The Student Room Group

Government proposes energy drinks ban for children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Icypricy
x

It kinda sounds like your sister has an eating disorder?
Original post by londonmyst
I'm so sorry about your sister.
Does she have problems with her body image, self esteem issues or a history of being targeted by bullies at school?

She always talks about how skinny I am and compares her size to me (she is skinny but not like me as her bones are thicker than mine but she was born a chubby baby whilst I wasn’t so my bones are thinner. So she can’t really change her bone size). I eat the most in the house and stay my size and my sister never gains weight either when she eats so I don’t know why she would stop eating. She also complains about her skin colour (I’m pale whilst she’s more tanned which no one cares about but she does so she bought a skin lightening moisturiser - I think she wants to look like an anime person or something cuz she watches that stuff all night plus she cut her hair like them). She has lots of friends at school who come over all the time and message her and stuff more than my own friends.

At this point in time I think she’s ‘addicted’ if that’s the word and if it is even possible to Monster drinks because when we run out she goes crazy and forces mum to get more and is extremely irritable and annoying and angry and talks really fast.
Banning energy drinks for u16 is dumb af. We should have a ban for U15's. We don't need more regulation, we need to allow people to make their own decisions. Banned energy drinks for u18's can also be unfair for A level students too. Imagine this:- You are born on August 31st and you have a classmate born on like Feburary. Your both in year 13, your 17 he is 18. He can pull all nighters and be awake for longer as he access to energy drinks. He has a greater chance of getting higher grades.

A counter argument can be made of :- Why does the 17 year old not just drink coffee?

Answer:- Yes he can drink coffee, but the argument I have made is on ACCESSIBILITY, it's easier to access energy drinks than coffee.
Original post by MrDystopia
The sale of energy drinks could be banned in England to anybody under 18, amid fears they are damaging children's health, the prime minister has said.

The government has launched a public consultation on its plans to make it illegal to sell the drinks to children.

Energy drinks contain high levels of sugar and caffeine and have been linked to obesity and other health issues.

The government is asking for views on what age the ban should apply to, but gave under 16 and under 18 as options.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have the power to implement their own bans.

UK youngsters are among the highest consumers of energy drinks in Europe, research has previously suggested.

The drinks contain high levels of caffeine and sugar, often much more than those of standard soft drinks.

Excessive consumption has been linked to a range of health issues in children, from obesity, tooth decay, headaches and sleep problems to stomach aches and hyperactivity. Surveys from teachers unions have also suggested that they contribute to poor behaviour in classrooms, although claims they can alter behaviour have been contested.

The ban would apply to drinks containing 150mg of caffeine or more per litre.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45342682

So, are you in favour or against such a policy being implemented. Do the health concerns mean these products shouldn't be available to our youth, or do you think that this is an example of the state interfering when it shouldn't?

I was reading research from a university in Germany that showed that depending on the genetics of an individual, they could have either positive or negative results. By positive or negative I mean benefits and disadvantages of alertness and performance shown through weightlifting. The research was backed up by a control group and placebo group. I would say that there should be limitations on whether a child around the age of 13 can buy energy drinks. The research was not on energy drinks itself but it was on caffeine. I will try source and edit post.
(edited 5 years ago)
I like the idea of banning them for under-16s, but the title of the poll is rather misleading (TSR seems to only use the poll title when making its daily polls). If energy drinks were made illegal (which is what I interpreted the poll to be about), at least half of all math and compsci students would riot. Energy drinks are unhealthy as heck and could cause massive problems for children, but they are a lifesaver in times of last-minute deadlines. Though I doubt you actually meant making them illegal, I’m just explaining why I voted “No” in the poll.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 65
That’s good.
Energy drinks have their place for when you direly need to not feel like death in a clutch situation, but I can't imagine any real scenario where somebody under 16 would need that kind of pick me up. Lil dudes barely even started GCSEs.

Banning for under 18 is a bit of a strange one since that would imply we apparently trust 16 year olds to practice safe sex and not accumulate a large amount of STDs given the age of consent, but would not trust these same individuals to consume a reasonable amount of red bull. But then the law's inconsistent on basically everything at this point so **** it, I guess? Jeez.

Original post by SomMC1
Isnt Sainsbury already asking for ID before selling energy drinks in the UK? Or it might be another shopping market.. (maybe Morrisons)

I thought it was all of them nowadays.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Energy drinks have their place for when you direly need to not feel like death in a clutch situation, but I can't imagine any real scenario where somebody under 16 would need that kind of pick me up. Lil dudes barely even started GCSEs.

Banning for under 18 is a bit of a strange one since that would imply we apparently trust 16 year olds to practice safe sex and not accumulate a large amount of STDs given the age of consent, but would not trust these same individuals to consume a reasonable amount of red bull. But then the law's inconsistent on basically everything at this point so **** it, I guess? Jeez.

Imagine living in such an authoritarian and backwards state, where the country is more concerned about u18s drinking energy drinks rather than actual big issues. Just lol at the fools saying the government should do the ban, enjoy the extra taxes
Original post by Retired_Messiah

Some ppl do GCSE at 15years old
They shouldn't have been allowed to exist in the first place. The 'nanny state' comments are immature and boring.
Reply 70
The government are halfwits.
Reply 71
Original post by YaliaV
They shouldn't have been allowed to exist in the first place. The 'nanny state' comments are immature and boring.

You must have big ones saying that after your first sentence... :lol:
Original post by Napp
You must have big ones saying that after your first sentence... :lol:

I mean they're played out and smack of an ill-thought out argument. Are you supposed to be so rude as a representative of TSR?
Reply 73
Original post by YaliaV
I mean they're played out and smack of an ill-thought out argument. Are you supposed to be so rude as a representative of TSR?

I'm merely pointing out how your second sentence is in direct contradiction to your first. Nothing I said was rude.
However, if you were so offended by my pointing out said contradiction i offer my apologies.
Original post by Napp
I'm merely pointing out how your second sentence is in direct contradiction to your first. Nothing I said was rude.
However, if you were so offended by my pointing out said contradiction i offer my apologies.

You were deliberately trying to provoke because you disagreed with my point - don't be disingenuous now. The passive aggressive tone of your post is just lovely.
Reply 75
Original post by YaliaV
You were deliberately trying to provoke because you disagreed with my point - don't be disingenuous now.

Whats to be disingenuous about? I thought it was quite obvious i disagreed with your post - mainly because you didnt make a "point" aside from saying it should have been illegal to start with, an inherently risible suggestion.

The passive aggressive tone of your post is just lovely.

I wasn't aware you could convey a 'passive aggressive' tone via text? Interesting.
Original post by Napp
Whats to be disingenuous about? I thought it was quite obvious i disagreed with your post - mainly because you didnt make a "point" aside from saying it should have been illegal to start with, an inherently risible suggestion.

I wasn't aware you could convey a 'passive aggressive' tone via text? Interesting.

You disagreed with my post and you were childish in your response...that kind of proves my point.

Of course you can be passive aggressive via text.
Reply 77
Original post by YaliaV
You disagreed with my post and you were childish in your response...that kind of proves my point.

In your limited opinion on the matter, maybe.
You didn't make a point to start with :lol: You specifically had a lack of a point. Indeed a lack of a coherent post for that matter as well. Saying how it 'should have been banned to start with' then railing on about the so called nanny state comments being 'immature and boring'.

Of course you can be passive aggressive via text.

Sigh, my point was more that it is rather difficult to accurately gauge someones tone via text. At any rate it would just appear that you are overly easily offended when people don't agree with your "point".

As an addendum though; sarcasm is not the same as passive aggressive, just for the record.
Original post by yolkie
The problem isn't the contents of a single can, it's the sum of the intake of many children due to the availability and culture surrounding the consumption. No 13 year old is going to drink 3 cups of coffee in a day (note they still won't have come close to the amount of sugar) but they will readily buy several cans of monster and drink them all.

You'd be surprised, one of my friends said they couldn't wake up properly without it at that age and she had at least two cups once when I saw her.
Original post by Grade A
It's stupid that they're banning it, and it's even more stupid that the legal age for it will be 18!
Are they actually implying that Energy Drinks are as bad as alcohol?:facepalm:

I'm just gonna buy out my local corner shop and make a fortune selling these to Year 7s & 8s cus they'd think they look cool if they drunk it.

the hell is wrong with you??!! 🤐😣😵😠😡🤬😤😬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending