Report 6 months ago
Lemur14 PRSOM
DeepInTheMeadow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)

Awesome, will do Erm...don't listen to the people who say it's easy...it's not Essentially same as maths, just keep plugging away at the practise questions and you'll get there eventually
Thank you! Yeah, it's strange that some people take it alongside AS Maths, and so far I'm finding way more difficult than the A level!
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
Thank you! Yeah, it's strange that some people take it alongside AS Maths, and so far I'm finding way more difficult than the A level!
I think (in my limited experience) that generally maths looks more familiar, the concepts themselves are simpler but the questions are more likely to just be weird. Whereas further maths the concepts are (obviously) harder but the questions are likely to be more straightforward (although you're probably less likely to work out what on earth it's going on about or maybe that's just me)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Lancaster Open Day Review
First update :gah: Although this won't be quite like a normal update since it's an open day review instead of my usual ramblings about random stuff :laugh:
This was my first campus uni I've looked at so some of the stuff is probably obvious to anyone who's seen a couple but I'll get there
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni
(okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)
  • The colleges are basically choose your accommodation type (and location on campus I suppose) and not much more
  • There's loooaads of stuff on campus from food places (no surprise there) to banks to Blackwell's (:love:)
  • Accommodation is not guaranteed for insurance applicants but they usually get it (this is important as Lancaster would likely to be my insurance if I placed it)
  • About 2/3 of the 6700 people living on campus are 1st years so there are limited opportunities to stay on campus after first year but not much
  • All the accommodation has access to kitchens, most has to be self catered but some can be catered.
  • The library is 24/7 in term time (and is pretty cool inside :gah:)

... about the course
  • In year 1 you take mathematical methods, mathematical concepts and a minor subject (which can be literally anything from a language to geography to accounting and finance)
  • In year 1 there's end of module tests and worksheets which count for 50% but after first year there's no end of module tests and the worksheets count for much less
  • In year 2 there's 8 core modules and after that you start to have options.
  • You only do a dissertation if you take a 4th year :yep:
  • The course is very largely pure and stats based (which means I would escape all the fluid dynamics and similar which sounds complicated)
  • The offer structure is complicated but I'll just say if I got an offer it would be at least AAB and pending my TMUA score ABB

... about anything else
  • There's loads of buses going all over Lancaster (and even to Preston and iirc Blackpool) from campus so it's easy to get out
  • They gave so many freebies :lol:

Summary
Overall I really liked Lancaster :woo: It had a kind of homely feel and I could imagine it being lovely with everyone there all living together. The course was what originally attracted me to Lancaster and it still sounds good even after I've heard it spoken about which is great as well (although I have no clue what I'd pick as my minor )
So yeah, Lancaster is definitely still on the list
Apologies for the probably rather boring first update, hopefully non open day updates will be more interesting :yep:
Super Supporters :love:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Muttley79)
x
(Original post by ab173)
x
(Original post by Protostar)
x
(Original post by nyxnko_)
x
(Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
x
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
x
(Original post by laurawatt)
x
(Original post by Labrador99)
x
(Original post by Toastiekid)
x
(Original post by larkspurs)
x
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
x
(Original post by 04MR17)
x
(Original post by OrangeArcher)
x
(Original post by K.bower)
x
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
x
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
x
(Original post by Michiyo)
x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
First update :gah: Although this won't be quite like a normal update since it's an open day review instead of my usual ramblings about random stuff :laugh:
This was my first campus uni I've looked at so some of the stuff is probably obvious to anyone who's seen a couple but I'll get there
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni (okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)
  • The colleges are basically choose your accommodation type (and location on campus I suppose) and not much more
  • There's loooaads of stuff on campus from food places (no surprise there) to banks to Blackwell's (:love:)
  • Accommodation is not guaranteed for insurance applicants but they usually get it (this is important as Lancaster would likely to be my insurance if I placed it)
  • About 2/3 of the 6700 people living on campus are 1st years so there are limited opportunities to stay on campus after first year but not much
  • All the accommodation has access to kitchens, most has to be self catered but some can be catered.

... about the course
  • In year 1 you take mathematical methods, mathematical concepts and a minor subject (which can be literally anything from a language to geography to accounting and finance)
  • In year 1 there's end of module tests and worksheets which count for 50% but after first year there's no end of module tests and the worksheets count for much less
  • The course is very largely pure and stats based (which means I would escape all the fluid dynamics and similar which sounds complicated)
  • The offer structure is complicated but I'll just say if I got an offer it would be at least AAB and pending my TMUA score ABB

... about anything else
  • There's loads of buses going all over Lancaster (and even to Preston and iirc Blackpool) from campus so it's easy to get out

Summary
Overall I really liked Lancaster :woo: It had a kind of homely feel and I could imagine it being lovely with everyone there all living together. The course was what originally attracted me to Lancaster and it still sounds good even after I've heard it spoken about which is great as well (although I have no clue what I'd pick as my minor )
Apologies for the probably rather boring first update, hopefully non open day updates will be more interesting :yep:
Spoiler:
Show

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like a very positive open day!
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Sounds like a very positive open day!
It was thank you :hugs:
Was on a train going to Glasgow to get there :ninja:
Posted from TSR Mobile
YouOnlyLive...
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Please add meeeee.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
OrangeArcher
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm glad that you enjoyed Lancaster's open day. Would you ever firm it?
Protostar
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Glad you enjoyed it! I absolutely loved the uni but the course let it down for me however I knew it’d be more your thing!

If it means anything, all Clearing students are guaranteed accommodation so I’d be highly surprised if you didn’t manage to get anywhere as an insurance offer holder
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Glad you like it. I've only heard good things about Lancaster to be honest.
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by YouOnlyLive...)
Please add meeeee.
Will do
(Original post by OrangeArcher)
I'm glad that you enjoyed Lancaster's open day. Would you ever firm it?
I think if I didn't get an offer from Oxford or Durham it would be up there in the consideration for firm but if I get an offer from either of those they're always gonna be ahead for me.
(Original post by Protostar)
Glad you enjoyed it! I absolutely loved the uni but the course let it down for me however I knew it’d be more your thing!

If it means anything, all Clearing students are guaranteed accommodation so I’d be highly surprised if you didn’t manage to get anywhere as an insurance offer holder
Yke:h definitely more my thing with all the stats :giggle:
Ooh that's good to hear, not what they were saying on Saturday :laugh: Perhaps they can't guarantee it every year but even so that's useful info, thank you :hugs:
(Original post by 04MR17)
Glad you like it. I've only heard good things about Lancaster to be honest.
I'll correct that for you It's in the north and is therefore cold
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
prsom

i love your uni reviews!
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
prsom

i love your uni reviews!
Aww thank you :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni (okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)

... about the course

... about anything else

Summary
Spoiler:
Show

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to hear you liked Lancaster. I'm probably going to make it my insurance as well depending on the circumstances. Could you add me to the Super Supporters list?
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'll correct that for you It's in the north and is therefore cold
Mate. I'm roasting down here.
gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Spoiler:
Show

erm okay I just posted and when I pressed submit it disappeared into the thin air

Food, Blackwell's and freebies - literally all you need to be honest :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Lancaster! It's such a brilliant university and it's up north (come to the dark side ) - I'm always so surprised when I see the grade requirements, they're so much lower than you'd expect for a university with such great reputation! If it weren't for the heavy stats I would have definitely applied because close to no mechanics - yes please!! :lol:
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Lemur's Leap for University

:wavey: Welcome to my year 13 GYG :woo:
An introduction to me:
Click here
I'm Lemur, I'm 17 and I'm a member of the Study Help Support Team :gah: As you've probably noticed I'm in year 13, and I'm taking A levels in maths, further maths and computing plus an EPQ (and STEP classes so I have a pretty full timetable). I do 7 million hours of volunteering a week (well obviously not, but aside from TSR, I do several groups with children a week which is awesome) and I also do a drama group every week

Academic History
Click here

GCSEs:
9, 8, 6, 3A*, 7A, 1B, distinction* + A in FSMQ
Spoiler:
Show

Maths-9
English Language-6
English Literature-8
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Physics-AComputing-A*
Electronics-A*
Business-A
History-A
FSMQ Additional Maths-A (max grade)
Statistics-A* (year 10)
Religious Studies Short Course-A (year 10)
European Computer Driving Licence-distinction* (year 10)
French-B (year 9)
Citizenship Short Course-A (year 9)

AS levels:
2A
Maths-A (140/160)
Further Maths-A (123/160)

Internal exam:
A
Computer Science-A(70/84)

Universityplans:
Click here
Applying for maths (or maths and statistics) at:
*tbc*

Currently awaiting predicted grades (pending 7th September)
I'm definitely planning on taking both the MAT and the TMUA (:rip: me on 31st October) and I'm considering if I want to take STEP (since none of my choices *need* it but I may take one or two of them anyway)
Open Days:
Bristol- 16th June 2018
Oxford- 28th June 2018
Durham- 30th June 2018
Lancaster- 1st September 2018
Southampton- 8th September 2018
??Warwick- 6th October 2018

Keydates:
Click here

1/9/18-Lancaster Open Day
6/9/18-Back to college (temporary timetable)
8/9/18-Southampton Open Day
11/9/18-Back to college
6/10/18-Warwick Open Day
16-18/10/18-Performing :woo:
27/10/18-:birthday:
31/10/18-MAT exam(2h30)/TMUA exams(1h15 x2) /Post performance party :party2:
25/12/18-:xmas:
1/1/19-:hnn:
*tbc*

Same as last year, I'm gonna tag a load of people now (including everyone from my last GYG :love:), but you'll only be tagged again if you ask to be :yep: I've no clue how often updates will end up happening as I haven't got my timetable yet, but it should be at least weekly Apologies to anyone who gets a few notifications from this as I move it etc.
Can you tag me too?
bookloverlolly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So... What I learnt...
... about the uni
(okay this is basically about accommodation so skip this if you don't care)

... about the course

... about anything else

Summary

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven’t really considered Lancaster as it’s not a Russell Group uni (the title is kind of important for scientific research) and I have a uni with similar entry requirements already (Southampton) but it seems really nice (especially the accommodation)

Also, please add me to the tag list
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (53)
10.45%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (75)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
29.98%

Watched Threads