Mb.68-72
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently in the process of writing my personal statement for law, and i have heard that a law personal statement entails a different approach. Thus, can someone please send me an outline of what is required in every paragraph. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i dont understand.
why would a law ps be different to any other ones?
flyingbird123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, before I give you any advice, I wanna make sure you know that there is no set structure for a good personal statement (and I've never heard of a law personal statement requiring a different approach? that statement is a little broad)....and that you should NOT follow a set structure because it will end up poorly written and very cliche.

What I think you're asking though, is what a personal statement is meant to be about (?). Basically, it's an essay about YOU that explains why you want to study the course, what skills and experiences you already have, and how those experiences are relevant to your course and your career. There is no "required" content for each paragraph, it's up to you to decide (and as I said before DO NOT do it according to an outline), however I can tell you what content most personal statements cover.

- Opening paragraph: A strong opening statement (for eg. a sentence to summarize why you want to study Law, and what you hope to achieve by studying a Law course). The opening statement can sometimes be very long (an entire paragraph haha!). Also summarise your skills/experiences and relate them to your Law course AND your career.

- Body paragraphs: 70% - Academia, 30% - extracurricular was the advice my teachers gave me, so take it with a grain of salt.
One paragraph - you can devote the entire thing to explaining why you want to study law, and what your career aspirations are. Make sure you have a really good reason and don't write anything cliche like "it has always fascinated me from a very young age". What sparked your interest in law? What do you want to do with a law degree?

One paragraph for how your academic subjects (A Level subjects, IB subjects, etc.) can help you in Law. Like, what skills have you learnt from those subjects. How can you apply them to your law degree/career?

One paragraph for your other law related experiences. Work experience is what people usually write here. Write about any Law firm internships or any internships in general (?). Paragraph depends on whether or not you have law related WE, actually. If you don't have that many, feel free to elaborate on your extra curriculars.

One paragraph for your extra curriculars. This would be a good time to mention any leadership roles, school community projects that you have taken part in. Explain what you did, what skills it gave you, how has it developed you as a person, but always link back to the law degree/career!

For me, I had one paragraph about pre-reading that I did for Law, what I learnt from it, why it was so interesting to me, etc. If you have anything else to gloat about then obviously throw that in. I suggest you do some research on law and somehow try to incorporate it into your statement.

Conclusion - Closing statement - again refer to why you want to study law, what motivates you, any specific career ambitions (like barrister? ) and why. The closing statement is meant to make unis remember you.

I have alot more tips on how to write a good personal statement for Law - my own personal statement got me into a Top RG uni for Law, so if anything...let me know.

^In my opinion, that's a pretty basic overview of the PS, if anyone has other opinions, please add below.

(Original post by Mark jam)
I am currently in the process of writing my personal statement for law, and i have heard that a law personal statement entails a different approach. Thus, can someone please send me an outline of what is required in every paragraph. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (24)
6.02%
Uncertainty around my education (45)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (46)
11.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (52)
13.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (20)
5.01%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (18)
4.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (41)
10.28%
Financial worries (27)
6.77%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (17)
4.26%
Exposure to negative news/social media (26)
6.52%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (11)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (40)
10.03%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (32)
8.02%

Watched Threads