The Student Room Group

Nursing without chemistry?

For my GCSE science options I chose physics and biology, but not chemistry. I want to go into paediatrics/midwifery, would I be able to do so without chemistry? Or be able to pick up chemistry in future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChasingStars26
For my GCSE science options I chose physics and biology, but not chemistry. I want to go into paediatrics/midwifery, would I be able to do so without chemistry? Or be able to pick up chemistry in future?

Correct me if i am wrong but how can you not do chemistry, for gcse science whether it is double or triple all 3 sciences are taught. It's just for double whether you do higher or foundation, you get 2 grades and for triple you get three.
You don't need chemistry. If you're lucky you might get one chemistry related lecture when doing pharmacology.

Chemistry isn't necessary for nursing. Generally, universities have strict requirements about GCSE English and Maths but not about sciences. Some do require 5 grades from A*- C or similar. It's always a good idea to double check the entry requirements of universities you think you may be interested in before you make any decisions.
It's worth phoning some uni's and checking their entry requirements to be sure. I'm doing an access course and one of the uni's I'll be applying for asks for GCSE Maths, English and Science in addition to the access course. I wasn't sure if they meant Science as in double/triple science or if they meant a science subject e.g. Biology. When I phoned, they were able to confirm that a single biology GCSE was sufficient and I wasn't required to do chemistry or physics.

ur the same as me i hate chemistry so i didnt take it but now im worried i need it cus i want to do paedriatrics or midwifery
Original post by hello1242547
ur the same as me i hate chemistry so i didnt take it but now im worried i need it cus i want to do paedriatrics or midwifery

I’m able to confirm that I actually dropped physics too, and am still able to go on to midwifery. Instead of a-levels I’m doing health and social care diploma in September, then midwifery once I’m old enough for uni :smile:
I’m able to confirm that I actually dropped physics too, and am still able to go on to midwifery. Instead of a-levels I’m doing health and social care diploma in September, then midwifery once I’m old enough for uni :smile:

omg i didnt realise this was a whole year ago haha! wait so are you doing health and social care in college?
Yup going to college
You only need Biology for nursing or midwifery. I've just done an Access course and only did bio. Now got a place at uni for Adult and Mental Health Nursing. Chemistry and Physics aren't needed at all so don't worry :smile:
Reply 10
I am so glad I saw this post as I didn't take Chemistry at all and only took Biology as my science elective (I'm an international student planning on studying in the UK in the following year). This means I can enroll in nursing courses without having a Chemistry result, yes?
Original post by jjjp
I am so glad I saw this post as I didn't take Chemistry at all and only took Biology as my science elective (I'm an international student planning on studying in the UK in the following year). This means I can enroll in nursing courses without having a Chemistry result, yes?

That's correct. Physics and chemistry aren't required as they don't really relate to nursing but biology does. That's why universities only ask for GCSE Biology and a few other GCSEs such as English language and Maths
pls do you know any universities in uk that accept that
Original post by sliqt._
pls do you know any universities in uk that accept that

1. Any universities that accept what?
2. This thread isn't even recent, it's a few years old.
Original post by MedicWil
That's correct. Physics and chemistry aren't required as they don't really relate to nursing but biology does. That's why universities only ask for GCSE Biology and a few other GCSEs such as English language and Maths

pls do you know any universities in the uk pls?
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Chemistry isn't necessary for nursing. Generally, universities have strict requirements about GCSE English and Maths but not about sciences. Some do require 5 grades from A*- C or similar. It's always a good idea to double check the entry requirements of universities you think you may be interested in before you make any decisions.

pls what university in uk accepts for nursing/ midwivery
at accpets nursing/midwivery without chemistry

Original post by Emily_B
1. Any universities that accept what?
2. This thread isn't even recent, it's a few years old.
Original post by sliqt._
at accpets nursing/midwivery without chemistry

Every single university in the country.
Those that have preferred subjects ask for biology or chemistry or psychology or sociology or health & social care - you don't have to have done all of them.
I'd recommend you look at entry requirements of universities offering nursing degrees.
Original post by Emily_B
Every single university in the country.
Those that have preferred subjects ask for biology or chemistry or psychology or sociology or health & social care - you don't have to have done all of them.
I'd recommend you look at entry requirements of universities offering nursing degrees.

okay thank you
Please i had my other subjects but didn't have chemistry,can i still go for nursing?

Quick Reply

Latest