Buying a Stethoscope as a First year student (Don't get triggered yet!) Watch

This discussion is closed.
AspiringSword
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone..I know the title might have thrown you off and you might think I've gone completely cuckoo.
But I am entitled for a FREE (that's why I'm bothered lol) stethoscope from an organisation I used to volunteer for, and am planning to get the 3M Littmann Classic III. I am a first year medical student starting this year and will be joining UCL.
May I know if should I get another model (like cardiology IV etc.) and if there are any color restrictions such as no rainbow/champagne finish, or no red/blue color etc.?
Thank you for your help!
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AspiringSword)
Hey everyone..I know the title might have thrown you off and you might think I've gone completely cuckoo.
But I am entitled for a FREE (that's why I'm bothered lol) stethoscope from an organisation I used to volunteer for, and am planning to get the 3M Littmann Classic III. I am a first year medical student starting this year and will be joining UCL.
May I know if should I get another model (like cardiology IV etc.) and if there are any color restrictions such as no rainbow/champagne finish, or no red/blue color etc.?
Thank you for your help!
The classic is more than enough for med school and beyond. And no, no one cares about colour
AspiringSword
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestCat)
The classic is more than enough for med school and beyond. And no, no one cares about colour
Thank you for the reply!
Andremasil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My daughter is now graduated from med school, but on her first year I gave her the Littman Cardiology III, she loved it.. although all her friends had the classic III, I decided to buy one above just in case, was a gift and was on sale. She still have it and works just fine. I found this video talking about 3 models.. have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6JKnO7ugU
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!
If it’s free you might as well get the Cardiology IV. (Everyone on here gets really angry when it’s suggested a student gets anything more than the bare basic minimum, but who cares, it’s free... You wouldn’t get the most basic spec MacBook if somebody offered to buy it you...)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!
If it's free get the most expensive one as @Beska said!

(Go for the electric one with Bluetooth and amplifier and stuff :shh:, you can use it for PACES - I have checked but you must take the batteries out that's all :lol: )
AspiringSword
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andremasil)
My daughter is now graduated from med school, but on her first year I gave her the Littman Cardiology III, she loved it.. although all her friends had the classic III, I decided to buy one above just in case, was a gift and was on sale. She still have it and works just fine. I found this video talking about 3 models.. have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6JKnO7ugU
Oh that is so nice! Thank you so much for the video link!
AspiringSword
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
If it’s free you might as well get the Cardiology IV. (Everyone on here gets really angry when it’s suggested a student gets anything more than the bare basic minimum, but who cares, it’s free... You wouldn’t get the most basic spec MacBook if somebody offered to buy it you...)
Exactly why I had that typed in BOLD hahaha! I was mentally prepared for a lot of cringe and judgement while asking this question. But yes if the Cardio IV is a better option as suggested I would go for it thank you! I'm just worried about people judging me at med school haha!
g.k.galloway
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!
I agree with the above - get the best one you can if its free. Nearly everyone else on your course is bound to have the classic though
Colour tip - the pale ones pick up the dirt easily! But pick whichever is you're favourite!
AspiringSword
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
If it's free get the most expensive one as @Beska said!

(Go for the electric one with Bluetooth and amplifier and stuff :shh:, you can use it for PACES - I have checked but you must take the batteries out that's all :lol: )
Hehe, I only can buy the non electric ones according to what I was offered. Cardiology IV is the most expensive one out of those I believe, but if it will be of good use I might as well get it. Was just worried about what other med students might think haha...I don't want to come across as some cocky fella haha!
AspiringSword
Rep:
?
(Original post by g.k.galloway)
I agree with the above - get the best one you can if its free. Nearly everyone else on your course is bound to have the classic though
Colour tip - the pale ones pick up the dirt easily! But pick whichever is you're favourite!
Thank you so much! Will do.
For colour I was really attracted towards the rainbow finish, but I am worried it might come across as unprofessional haha. Or not I'll just stick to the elegant champagne or matte black finish.
g.k.galloway
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! Will do.
For colour I was really attracted towards the rainbow finish, but I am worried it might come across as unprofessional haha. Or not I'll just stick to the elegant champagne or matte black finish.
A couple of my friends have the rainbow, nobody has ever said anything against it - the kids LOVE it.

the matte black finish is very nice...I think that whenever I see one!
AspiringSword
Rep:
?
(Original post by g.k.galloway)
A couple of my friends have the rainbow, nobody has ever said anything against it - the kids LOVE it.

the matte black finish is very nice...I think that whenever I see one!
Hehe! Now that's a relief! Thank you so much!
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Exactly why I had that typed in BOLD hahaha! I was mentally prepared for a lot of cringe and judgement while asking this question. But yes if the Cardio IV is a better option as suggested I would go for it thank you! I'm just worried about people judging me at med school haha!
Honestly nobody will care. The cardiology IV is just a better version of the normal bell and diaphragm type stethoscope, it looks fairly similar except being better quality. The master cardiology looks visibly different so is more obvious as being a posh one (I wouldn’t actually recommend this one as med school OSCE mark schemes usually give marks for listening to the patient with both the bell AND the diaphragm, and you can’t do that as visibly with the master cardiology).

NB Both the master cardiology and the cardiology IV have the same mechanism by which you can ‘convert’ the diaphragm into a bell by just pushing harder. It means you can listen to the whole frequency of sounds by just increasing the pressure you’re using to listen and you can do it ad hoc as you’re listening to the sound. It’s very useful. But it’s not clearly obvious to an examiner that you are actively choosing to listen to different frequencies (I.e. the charade of listening with both bell and diaphragm), which is why the cardiology IV is better for acting. In real life you just use the push thing and never switch round to the bell.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Obviously go for the better one.

(Original post by Beska)
Honestly nobody will care. The cardiology IV is just a better version of the normal bell and diaphragm type stethoscope, it looks fairly similar except being better quality. The master cardiology looks visibly different so is more obvious as being a posh one (I wouldn’t actually recommend this one as med school OSCE mark schemes usually give marks for listening to the patient with both the bell AND the diaphragm, and you can’t do that as visibly with the master cardiology).

NB Both the master cardiology and the cardiology IV have the same mechanism by which you can ‘convert’ the diaphragm into a bell by just pushing harder. It means you can listen to the whole frequency of sounds by just increasing the pressure you’re using to listen and you can do it ad hoc as you’re listening to the sound. It’s very useful. But it’s not clearly obvious to an examiner that you are actively choosing to listen to different frequencies (I.e. the charade of listening with both bell and diaphragm), which is why the cardiology IV is better for acting. In real life you just use the push thing and never switch round to the bell.
You may well be right but part of me is saying that you'd have to a really petty examiner to mark someone down for not using the bell on a steth that has a variable frequency diaphragm. I would have thought a 'i just need to push a bit firmer now to change the frequency' type comment to the patient would get the point across for all but the most dickish examiners.

But then, the actual objective evidence that one stethoscope is better than any other is just non-existent so i have no basis on which to recommend the master cardiology anyway!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (31)
19.02%
Unconditional if firmed (13)
7.98%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.61%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (3)
1.84%
No unconditional offers (115)
70.55%

Watched Threads