The Student Room Group

what is a Scottish baccalaureate?

i am in 6th year at school and will be applying for university soon. i was looking online and came across something called a Scottish baccalaureate. i was wondering what it was. How long does it take to complete? who is it for? what does it take to complete? Is it in school or in your own time? would it help in applying for uni. want to do a biology related subject at uni if that helps. any information is greatly appreciated.
Original post by GLM26
i am in 6th year at school and will be applying for university soon. i was looking online and came across something called a Scottish baccalaureate. i was wondering what it was. How long does it take to complete? who is it for? what does it take to complete? Is it in school or in your own time? would it help in applying for uni. want to do a biology related subject at uni if that helps. any information is greatly appreciated.

Tagging our resident SQA extraordinaire @Labrador99 who might be able to help :h:

Moved to Scottish Qualifications
Original post by GLM26

:wavey:

Here's the answers to your questions:

Original post by GLM26
i was wondering what it was.

It is an SCQF level 7 qualification, so is at the same level as advanced higher, but carries less credit points (so is not as big as an AH). You can do them in languages, science, social science or expressive arts.
To do it, you need to complete the following components:
- 2 advanced highers
- a higher
- the interdisciplinary project (IP)
(one of the three subjects must be maths (or statistics, or mechanics) and there is a list of eligible subjects for the other 2...You also don't have to do all of the components in the same year, so you could use higher maths done in S5 for example)

Original post by GLM26
How long does it take to complete?

On top of the time required for 2 advanced highers and a higher, the interdisciplinary project takes approximately 160 hours according to the SQA.

Original post by GLM26
who is it for?

It is completed by S6 students, however the numbers are very small (literally a couple of hundred) as very few schools offer it as an option.

Original post by GLM26
what does it take to complete?

The interdisciplinary project requires a significant amount of independent work, where you do a pretty big project (bigger than a project for an individual AH subject) on a topic of personal/career interest. It's not something that people always see through to the end, as it does take quite a bit of self motivation to complete.

Original post by GLM26
Is it in school or in your own time?

Sort of a mixture of both. There isn't really anything to teach for the IP as it is very independent, but some time on the timetable is often allocated.

Original post by GLM26
would it help in applying for uni.

If you do it and can keep up your other grades, then it won't hinder your application. But at the same time, it won't really put you at any huge advantage, as so few people do them, and they're far from a requirement.

There is lots more information here :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by Blue_Cow
Tagging our resident SQA extraordinaire @Labrador99 who might be able to help :h:

Moved to Scottish Qualifications

:colondollar: Wouldn't go that far :nah:

Thanks for the move and tag though :smile:
Reply 4
He's like a poet laureate but incomprehensible to the English, a bit like Burns.
Hello, not an answer but did you do it ? What was it like ?

Quick Reply

Latest