The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think that the grade boundaries to do a-lvl are too high?

I got rejected from a-lvl because I got a 5 in the subjects I want to do. Since the grades have changed from 4 (a-d) to 9 it is harder to get the desired grade and it could be possible I missed by 1 mark but as a didn't put marks on the report so it really didn't help
Original post by Theextremefish
I got rejected from a-lvl because I got a 5 in the subjects I want to do. Since the grades have changed from 4 (a-d) to 9 it is harder to get the desired grade and it could be possible I missed by 1 mark but as a didn't put marks on the report so it really didn't help

Since aqa*
It is not, they lowered the grade boundaries considerably for the first year because people weren't used to it. Take some responsibility, my sister did hardly any revision and even she got like 4 6's.
Not really. If you can't get over a B at GCSE then you will struggle in that subject at a-level.
Reply 4
Yeah, it's not like the people who do get into A-levels are acing them all
Original post by Bill Nye
Not really. If you can't get over a B at GCSE then you will struggle in that subject at a-level.

^^

I come from a really relaxed sixth form - And they let students who got B/C at GCSE do Maths, and students who didn’t pass a science take psychology, one who got CD in Lit and Lang do Literature...

Too many to count. 2 years later, most of them struggled. Their A-Level grades were reflective of their lack of ability / hard work (which one, idk) in that subject.

It’s likely for the best you take another subject. A 5 I think is a high C at GCSE?

No, they don’t always put marks on the report. You have to request them.
Original post by monkeyman0121
It is not, they lowered the grade boundaries considerably for the first year because people weren't used to it. Take some responsibility, my sister did hardly any revision and even she got like 4 6's.

I had no teachers for triple for 2 years because our school gave the teachers who actually knew science to lower double science that didn't do nothing which means we didn't do any practices like the food tests and most of the things that I and my friends revised for over the 3 years didn't come up on the tests
I had no teachers for triple for 2 years because our school gave the teachers who actually knew science to lower double science that didn't do nothing which means we didn't do any practices like the food tests and most of the things that I and my friends revised for over the 3 years didn't come up on the tests

Not only that all my subjects didn't have a teacher for at least 1 year. Maths I got forced in foundation when I got maximum marks in almost all my tests even though I asked them. English was probably the only good on with teachers except I always got put in sets with people who don't want to so good because of my targets. science is as I said. Computer science was also a good one. I did engenieering but we all got dropped because the final teacher left and forced to do employability which we got dropped again to health and fitness which I got distinction but it didn't matter to the school I was going to so I wasted the time I spent (5 weeks after school ended to do finish the coursework in school), I did ECDL which I passed but there was no proof to show the school that I was going to and in year 11 we had to do finance (a 3 year course) which I got a B but again I had no proof to show to the school I was going to. In year 11 (the year of our GCSE's) the school decided to change name and add school bags and Rob our freedom to do anything like if we were late by 1 minute we got an hour and wearing anything not in the dress code meant you got 2 hours, oh and also they made 3 hour sat detentions a thing. Not to mention in year 9 60% of the people didn't care about learning which rose by year 11 because people got expelled. Time was wasted on things that didn't matter. I did music which I got a distinction but I got dropped from GCSE to BTEC because we weren't good enough at the instruments which I understood and I got a distinction in 1 year because we got dropped to BTEC in year 11. Just because you or anyone else had a decent school and decent grades which created your own happy bubble doesn't mean there aren't people who got ****ed by the school. Not to mention the fact that I moved houses 4 times in those 3 years and had problems like my dad getting a heart transplant or my parents losing jobs. The amount of times I've cried is something you can't imagine.
Not only that all my subjects didn't have a teacher for at least 1 year. Maths I got forced in foundation when I got maximum marks in almost all my tests even though I asked them. English was probably the only good on with teachers except I always got put in sets with people who don't want to so good because of my targets. science is as I said. Computer science was also a good one. I did engenieering but we all got dropped because the final teacher left and forced to do employability which we got dropped again to health and fitness which I got distinction but it didn't matter to the school I was going to so I wasted the time I spent (5 weeks after school ended to do finish the coursework in school), I did ECDL which I passed but there was no proof to show the school that I was going to and in year 11 we had to do finance (a 3 year course) which I got a B but again I had no proof to show to the school I was going to. In year 11 (the year of our GCSE's) the school decided to change name and add school bags and Rob our freedom to do anything like if we were late by 1 minute we got an hour and wearing anything not in the dress code meant you got 2 hours, oh and also they made 3 hour sat detentions a thing. Not to mention in year 9 60% of the people didn't care about learning which rose by year 11 because people got expelled. Time was wasted on things that didn't matter. I did music which I got a distinction but I got dropped from GCSE to BTEC because we weren't good enough at the instruments which I understood and I got a distinction in 1 year because we got dropped to BTEC in year 11. Just because you or anyone else had a decent school and decent grades which created your own happy bubble doesn't mean there aren't people who got ****ed by the school. Not to mention the fact that I moved houses 4 times in those 3 years and had problems like my dad getting a heart transplant or my parents losing jobs. The amount of times I've cried is something you can't imagine.

But I know there's someone out there that has had worse problems so there's no point in whining because I am just 1 irrelevant person when compared to all the people who actually did a good job and all I can say is congrats
But I know there's someone out there that has had worse problems so there's no point in whining because I am just 1 irrelevant person when compared to all the people who actually did a good job and all I can say is congrats

All that you have said is because of the school that you were in and the people there. You should complain about it and contact the school board about such a bad experience. My brother had about 10 teachers within a year and he was struggling because of this and all of them starting over each time.

Quick Reply

Latest