The Student Room Group

My parents don't approve of my career choice

So, I want to be an events manager, which is a fact that my parents are well aware of, and quite frankly they are not impressed. They said I shouldn't go into an "anyhow job where you're out of employment by tomorrow" and my mother refuses to accept it because she's always like "you haven't decided yet". My parents reeeeally want me to be a lawyer because "you'll enjoy making lots of money" and that because I argue so much, I'll be really good at it. It's so much worse because my older sister is going into medicine so it makes me look all the more bad. They already want me to think about the uni I want to go to, and I'm only 15! They also say I have to get all A*s, because I'm in top set for everything and I'm "more than capable without a tutor" (my sister got one and only got one A*. I'm doing better than she did at my age so uh, yeah. I wish I hadn't explained the new grading system to my mother now.)

Even my drama teacher says it sounds "a bit below me". I just really want to do something that I'm passionate about, and I don't think the salary is too bad either. Being a forensic scientist sounds fun as well, and I think my parents might approve of that, but I can't be too sure with them anymore (after all, they did ban me from reading books once). It's frustrating because everyone else is supportive apart from my parents (and my older sister, but come on, who listens to those?). I just wish they could be supportive and stop pressing me to go to a Russell group uni, etc. Sorry for the rant guys, but when your mother already has your a-level subjects picked out for you (chemistry, biology and maths - she thinks I'm top of the class for maths becaus I can do basic calculations in my head rapidly and she misheard my maths teacher one Parent's Evening) it gets a tad bit annoying.

Anyone else can relate?
I know what an events manager is, but I don't understand the process how you earn income. Regardless, you can make a lot of money from marketing, which is apart of events management I'm sure, and you can study Business Management perhaps. But yes, what exactly is events management? And maybe for supplemental related experience you can do catering food service jobs at events? Or promotions? Or sales? Dunno lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Whilst it is a good idea to follow what you like to do theres no need to decide at age 15 what you want to do for a job, focus on doing well in school and wether you change your mind or not dont feel like there is a time pressure to make up your own mind.
Do something you're passionate about. There is no point being in a career you don't love for the sake of your parents. It will make you unhappy. However, they are only looking out for your best interests. You need to explain to them respectfully that money isn't your primary motivation and won't make you happy.
Reply 4
tbh i can't relate at all. my parents have never ever tried to direct my path. they raised me to be an extremely independent person and they never interfered or tried to influence my ambitions. truth is, you'll probably change your mind a few times over before you decide what degree you want to study. you'll also probably change careers a few times in life, like most of us. so your parents need to chill.

i'm studying law btw. i love it, but you tell your parents it is not a sure fire way to make lots of money - i mean do they realise how competitive it is? definitely not a less risky degree/career at all.
Omg my parents wanted me to become a doctor this, doctor that. I didnt have a career I was set on at that time so I just went with the flow. Getting good grades at GCSE meant that their expectations of me were getting even higher and I was just digging my own grave
But, I decided on what I wanted to be myself. However this meant that I had to decline an offer from a red brick uni I got into on results day. In order to do what I wanted yet still remain lazy and stay in my city, it meant I had to go to a Uni ranked 30 times lower.
I thought my dad would be really sad because he is a multilingual genius scholar who whizzed through schools all around the world at a young age. BUT after the conversation, I realised that my 5 years of guessing what my parents wanted of me and tip toeing around them was all for nothing. All my dad wanted was for me to do what I wanted to do and go where I wanted. He was even smiling and bought me a new phone, I was so shook

I realised their high expectations for me was not the same as them telling me what to do. They were just trying to big me up all that time telling me I COULD become a doctor not BE a doctor. I thought they were ordering me to live a certain life. But it was all a silly illusion birthed from the fact that I was too scared to have a proper conversation with my parents.

But it looks like your parents are the real deal. Proper communication changed my life and released all my stresses. Maybe if you continued to talk to them and persuade them that this is your passion, they will support you?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ibuki.Missions
So, I want to be an events manager, which is a fact that my parents are well aware of, and quite frankly they are not impressed. They said I shouldn't go into an "anyhow job where you're out of employment by tomorrow" and my mother refuses to accept it because she's always like "you haven't decided yet". My parents reeeeally want me to be a lawyer because "you'll enjoy making lots of money" and that because I argue so much, I'll be really good at it. It's so much worse because my older sister is going into medicine so it makes me look all the more bad. They already want me to think about the uni I want to go to, and I'm only 15! They also say I have to get all A*s, because I'm in top set for everything and I'm "more than capable without a tutor" (my sister got one and only got one A*. I'm doing better than she did at my age so uh, yeah. I wish I hadn't explained the new grading system to my mother now.)

Anyone else can relate?

You must not let your parents choose your A levels. I'm a teacher and this sort of situation makes me angry. Parents are there to support their children not run their lives for them.

Hang in there :smile:
It's understandable that your parents want you to be financially stable in the future but you won't make the money unless you work very hard and you simply won't put the effort into a career that you're not passionate about. Stick with what you enjoy at the moment, you're only 15 - you could very well change your mind before uni or even afterwards. There's no rush. One thing I will say is that forensic science isn't anywhere near as fun as it's made out to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending