How good is LGIM when compared to Blackrock or JP Morgan Asset Management? Watch

mahmoodjr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have recently been made an offer at Legal and General Investment Management. The offer made is very competitive but as LGIM don't have a graduate program (and don't network at universities), its difficult for me to gauge how good this will be for building my career.

I just wanted to know how people ranked LGIM amongst other large asset management firms such as BlackRock, JPM AM, GS AM etc. Although they operate like the aforementioned AM firms, their clients are restricted to pension and insurance firms (so they have a completely different risk appetite) - how do you think this will affect my exit opportunities?

Appreciate any insight.
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well it depends what you want to do afterwards. LGIM is a well respected asset manager although some might consider it boring (myself included) to start a career there as people tend to have a bigger appetite for risk.
mahmoodjr
Rep:
?
I agree. Due to their client base, they have to responsible with their capital and hence their returns are usually LIBOR 40bips, for example. This clearly is a far cry from the returns targeted by JPMAM. But what would you say this means for career progression? Would it limit my exit opportunities in industries with a greater risk appetite (HF/PE)?
xtrembob
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well PE from a non IBD background is almost impossible. Cannot speak about HFs its usually on a case by case basis, however for other AMs you should be fine.
mahmoodjr
Rep:
?
(Original post by xtrembob)
Well PE from a non IBD background is almost impossible. Cannot speak about HFs its usually on a case by case basis, however for other AMs you should be fine.
Thank you for your insight. When compared to other asset management firms, am I correct in thinking that its brand name is inferior to BlackRock and JP Morgan?
xtrembob
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mahmoodjr)
Thank you for your insight. When compared to other asset management firms, am I correct in thinking that its brand name is inferior to BlackRock and JP Morgan?
Correct.
AL5502
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mahmoodjr)
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have recently been made an offer at Legal and General Investment Management. The offer made is very competitive but as LGIM don't have a graduate program (and don't network at universities), its difficult for me to gauge how good this will be for building my career.

I just wanted to know how people ranked LGIM amongst other large asset management firms such as BlackRock, JPM AM, GS AM etc. Although they operate like the aforementioned AM firms, their clients are restricted to pension and insurance firms (so they have a completely different risk appetite) - how do you think this will affect my exit opportunities?

Appreciate any insight.
Do LGIM not recruit at Graduate Level at all, only through the Internship?
mahmoodjr
Rep:
?
(Original post by AL5502)
Do LGIM not recruit at Graduate Level at all, only through the Internship?
LGIM have a long standing relationship with the university of Bath and recruit placement year students. However, they are now trialling graduate recruitment but as it is in its primitive stage, there are no networking events at universities. Hence, it is difficult for me to evaluate how good the offer is without speaking to current grad recruits etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads