The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths help

Hi, I am about to begin year 13 after achieving an A in Geography, A in psychology and a D in maths in my year 12 end of years. I really want to get into my first choice uni (University of Nottingham) which would require me to achieve AAB. I expect maths will get even harder in year 13 so I was wondering if anyone would have any advice/tips to help with this year so that I can achieve a grade higher than a B. I struggled in year 12 but I'm hoping to become more confident at maths in year 13. Any help would be appreciated 😀
Hey,

I am also going into Year 13, and am studying Maths and Further Maths. In terms of Maths, the best thing you can do is Practice as many different questions as possible. If there is any area of a topic you dont fully understand, what I have done in the past is grabbed friends, found a spare room with a massive supply of whiteboard pens (And of course a whiteboard) and got them to explain it through an example that they understand. Then after this, they would wipe off the example, and I would repeat the same question whilst explaining it how I would understand the question. If I got the question right, I would go another couple of questions on my own while my friends spectate my work (And making comments like friends do) and at any point I get stuck, we would talk about it until I understood the method.

If your friends also do not understand, then the wise choice would be setting up a time after school with your teacher and have them reteach you the topic.

My assumption is that you are sitting the new spec as you are only just going into year 13, and don't get me wrong, Maths is definitely one of the harder A Levels to take, but the reason I have found as to people not doing as well as they can is lack of motivation, and lack of talking to peers and teacher (I apologise if you harness a huge amount of motivation, and are always trying to improve through this method).

In A Nutshell, Revisit topics regularly, always attempt exam questions, and always ask peers/teachers.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me and I shall try my best to give you the required knowledge that you desire.
Hi thanks for the advice I'll definitely be trying that. Yeah I'm taking the new spec with Edexcel unfortunately, there's a lot more to get my head around🙄 it's annoying there's not many specimen papers for the new spec as the questions I'm doing from the old spec papers seem much easier and have a different structure to the ones in the new spec. I'm looking to spend extra time with my teachers anyway after school in order to grasp some concepts. One of my main worries however is if I'm focusing so much on maths I don't want to be dropping off in my other subjects as in year 12 I was putting an equal amount of time into each subject.
Original post by sasha_m_howard
Hi thanks for the advice I'll definitely be trying that. Yeah I'm taking the new spec with Edexcel unfortunately, there's a lot more to get my head around🙄 it's annoying there's not many specimen papers for the new spec as the questions I'm doing from the old spec papers seem much easier and have a different structure to the ones in the new spec. I'm looking to spend extra time with my teachers anyway after school in order to grasp some concepts. One of my main worries however is if I'm focusing so much on maths I don't want to be dropping off in my other subjects as in year 12 I was putting an equal amount of time into each subject.

If you have troubles surrounding time management, definitely create yourself a To-Do List and a study schedule, this will help you lay out the work you need to complete in a day, in a week, and so on... Personally, I am going to start writing a To-Do List at the start of each day and the end, this way I can see how ahead or behind on work I am, and where I will need to spend my extra revision time. Also, if you do need help with maths questions, then the Maths Forum is always a good option to use since there are some very smart cookies over there (not including me), but I am always happy to help with questions.
Thanks so much for your help. that will definitely help me organise things more, it's a stressful year ahead. Good Luck.
No problem, and if I am being honest, I am really not looking forward to going back as I have lost all my motivation to continue with Education. But good luck with your journey and hope you have a great year ahead of you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest