The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine after Computer Science and Mathematics

Hi guys,

I recently graduated with a first in BSc Computer Science and Mathematics. The last year or so I've become increasingly sure I want to go on to study postgraduate medicine. However, I have a graduate job and I'm not in a position to give that up quite yet (I am bound to about two years renting and right now it's just not financially feasible to give up my job).

In fact, this gives me some time to explore medicine further prior to applying. As well as carrying out some health-related work experience, I'm considering applying for a 2 year part-time MSc prior to medicine, in a subject that bridges the gap between my background and medicine, whilst still allowing me to work and pay my rent. This will help me to learn more about my capability for (and interest in) medicine as well as strengthen my application.

My undergrad degree has no biological component and so doesn't make me eligible for any biological MSc but does anyone have any ideas for an MSc that could help to bridge the gap? I'm keen for something that could teach me a large amount of undergraduate level biology. I'm thinking perhaps Bioinformatics, Computational Biology etc. - but I'm not convinced this would really teach me much biology?

N.B. my A-level grades: Maths A, Chem B, Phys B, A.S Bio B, EPQ A).

Thanks very much!
Original post by hazj74
Hi guys,

I recently graduated with a first in BSc Computer Science and Mathematics. The last year or so I've become increasingly sure I want to go on to study postgraduate medicine. However, I have a graduate job and I'm not in a position to give that up quite yet (I am bound to about two years renting and right now it's just not financially feasible to give up my job).

In fact, this gives me some time to explore medicine further prior to applying. As well as carrying out some health-related work experience, I'm considering applying for a 2 year part-time MSc prior to medicine, in a subject that bridges the gap between my background and medicine, whilst still allowing me to work and pay my rent. This will help me to learn more about my capability for (and interest in) medicine as well as strengthen my application.

My undergrad degree has no biological component and so doesn't make me eligible for any biological MSc but does anyone have any ideas for an MSc that could help to bridge the gap? I'm keen for something that could teach me a large amount of undergraduate level biology. I'm thinking perhaps Bioinformatics, Computational Biology etc. - but I'm not convinced this would really teach me much biology?

N.B. my A-level grades: Maths A, Chem B, Phys B, A.S Bio B, EPQ A).

Thanks very much!

Things like bioinformatics and computational biology will not necessarily cover undergrad biology. I'm not sure why you want to waste time and money on an MSc. Just apply for grad entry med when you are ready.
Reply 2
Hi, I have the same situation with you! I also found myself really want to learn medicine as a computer science undergraduate. What did you choose then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending