The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation and History?

I recently got into a well respected sixth form and they haven't said anything about my studying both classics and history, but I'm quite apprehensive about taking them both now because my mother keeps going on about how it's like taking 'double history'. Do you think I should change? I really want to take classics but I could take geography instead. The ultimate goal as of now is to study history and politics at uni...

I know that I should study something I will enjoy, but I'm thinking about my future here (getting into a good uni) :/

Any helpful input would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by SerenaPink
I recently got into a well respected sixth form and they haven't said anything about my studying both classics and history, but I'm quite apprehensive about taking them both now because my mother keeps going on about how it's like taking 'double history'. Do you think I should change? I really want to take classics but I could take geography instead. The ultimate goal as of now is to study history and politics at uni...

I know that I should study something I will enjoy, but I'm thinking about my future here (getting into a good uni) :/

Any helpful input would be much appreciated :smile:

They are fine. Grades matter. Classics is well respected and its a mix between literature, history, sociology and philosophy.

Double history would imo be Ancient history and history.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
They are fine. Grades matter. Classics is well respected and its a mix between literature, history, sociology and philosophy.

Double history would imo be Ancient history and history.

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

The best way to deal with your mum is look up the unis whose courses you are interested in and then print off the entrance requirements to show your A levels are acceptable. They all like classics.

She can argue with you, but not the unis.
Reply 4
The best way to deal with your mum is look up the unis whose courses you are interested in and then print off the entrance requirements to show your A levels are acceptable. They all like classics.

She can argue with you, but not the unis.

Even if I were to apply to Oxbridge (more specifically Cambridge)?

Talk to Cambridge and then your mum cant be arguing with them.

What A levels are you taking and for what course?
Reply 6
Talk to Cambridge and then your mum cant be arguing with them.

What A levels are you taking and for what course?

English lit, history and classics for the history course :/
English lit, history and classics for the history course :/

Just email them, then forward the e-mail to your mum. I dont think they would be worried at all.

Head over to the Cambridge section and ask an admissions tutor your question directly.
(edited 5 years ago)
Both are well respected, history probably slightly more so. Classical civilisation, depending on the modules the college has opted for, will likely be history and literature. I did medieval history, archaeology and classical civilisation and none of the universities I applied to had a problem with it although I knew I wanted to do classics at uni. Some people at my college even did ancient history, medieval history and classics! If you enjoy history I would really recommend both!
This is probably going to sound really biased because I am applying to do Classics at uni haha but I would say you're absolutely fine. I currently study History, Classical Civilisations and Government and Politics and recieved an offer to study Classics at Cambridge yesterday so doing both certainly won't impact your application to Oxbridge! Both are well respected subjects and it is very easy to draw analytical comparisons between the subject matters of both subjects (and politics also) in your personal statement/interview. This advice might be a bit too late haha but I would definitely say don't drop Classics!! Especially if you get to do some modules on politics and democracy, there is a lot of synopticity between history, politics and classics (I would know haha!!) Hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 11
congratulations : ) to be honest, if i could turn back time i would probably choose to study the sciences, but nothing can be done about that! so ignoring that, im quite glad i took class civs. thank you : )
Original post by thegodofcheese
This is probably going to sound really biased because I am applying to do Classics at uni haha but I would say you're absolutely fine. I currently study History, Classical Civilisations and Government and Politics and recieved an offer to study Classics at Cambridge yesterday so doing both certainly won't impact your application to Oxbridge! Both are well respected subjects and it is very easy to draw analytical comparisons between the subject matters of both subjects (and politics also) in your personal statement/interview. This advice might be a bit too late haha but I would definitely say don't drop Classics!! Especially if you get to do some modules on politics and democracy, there is a lot of synopticity between history, politics and classics (I would know haha!!) Hope this is helpful :smile:
Thank you! :smile: and that's no problem, I am glad you are liking class civ even if it isn't what you'd most like to be studying. Best of luck in your uni applications! :smile:
congratulations : ) to be honest, if i could turn back time i would probably choose to study the sciences, but nothing can be done about that! so ignoring that, im quite glad i took class civs. thank you : )

Quick Reply

Latest