LOOK M8S I NEED HELP FR. Pros/cons of Wadham college?

Watch
Shakiras Law
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Curious to hear from people who are studying/have studied there (especially medics)
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
plz
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
would really appreciate any help
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
bump :/
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
b u m p
EmperorTortoise
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure about the veracity of the claims but I have heard that it is very left wing (which is a pro or con depending on how you view it).
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmperorTortoise)
Not sure about the veracity of the claims but I have heard that it is very left wing (which is a pro or con depending on how you view it).
Yeah, I think that's true. It does have a long history of being very liberal (think it was the first oxford college to allow female students admission)
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
bump
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
bump
CycloneChilli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't study at Wadham, but I do study at the University and have met several students who go there. I've also seen the college a few times:

-Has one of the largest undergraduate populations of any college in the University. This is an advantage or disadvantage depending on whether you prefer a close-knit community, or more people around you. I personally think going to a larger college is better as there are more people you can meet with similar interests.

-There is a reputation of the College being very left-wing and liberal. They host QueerFest, a festival themed on LGBT, which I've heard is a fantastic thing to go to. To be honest these college stereotypes do have some basis, but they are massively exaggerated. Not everyone going to Wadham is going to be super-passionate about politics - many people apply without realising this stereotype even exists, and a fair number of students get pooled. So I wouldn't take this into account if I was personally choosing.

-The college has a great location close to the centre of town, and near the King's Arms pub. It's a charming old sandstone college with several quads and a magnificent dining hall. There are some comfortable modern accommodation blocks on-site as well.

-I've heard the vibe is relaxed, with people taking their food outside hall to eat on the grass in the summer.

-Accommodation is not provided for the whole duration of the course: I believe you have to live out in your 2nd year. Some people enjoy the experience, others see it as a bit of a hassle.

-The JCR [common room] building is really nice, I've been in it. There's a TV with games consoles, table football, pool table and other games. The room was big with plenty of sofas, and there seemed to be a few people using it [at my college people rarely use the JCR].

-People at Wadham get a free ticket to Wadstock, the college's annual music festival. From what I've heard the college is one of the more active ones when it comes to putting on events.

Hope this helps. See this page for more information: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik..._Pros_and_Cons
Shakiras Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by CycloneChilli)
I don't study at Wadham, but I do study at the University and have met several students who go there. I've also seen the college a few times:

-Has one of the largest undergraduate populations of any college in the University. This is an advantage or disadvantage depending on whether you prefer a close-knit community, or more people around you. I personally think going to a larger college is better as there are more people you can meet with similar interests.

-There is a reputation of the College being very left-wing and liberal. They host QueerFest, a festival themed on LGBT, which I've heard is a fantastic thing to go to. To be honest these college stereotypes do have some basis, but they are massively exaggerated. Not everyone going to Wadham is going to be super-passionate about politics - many people apply without realising this stereotype even exists, and a fair number of students get pooled. So I wouldn't take this into account if I was personally choosing.

-The college has a great location close to the centre of town, and near the King's Arms pub. It's a charming old sandstone college with several quads and a magnificent dining hall. There are some comfortable modern accommodation blocks on-site as well.

-I've heard the vibe is relaxed, with people taking their food outside hall to eat on the grass in the summer.

-Accommodation is not provided for the whole duration of the course: I believe you have to live out in your 2nd year. Some people enjoy the experience, others see it as a bit of a hassle.

-The JCR [common room] building is really nice, I've been in it. There's a TV with games consoles, table football, pool table and other games. The room was big with plenty of sofas, and there seemed to be a few people using it [at my college people rarely use the JCR].

-People at Wadham get a free ticket to Wadstock, the college's annual music festival. From what I've heard the college is one of the more active ones when it comes to putting on events.

Hope this helps. See this page for more information: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik..._Pros_and_Cons
Thank you so much for such a detailed response! Definitely the type of information I needed. What college are you at, if you don't mind me asking?
CycloneChilli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pokii)
Thank you so much for such a detailed response! Definitely the type of information I needed. What college are you at, if you don't mind me asking?
No worries, glad it helped. I’m going into my 3rd year at St Hugh’s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads