How suitable are these A levels for law/economics?

Watch
username3944114
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Specifically for Cambridge. My options are:
- English Lit
- Geography
- Maths
- Economics
CandidateZero
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're looking to apply to Cambridge for economics, the lack of A-level Further Maths won't bode well for you; approximately 4 in 5 of those who go on to gain successful admission in the subject are holders of the qualification, along with A-level Maths, both graded at A*. It is representative of the significant quantitative element of the course - proficiency in maths is a necessity and needs to be seen by the admissions tutors who will judge you. I can't speak for law, but in my eyes if you're absolutely undecided on your HE progression, those options seem stellar. If you were at all tending toward the economics route, I'd suggest replacing one of your options - probably English Literature - with Further Maths.
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
drop geog for f maths, leave english
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
drop geog for f maths, leave english
But surely the economics component of Geography (globalisation, ect.) appeals more to a prospective applicant of economics than texts of English Literature do? Albeit understanding social contexts might seem useful, but I'd suggest Geography is the better option.
username4107004
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Drop Lit for F Maths if you really want to do Economics, as the course at Cambridge is very mathematical
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CandidateZero)
But surely the economics component of Geography (globalisation, ect.) appeals more to a prospective applicant of economics than texts of English Literature do? Albeit understanding social contexts might seem useful, but I'd suggest Geography is the better option.
for economics, maths and maybe f maths are the only requirements. it'd probably be a better option for law to do english imo, but im probably biased because i regret not doing a proper essay subject
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for economics, maths and maybe f maths are the only requirements. it'd probably be a better option for law to do english imo, but im probably biased because i regret not doing a proper essay subject
Strictly there are no requirements per se outside of Mathematics at A*, but as you say, Further Maths may as well be and indeed Homerton are enforcing it as a requirement of their applicants in future admissions cycles. I agree though - English would be great for law. I've found that History to be a good option alongside Maths, FM and Economics, and I'm applying for Econ at Cam this year - so perhaps it is an option to consider instead of either Eng/Geog for the OP?
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Strictly there are no requirements per se outside of Mathematics at A*, but as you say, Further Maths may as well be and indeed Homerton are enforcing it as a requirement of their applicants in future admissions cycles. I agree though - English would be great for law. I've found that History to be a good option alongside Maths, FM and Economics, and I'm applying for Econ at Cam this year - so perhaps it is an option to consider instead of either Eng/Geog for the OP?
that seems like a good idea!
geography would probably work with the subjects more, i just think it's important for law to do an actual essay subject. regrets i guess

good luck with Cam!
CandidateZero
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
that seems like a good idea!
geography would probably work with the subjects more, i just think it's important for law to do an actual essay subject. regrets i guess

good luck with Cam!
For law, essay subjects are definitely the route to take I'd guess . I take it you're an applicant for law? Best of luck in any case, and thank you very much!
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For law, essay subjects are definitely the route to take I'd guess . I take it you're an applicant for law? Best of luck in any case, and thank you very much!
applying 2019 entry and thank u!
username3944114
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by NeilK8)
Drop Lit for F Maths if you really want to do Economics, as the course at Cambridge is very mathematical
Ok didn’t realise FM was so crucial for economics, not for me then lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10.31%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
53.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.19%

Watched Threads