Skloan37
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I am doing a dissertation at the moment on Persephone and potentially on how her marriage to Hades changed her as a person and became stronger. I worry that my argument is a little weak and obvious that her change in character was because of this event. I was wondering what other people thought and if anyone have any other slight alterations to it that might help to make a stronger argument regarding her?
EmperorTortoise
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am slightly confused - what sources are you using for this? Is it not a bit tenuous in the first place to analyse a mythological character who never existed?

Otherwise, you could possibly argue that she developed Stockholm Syndrome and even began to enjoy her time with Hades in the Underworld, making her a more problematic character. Her time in the Underworld was a respite from the torments of earth.

Equally, you could talk about the aetiological aspect and how interesting that they anthropomorphised a natural event (the changing of the seasons) to make it something more cogitable.

Anyway not sure if this helps - some more detail is perhaps required?
Skloan37
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’ll be using the Hymn to Demeter, Orphic tablets, and smaller inclusions of her in other myths. It’ll be about how she had more of a role to play in it than previously perceived
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (38)
40%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
22.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.26%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.47%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.26%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.58%

Watched Threads