Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am just a little bit confused with this question 20.4
Name:  36.PNG
Views: 60
Size:  335.6 KB
Attachment 771374771376
So in the extract from the text below, this is what is mnetioned:
Fish population
...On average there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5litres of water, e.g. a 9-litre tank could take 1 fish of 5cm, 2 fish of 2.5 cm each etc

so.. it's talking about averages here - so a 9litre tank could hold an average of 3 fish

In the ms it says:
"We are allowed no more than 2.5cm of fish for 4.5litres of water"
so it's not an average of 2.5cm of fish for 4.5 litres of water
Attachment 771374771376771300
Can someone help with my confusion on this? Thanks
Attached files
username1258931
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sienna2266)
I am just a little bit confused with this question 20.4
Name:  36.PNG
Views: 60
Size:  335.6 KB
Attachment 771374771376
So in the extract from the text below, this is what is mnetioned:
Fish population
...On average there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5litres of water, e.g. a 9-litre tank could take 1 fish of 5cm, 2 fish of 2.5 cm each etc

so.. it's talking about averages here - so a 9litre tank could hold an average of 3 fish

In the ms it says:
"We are allowed no more than 2.5cm of fish for 4.5litres of water"
so it's not an average of 2.5cm of fish for 4.5 litres of water
Attachment 771374771376771300
Can someone help with my confusion on this? Thanks
If I understand you correctly, the mark scheme doesn’t mention the word average and that is where your confusion lies.
I think the ms probably does mean on average, as fish move around so it’s unlikely to be as literal as they have said it. Did you get the right answer? If not what was the question?
sienna2266
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nicole14510)
If I understand you correctly, the mark scheme doesn’t mention the word average and that is where your confusion lies.
I think the ms probably does mean on average, as fish move around so it’s unlikely to be as literal as they have said it. Did you get the right answer? If not what was the question?
Hey
So i think i probs rambled too much and didnt get my point clear enough.

so it's this bit I don't get - this is in the text provided before the questions
Fish population

What do they mean here? I don't understand what they are trying to show by giving the 9 litre example
username1258931
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What they are trying to say is that you don’t have to just have fish that are exactly 2.5 cm long. By giving the 9L example they are saying that you could have one 5 cm fish and that still be equivalent to 2.5 cm of fish per 4.5L, even though that’s only half a fish in the 4.5L volume,
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey
So i think i probs rambled too much and didnt get my point clear enough.

so it's this bit I don't get - this is in the text provided before the questions
Fish population

What do they mean here? I don't understand what they are trying to show by giving the 9 litre example
You can't have half a fish so they are saying 2.5 cm of fish to 4.5 litres is the same as 5 cm of fish to 9 litres [they could say 10 cm of fish to 18 litres of water or any multiple]
sienna2266
Rep:
?
What they are trying to say is that you don’t have to just have fish that are exactly 2.5 cm long. By giving the 9L example they are saying that you could have one 5 cm fish and that still be equivalent to 2.5 cm of fish per 4.5L, even though that’s only half a fish in the 4.5L volume,
Hey thanks but what do you mean by "even though that’s only half a fish in the 4.5L volume"

Also, a better way to word my confusion haha:

You know where they mention " On average, there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water"

It's just like they want to tell you that the average length of a certain number of fish in 4.5 litres of water is 2.5cm at the most.

Could you kindly let me know your thoughts on this?
sienna2266
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You can't have half a fish so they are saying 2.5 cm of fish to 4.5 litres is the same as 5 cm of fish to 9 litres [they could say 10 cm of fish to 18 litres of water or any multiple]
Ah right, thanks. But thing is, I am finding it difficult to infer this from the text.

The reason being is:
You know where they mention " On average, there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water"

It's just like they want to tell you that the average length of a certain number of fish in 4.5 litres of water is 2.5cm at the most.

Could you kindly let me know your thoughts on this?Image
username1258931
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey thanks but what do you mean by "even though that’s only half a fish in the 4.5L volume"

Also, a better way to word my confusion haha:

Could you kindly let me know your thoughts on this?
Yes I believe that is what they are telling you.
sienna2266
Rep:
?
Yes I believe that is what they are telling you.
But isn't this different to what Muttley79 mentioned "You can't have half a fish so they are saying 2.5 cm of fish to 4.5 litres is the same as 5 cm of fish to 9 litres [they could say 10 cm of fish to 18 litres of water or any multiple] "

This is what I thought it meant:

Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But isn't this different to what Muttley79 mentioned "You can't have half a fish so they are saying 2.5 cm of fish to 4.5 litres is the same as 5 cm of fish to 9 litres [they could say 10 cm of fish to 18 litres of water or any multiple] "

This is what I thought it meant:

It's to do with how many fish a certain volume of water can support ie enough oxygen for them.

2.5cm of fish to 4.5 litres of water is the max so 1 fish 2.5 cm long or 2 fish 1,25 cm long or ...

is the same as 5 cm of fish to 9 litres of water [but its easier to provide some examples with these numbers] mean 5 fish 1 cm each, 2 fish 2.5cm
sienna2266
Rep:
?
It's to do with how many fish a certain volume of water can support ie enough oxygen for them.

2.5cm of fish to 4.5 litres of water is the max so 1 fish 2.5 cm long or 2 fish 1,25 cm long or ...

is the same as 5 cm of fish to 9 litres of water [but its easier to provide some examples with these numbers] mean 5 fish 1 cm each, 2 fish 2.5cm
Thanks- I get you

But don't you think the way they've worded it is rather incorrect.
Instead of "On average, there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water"

They should say "Generally, there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water"

Because on average just makes it sound like the average length of a certain number of fish in 4.5 litres of water is 2.5cm at the most.

Or is it just me?:/
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks- I get you

But don't you think the way they've worded it is rather incorrect.
Instead of "On average, there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water"

They should say "Generally, there should be no more than 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water"

Because on average just makes it sound like the average length of a certain number of fish in 4.5 litres of water is 2.5cm at the most.

Or is it just me?:/
It is a bit clumsily expressed but I have kept fish so have come across this sort of thing.
sienna2266
Rep:
?
It is a bit clumsily expressed but I have kept fish so have come across this sort of thing.
Thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (107)
27.58%
England (132)
34.02%
Belgium (30)
7.73%
Germany (41)
10.57%
Spain (8)
2.06%
Italy (34)
8.76%
Netherlands (13)
3.35%
Other (Tell us who) (23)
5.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise