The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Cambridge? And is there any disadvantages for applying early?

I just got my M/J AS results couple of weeks ago and currently studying A2.

My AS results are AAAA for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science. (Btw my board is CIE if that matters)

Will I have any chance of getting an offer from Cambridge? and if I do, is there any disadvantages for applying so early?

The deadline is October 15th and I haven't prepared anything and I'm panicking.

I don't want to rush my PS, etc for Cambridge just to get rejected.

Any realistic advice would help. Thanks!

Edit : For the Cambridge admissions assessment, does anyone know how much is a pass?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ksn1690

My AS results are AAAA for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science. (Btw my board is CIE if that matters)

Will I have any chance of getting an offer of Cambridge? and if I do, is there any disadvantages for applying so early?

Considering you have the highest possible AS grades why wouldn't you have a chance? Which course are you considering?
There's no advantage to applying early - there's plenty of time.

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum.
Also, have a look in the current admissions thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5549782
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Another point is you don't need to apply to your 4 other choices at the same time (15th Oct). You can add the others whenever you like, and it can be a good idea to keep a couple of options open until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January.

Note, the rest of your application remains the same - so you can't change your PS or reference.
Original post by ksn1690

Will I have any chance of getting an offer of Cambridge? and if I do, is there any disadvantages for applying so early?

What were your marks like?
Also I hadn’t even decided I was going to apply to Cambridge until beginning of October so only had about two weeks to prepare. You have plenty enough time
There’s no disadvantages of applying early - But, there’s no advantages either.

It doesn’t have to be September 1st or October 15th - Take a bit more time to check things over, check your other courses etc. And maybe aim for like mid-end September if you wanna get things done slightly early. No rush!
Original post by Doonesbury
Another point is you don't need to apply to your 4 other choices at the same time (15th Oct). You can add the others whenever you like, and it can be a good idea to keep a couple of options open until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January.

Note, the rest of your application remains the same - so you can't change your PS or reference.

Is this a recent change?

I always believed you had to send off all 5 UCAS options at the same time, regardless of whether it involved Oxbridge or not.

This is a good feature though!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by FloralHybrid
Is this a recent change?

I always believed you had to send off all 5 UCAS options at the same time, regardless of whether it involved Oxbridge or not.

This is a good feature though!

Nope. It's been like this for years. :smile:
Reply 7
Considering you have the highest possible AS grades why wouldn't you have a chance? Which course are you considering?
There's no advantage to applying early - there's plenty of time.

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum.
Also, have a look in the current admissions thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5549782

Engineering
Reply 8
Original post by Nicole14510
Also I hadn’t even decided I was going to apply to Cambridge until beginning of October so only had about two weeks to prepare. You have plenty enough time

It averages about 90%
Original post by ksn1690
It averages about 90%

That’s pretty decent. It’s definitely worth an application at the very least.

Best of luck :smile:

I can't seem to put my raw marks into UCAS as there is no option to do so.
Does that mean that unis don't know what raw marks you have and only can compare using grades?
Original post by Quyen_3
Does that mean that unis don't know what raw marks you have and only can compare using grades?

To be honest it was a few years ago now since I applied so I can’t quite remember.
I think you are right that you don’t put them into UCAS, but I’m sure you do tell Cambridge at some point or at least you did when AS was still a thing. It might have been in the additional questionnaire thing Cambridge sends out after you apply.
If your marks are particularly close to the next grade or just particularly high it is always an option that whoever writes your reference can mention that.
To be honest it was a few years ago now since I applied so I can’t quite remember.
I think you are right that you don’t put them into UCAS, but I’m sure you do tell Cambridge at some point or at least you did when AS was still a thing. It might have been in the additional questionnaire thing Cambridge sends out after you apply.
If your marks are particularly close to the next grade or just particularly high it is always an option that whoever writes your reference can mention that.

Oh okay thank you! Yeah I've just done my AS levels and I was just confused when entering my grades into UCAS. Would other unis send out an additional questionnaire as well?
Original post by Quyen_3
Oh okay thank you! Yeah I've just done my AS levels and I was just confused when entering my grades into UCAS. Would other unis send out an additional questionnaire as well?

For me they didn’t. And I don’t think they usually do. Some invite people to interview (UCL and Leicester did for me) but not all.
Reply 14
Original post by ksn1690
Engineering

Is there a reason you didn't study FM? It's not required but is a common subject for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Is there a reason you didn't study FM? It's not required but is a common subject for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school doesn't provide FM for some reason, and I found out that it was a common subject for engineering right before my AS Exams.....
Reply 16
Original post by Quyen_3

If you have UMS (not raw marks) they go on Cambridge's SAQ. If you have raw marks your referee can mention them.

Original post by ksn1690
My school doesn't provide FM for some reason, and I found out that it was a common subject for engineering right before my AS Exams.....

That's fine. You can explain that in the SAQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Quyen_3

By the way, you don't need to rush to include all 5 choices at the outset. You just need to settle on your Oxbridge choice and then you can add your others later. Indeed it can be a good idea to keep a couple of options in hand until after you get your Oxbridge decision in early January.

But you can't change your PS or Reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ksn1690
Engineering

What attracts you about that particular course?
That's fine. You can explain that in the SAQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks! Although there isn't an option to put in ums points (only the subject, exam board and grade)? Does it calculate it automatically?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending