HNC Science - URGENT PLEASE HELP :(

Watch
Banana88
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just started an HNC Applied Science wih Chemistry as the main focus. I am struggling already with the Chemistry as I haven't done it in almost 10 years. I thought we'd get a refresher of it at the start, but everyone else is straight out of school or a lower level science course so it's fresh in their heads. The level is essentially Advanced Higher Chemistry, so I dunno how to remind myself of Nat 5 and Higher Chemistry rapidly enough to be caught up with everyone else. I did revise lower level Chemistry before starting the course but it's not high enough.

I am and always have been better at Biology. However, I chose the Chemistry focused course as it interests me more. Now I think I've made a huge mistake. I'm only one week in for crying out loud. I'm stressed and on the verge of tears though.

Does anyone have any advice on what steps to take next? I'm so upset about it all. Please help
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jojobanana88)
I've just started an HNC Applied Science wih Chemistry as the main focus. I am struggling already with the Chemistry as I haven't done it in almost 10 years. I thought we'd get a refresher of it at the start, but everyone else is straight out of school or a lower level science course so it's fresh in their heads. The level is essentially Advanced Higher Chemistry, so I dunno how to remind myself of Nat 5 and Higher Chemistry rapidly enough to be caught up with everyone else. I did revise lower level Chemistry before starting the course but it's not high enough.

I am and always have been better at Biology. However, I chose the Chemistry focused course as it interests me more. Now I think I've made a huge mistake. I'm only one week in for crying out loud. I'm stressed and on the verge of tears though.

Does anyone have any advice on what steps to take next? I'm so upset about it all. Please help
Are you able to change your units to a more biology focused one? Is it a core unit? Your best bet is your lecturer. Ask him/her as much as you can about any problems you encounter. Also is the chemistry in the graded unit? Some questions may only be answerable by the course coordinator at tgis moment in time.
Banana88
Rep:
?
There's two different courses for the Applied Science. One is a Chemistry focused one and the other is Biology. The the Biology one is already packed with 40 odd students. Whereas our Chemistry one only has 18 or 19. Ours also has more credits (15 rather than 12).

There's a bit of Biology and a bit of Physics which I'm okay with, but the Chemistry is advanced. Chemistry is what I want to do as it is more suited for uni courses I am hoping to apply for. I just don't know how to cram in all the revision I'll need to for the Chemistry. I'm going to speak to one of the lecturers today and see what I can do. I'm just really deflated as I was so looking forward to the course. The only entry requirement is a Higher C in Chemistry. Which I have done through my Access course but like I said it was years ago. I don't want to drop out but I'm already struggling. I'll speak to the lecturer though and hopefully sort something out...

Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it!
The Scotfather
Report 2 years ago
There's two different courses for the Applied Science. One is a Chemistry focused one and the other is Biology. The the Biology one is already packed with 40 odd students. Whereas our Chemistry one only has 18 or 19. Ours also has more credits (15 rather than 12).

There's a bit of Biology and a bit of Physics which I'm okay with, but the Chemistry is advanced. Chemistry is what I want to do as it is more suited for uni courses I am hoping to apply for. I just don't know how to cram in all the revision I'll need to for the Chemistry. I'm going to speak to one of the lecturers today and see what I can do. I'm just really deflated as I was so looking forward to the course. The only entry requirement is a Higher C in Chemistry. Which I have done through my Access course but like I said it was years ago. I don't want to drop out but I'm already struggling. I'll speak to the lecturer though and hopefully sort something out...

Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it!
Transferring might not be as hard as you think. You sometimes find that maybe the biology one has the similar units in the same semester and in the second semester is where they have more units related to biology. The quicker you change the easier it is but if you feel like chemistry is the way to go then may as well.
Banana88
Rep:
?
*update* (I thought it posted but looks like it hasn't 😑)

I spoke to one of the lecturers and he did say I was atba disadvantage. He said that studying Nat 5 and Higher was all I could really do. I have spent all afternoon Friday, all day Saturday and all day today studying (I was in work for a 10 hour shift on Sunday), and while I feel like I know more than I did, I still don't feel good enough about it. I just feel like I'm the dumbest one in the class, and everyone gets it except me.

I'm also stressed because I'm working 3 days a week and going to college the other 3. so I have one day off, which I'll likely just be spending studying...

I'm back in college on Wednesday so if it's another day of self-loathing and near-tears stress, then I'm going to have to just speak to the head of the department and ask for either a swap, or drop out.

I should also probably note that I have depression, and stress and anxiety, which for the most part recently have been manageable, but now things are hitting me bad. I don't want it to get worse.

I'm also at the point where I'm now even doubting what I want to do at university. Everything is just a mess tbh.

Thank you for your advice though. It does help. I'll update once I've been through Wednesday's classes.
The Scotfather
Report 2 years ago
*update* (I thought it posted but looks like it hasn't 😑)

I spoke to one of the lecturers and he did say I was atba disadvantage. He said that studying Nat 5 and Higher was all I could really do. I have spent all afternoon Friday, all day Saturday and all day today studying (I was in work for a 10 hour shift on Sunday), and while I feel like I know more than I did, I still don't feel good enough about it. I just feel like I'm the dumbest one in the class, and everyone gets it except me.

I'm also stressed because I'm working 3 days a week and going to college the other 3. so I have one day off, which I'll likely just be spending studying...

I'm back in college on Wednesday so if it's another day of self-loathing and near-tears stress, then I'm going to have to just speak to the head of the department and ask for either a swap, or drop out.

I should also probably note that I have depression, and stress and anxiety, which for the most part recently have been manageable, but now things are hitting me bad. I don't want it to get worse.

I'm also at the point where I'm now even doubting what I want to do at university. Everything is just a mess tbh.

Thank you for your advice though. It does help. I'll update once I've been through Wednesday's classes.
No worries, looking forward to hearing the update. Next time use the reply function so I get a notification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads