The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

How is Architecture at NTU???

Having now decided to go to Nottingham Trent university from my clearing options, I feel like I've made the wrong decision as many people on here are saying it is too easy at NTU and I wouldn't be getting my money's worth regards to teaching and the course itself.

PLEASE if anyone is already studying architecture here tell me how it is so I don't feel so scared to start in september, I originally wanted to go to University of Nottingham if I really dont like it at NTU is it possible to get transferred in the 2nd year if I finish with a high grade in the first???
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by thea-14
Having now decided to go to Nottingham Trent university from my clearing options, I feel like I've made the wrong decision as many people on here are saying it is too easy at NTU and I wouldn't be getting my money's worth regards to teaching and the course itself.

PLEASE if anyone is already studying architecture here tell me how it is so I don't feel so scared to start in september, I originally wanted to go to University of Nottingham if I really dont like it at NTU is it possible to get transferred in the 2nd year if I finish with a high grade in the first???

Hi I’m sorry I can’t answer your question but hope you can help me .Can I ask what qualifications you have ? Did you not get offered a place at Uni of Nottingham ? Where else did you apply and what were your offers ? What offer did you receive from NTU ? Thanks -hope you get an answer to your question .
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by thea-14

Hi Thea

Sorry to hear that you're having second thoughts about NTU! Although I'm not an Architecture student, we do have some student profiles that hopefully might give you an idea of the course.

Emily Hagger
Francis Coll
Miles Kelsey

The course is generally well-liked by students, and has a 90% satisfaction rating from the National Student Survey. As well as this, 93% of our BArch (Hons) Architecture students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies.

I hope that helps a little bit but if you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to get them answered :smile:

Chris - NTU rep
Reply 3
Original post by Arc46
Hi I’m sorry I can’t answer your question but hope you can help me .Can I ask what qualifications you have ? Did you not get offered a place at Uni of Nottingham ? Where else did you apply and what were your offers ? What offer did you receive from NTU ? Thanks -hope you get an answer to your question .

Hi I have GCSEs 7As and 3A*s and just got my A level results which I am not that happy with so was thinking to retake, I got ABD and I studied art(A grade), philosophy (B) and the D in maths. I did receive a reduced offer from Nottingham AAB because they liked my portfolio and that was my firm but the D in maths let me down but I know in a year I could easily bring it to an A or B. I also received offers from Reading, Oxford Brookes and an unconditional from Brighton, got rejected from UCL due to the drawing task that I rushed. I really liked Nottingham as a city and through clearing got offers from Nottingham trent, Kent and Coventry. I visited Coventry, really disliked the department but I guess I chose Trent due to having a really nice feel of the city and the uni is very new and I have heard good things from students studying other subjects but not architecture. Due to clearing I think Trent was only looking for 110 ucas points, theyre original requirements are BBC but says on their prospectus they need at least 2 A-levels or a btec I think.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, hope I helped if u have any other questions just ask :smile:, I guess ur looking to study architecture?
Reply 4
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Thea

Sorry to hear that you're having second thoughts about NTU! Although I'm not an Architecture student, we do have some student profiles that hopefully might give you an idea of the course.

Emily Hagger
Francis Coll
Miles Kelsey

The course is generally well-liked by students, and has a 90% satisfaction rating from the National Student Survey. As well as this, 93% of our BArch (Hons) Architecture students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies.

I hope that helps a little bit but if you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to get them answered :smile:

Chris - NTU rep

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply I'm only regretting it because I feel like I don't know much about the architecture course and department and I'm due to start in a few weeks! This being a very important choice for my future and the next couple of years studying at NTU
Thank you for attaching the student profiles, they gave me more of an insight into the type of projects students get involved in and the facilities available.
I would like to know a few things if possible,
How many students on average study the course or are starting this year?
Are most materials provided or do we have to buy our own?
How many lectures would we have per week and what would they consist of?
How often do we get feedback from tutors?

Thank you
Thea
Original post by thea-14
Hi Chris, thank you for your reply I'm only regretting it because I feel like I don't know much about the architecture course and department and I'm due to start in a few weeks! This being a very important choice for my future and the next couple of years studying at NTU
Thank you for attaching the student profiles, they gave me more of an insight into the type of projects students get involved in and the facilities available.
I would like to know a few things if possible,
How many students on average study the course or are starting this year?
Are most materials provided or do we have to buy our own?
How many lectures would we have per week and what would they consist of?
How often do we get feedback from tutors?

Thank you
Thea

Hi Thea,

No Problem at all! :smile:

How many students on average study the course or are starting this year? - Around 70+ Architecture students will be starting in Sept 2018.

Are most materials provided or do we have to buy our own? - As an Architecture student you will benefit from our Building Blocks financial package, designed to support students by minimising the additional costs of study (see below link). This includes £100 print and materials credit for each year of the course (max. 3 years), which you'll able to spend at the Bonington art shop on campus, fully stocked with a wide range of art and design materials at student-friendly prices. For individual major projects you’ll be expected to provide the materials for use, meaning costs will vary depending on the materials selected. For smaller scale project work materials will often be provided.
https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-courses/courses/find-your-course/architecture-design-built-environment/ug/2018-19/barch-architecture#fees-and-funding

How many lectures would we have per week and what would they consist of? - You’ll have approximately 12 hours per week contact time in scheduled learning, which is delivered through lectures, tutorials and studio sessions. Lectures will be according to the module content and will inform the tutorials and studio sessions where you’ll work on and discuss new topics. The studio is where you’ll spend most of your study time.

How often do we get feedback from tutors? - You’ll receive and discuss feedback on project work, etc. throughout your contact time, and formal feedback following each work submission. Given the nature of the subject the academic team are very close to the tutorial groups. You’ll also work closely with our team of expert technicians in studios and workshops.

Hope that helps, but feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris - NTU rep
Original post by thea-14

Hey I'm applying to study architecture at Nottingham Trent in 2020, I was wondering if you could tell me how your experience has been at the university studying this course?
Original post by kkd200217
Hey I'm applying to study architecture at Nottingham Trent in 2020, I was wondering if you could tell me how your experience has been at the university studying this course?

Hi there, I have just been offered an unconditional to NTU for architecture. My first choice is Edinburgh and my second NTU, but I'm a bit worried NTU is not as good as I thought. Did you end up going to NTU if so, whats it like?
Original post by Charlie232002
Hi there, I have just been offered an unconditional to NTU for architecture. My first choice is Edinburgh and my second NTU, but I'm a bit worried NTU is not as good as I thought. Did you end up going to NTU if so, whats it like?

Hi did you end up going to Edinburgh or Trent if Trent could you tell me about your experience? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending