Lazy1212342
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there, I'm due to start PGCE next week. I have to fill in a health questionnaire which also asks about previous conditions. Back in 2016, whilst in my final year of undergraduate degree, I became anaemic all of a sudden, I would have low energy, felt dizziness etc. It lasted for a few months, and it seriously affected my studies during that phase. I had got my lowest grades (didn't fail) but I hadn't done as well as I did for my modules.

This got to me, and although my health improved I was feeling mentally and emotionally low. I went to doctors, who diagnosed me with depression and put me on anti-depressants for a few weeks. After, which I felt better and honestly speaking, I did well at the next few modules.

But, now I'm a bit concerned that what if it affects my application - although I have got an unconditional offer. I'm quite worried. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'd be grateful if you could share it with me. Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The health form is just so the uni knows that you may need extra support and what to watch out for- you obviously need to complete the form honestly. I very much doubt this will affect your place- you may just be asked to have an extra chat with their occupational health about this.

The health form really isn't about stopping people from becoming teachers.
Lazy1212342
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
The health form is just so the uni knows that you may need extra support and what to watch out for- you obviously need to complete the form honestly. I very much doubt this will affect your place- you may just be asked to have an extra chat with their occupational health about this.

The health form really isn't about stopping people from becoming teachers.
Thank you. I filled it in honestly. Due to that, I wasn't able to enrol on the course. But, I have been registered, and also will be able to attend the lectures. I hope they sort it out asap!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lazy1212342)
Thank you. I filled it in honestly. Due to that, I wasn't able to enrol on the course. But, I have been registered, and also will be able to attend the lectures. I hope they sort it out asap!
That's a shame, but it sounds like they still want to have you there. Maybe they just want you to speak with occupational health and then you'll be able to enroll?
Lazy1212342
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
That's a shame, but it sounds like they still want to have you there. Maybe they just want you to speak with occupational health and then you'll be able to enroll?
I hope so. I remember when I applied & got an offer for PGCE in 2017, I was called in - and well she ticked me off, knowing that I'm fine. Just hope, it's sorted by end of this week. I actually wish I never put it down! Many others, didn't bother putting their health issues down. :/ it's hard being honest at times :facepalm:
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lazy1212342)
I hope so. I remember when I applied & got an offer for PGCE in 2017, I was called in - and well she ticked me off, knowing that I'm fine. Just hope, it's sorted by end of this week. I actually wish I never put it down! Many others, didn't bother putting their health issues down. :/ it's hard being honest at times :facepalm:
I know most unis ask people to get their GP to sign off on the form, so if it's on your medical history then you can't lie.

I also think lying might stop people from feeling like they can get help from their uni during the PGCE, which would not be a great situation to be in.

I'm sure everything will get sorted soon- good luck!
MrsDeWinter
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know this is from a year ago, but I'm wondering what the outcome was?

SarcAndSpark
Lazy1212342
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (290)
34.24%
No (557)
65.76%

Watched Threads