The Student Room Group

Is it rude/inappropriate to look through someone's window as you walk past?

Although I try very hard not to, I always find myself looking through the windows of shops, houses and other buildings as I walk past them. It is almost like a natural instinct that I have.

I try to look straight ahead and not look in when I am walking past a house/shop/other building, but I involuntarily end up looking in anyway.

Is it rude or considered creepy to do this? I do try to avoid doing it, but it is something I often do without thinking.

Scroll to see replies

Only if you lock eyes with the occupant and lick your lips.
Reply 2
looking through a shops window isnt rude at all lol
a quick glance through someones house window isnt rude but staring like a crazy person is
Reply 3
Original post by King Leonidas
Only if you meet eyes with the occupant and lick your lips.

I don't stand there staring into some random person's window. It happens when I walk past, which is for a split second.
Reply 4
Original post by PattoR
looking through a shops window isnt rude at all lol
a quick glance through someones house window isnt rude but staring like a crazy person is

I would never just stand there staring through someone's window, because even I know that doing that is beyond creepy and could be illegal.
Look at the floor in more detail. The leaves, the cracks and the path is causes. Should help with concentration
I think its rude to look into someones home but not shops. It really gets on my nerves that people walk past my house then proceed to stare inside while I'm sat watching tv and enjoying a glass of wine. I've now resorted to voile panels (net curtains really) to obscure the window and people look in much less now.
Probably but if you are one of those people who leave the curtains wide open with the lights on and no net curtains it's your own fault if people can see in
Original post by Trainboy
Although I try very hard not to, I always find myself looking through the windows of shops, houses and other buildings as I walk past them. It is almost like a natural instinct that I have.

I try to look straight ahead and not look in when I am walking past a house/shop/other building, but I involuntarily end up looking in anyway.

Is it rude or considered creepy to do this? I do try to avoid doing it, but it is something I often do without thinking.

I look through people's windows all the time when I go for my nightly walks. I like knowing what people are up to lol
Do you know how many times I’ve checked myself on a car window and someone randomly pops up ... it’s dangerous!!!
I don't stand there staring into some random person's window. It happens when I walk past, which is for a split second.

then what is the big deal, why are you asking?
Reply 11
Original post by Bang Outta Order
then what is the big deal, why are you asking?

Oh. I just wanted to know if it was still rude if you looked in for a split second while you were walking?
Oh. I just wanted to know if it was still rude if you looked in for a split second while you were walking?

...? are you joking?
How can you be close enough to someone’s window to see inside?
Reply 14
I was once walking home from somewhere (I can't remember where) and I involuntarily looked into a house as I walked past it, and a man was in there. He gave me a dirty look. I suspected it was rude to that after that.
Yeah it's pretty annoying for the people living there. Even if people are just glancing in for a split second, it doesn't feel nice to think that people are watching you all the time. Probably best to try and brake that habit if you can.
Reply 16
Original post by Student1191

I didn't see anything, other than a man looking out of the window glaring at me.
Reply 17
Original post by Rainfall
Do you know how many times I’ve checked myself on a car window and someone randomly pops up ... it’s dangerous!!!

I have done that many times, usually to check my hair or to adjust a piece of clothing I was wearing, and the driver looks at me like I am an idiot.
I think we all do it sometimes. The worst is when the occupant notices you before you notice the occupant and have been looking in for >10 seconds. But people do not like being watched, no. It is technically a bit rude.

Original post by Student1191

It's pretty easy to look into the front windows of any place without a front garden.
No, my neighbour doesn’t like it though. Could be something to do with the fact that I was using a ladder though..

Quick Reply

Latest