I need urgent postgrad advice regarding an MSci/MSc/PhD Watch

Biochemist7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've recently completed my BSc Biochemistry + a year in industry with a 1st Class (77%). My long term goal is to pursue a PhD and a career in Research/Academia.

I've currently got the option to do:
an integrated 120 credit MSci year (purely research based).
a 180 credit Biological chemistry MSc at another uni (both taught and research).
OR work a generic job while I apply for PhDs (Since I have a strong undergrad, I've also been advised to skip a Masters and aim solely for PhDs.)

I prefer the project allocated on my MSci year, I'm just worried about maintaining my 1st degree classification. Plus it would be my 5th year and feels like less progression etc.

What would your honest advice be in this case?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I've moved this thread to one of our postgraduate forums, where you can hopefully get some useful help and advice from other postgrads.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Biochemist7)
I've recently completed my BSc Biochemistry + a year in industry with a 1st Class (77%). My long term goal is to pursue a PhD and a career in Research/Academia.

I've currently got the option to do:
an integrated 120 credit MSci year (purely research based).
a 180 credit Biological chemistry MSc at another uni (both taught and research).
OR work a generic job while I apply for PhDs (Since I have a strong undergrad, I've also been advised to skip a Masters and aim solely for PhDs.)

I prefer the project allocated on my MSci year, I'm just worried about maintaining my 1st degree classification. Plus it would be my 5th year and feels like less progression etc.

What would your honest advice be in this case?
MSci.
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're worried about maintaining the 1st Class degree, bank it and do an MSc...
There's always a chance that maybe the MSc projects will be as interesting as the MSci ones.

I had a similar issue (either have a better chance at getting a 1st with a BSc or risk it and continue with an integrated masters (MChem)).
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Biochemist7)
I prefer the project allocated on my MSci year, I'm just worried about maintaining my 1st degree classification.
If you've got the ability to to do a PhD then you'll have the ability to do a MSci project and get over 70%.

That said, if you encounter PhDs that you are interested in, apply for them. Masters can be skipped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (22)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
15.15%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
18.18%

Watched Threads