The Student Room Group

Should I pick Eng Lit or History?? HELP!

Right, so I’ve picked chemistry and biology but I’m really torn on which one out of the two to pick as my third A level. Trying to pick the one I enjoy the most would be futile because I love both the subjects equally, and it honestly breaks my heart with the thought of having to part with one.

I guess which one out of the two seems the most beneficial and useful in the long run?

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you!
Original post by Akeloz
Right, so I’ve picked chemistry and biology but I’m really torn on which one out of the two to pick as my third A level. Trying to pick the one I enjoy the most would be futile because I love both the subjects equally, and it honestly breaks my heart with the thought of having to part with one.

I guess which one out of the two seems the most beneficial and useful in the long run?

That was my dilemna too but I ultimately chose History. May I ask what you want to do at Uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Volkerbund1933
That was my dilemna too but I ultimately chose History. May I ask what you want to do at Uni?

Honestly I don’t even know. I’m thinking maybe of going into medicine, bio chemistry, natural sciences or even international relations and going more into politics.
Reply 3
If you want to go to do medicine, you should really have 3 sciences (maths counts as a science). The course is very competitive. Not sure for bio-Chen or natural sciences though... but I would say that History would be better for International Relations because you look at past conflicts, etc. But the decision is ultimately up to you!
I do both and prefer English personally. Plus it is a good compliment to sciences as something more artistic. Also consider which one you're better at because that can still be quite important.
Yep, think about which of the two you are best at. History fits quite nicely with politics and you can’t really do it in your spare time whereas you can read in your spare time.
Do you know what topics/books are on your school's chosen spec? That might help you decide! I would have chosen History for AS but Tudors was a big topic..... Didn't feel like learning that :biggrin:.

Also, maybe check some universities' entry requirements for international relations or politics if those are the ones you're considering and see what they say but history and english are both "facilitating subjects" and "reputable" so I don't think you can go wrong with either?
I did chem, bio, maths and history for the first week of sixth form (only went to one history lesson) then I switched history with English lit and thank Jesus I did that. I'm now probably going to do chem, bio and English lit for year 13 as a medicine applicant. I realised I would be better suited to English because history can get very arduous and balancing that with sciences and maths would have been impossible for me. In English lit you learn not only English but history, psychology, sociological and philosophical concepts; it's very different to GCSE due to its versatility. I feel like the workload for history is crazy compared to English lit and I personally feel that English compliments science more. For me, it's a much easier subject than history. The only things you have to memorise are quotes from the book, critical quotes and contextual details. You'll really appreciate that when studying biology to which the content and workload is maaaad.

Think about other factors like the books you'll be studying in English vs the courses you'll be studying in history. Learning about Tudor England for a year did not entice me at all. Also consider the different departments in your school -- which is better? Which subject did you get a higher GCSE result in?
I would do history as the marking is less subjective and therefore could be argued that it is slightly easier to do better than in english lit
Original post by Akeloz

Those who take science are generally more inclined to take history than English literature.

Look at the course content for both. If you had to chose, which is what you do (unless you’re willing to drop chemistry or biology) it’s a case of which subjects contents you’re more interested in.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest