would be amazing. The websites my tutor has recommended is tutor2u and simply psychology. Do you recommend any more?
I'd recommend those two definitely, especially Tutor2U. Honestly, I wish I found it sooner than I did as it would've helped me lots in the exams. I'd also recommend https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...logy-revision/ as it is useful for some topics, although the evalutions aren't fully clear on some spreads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%
Italy (31)
9.57%
Netherlands (10)
3.09%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise