Jih
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I really need some advice. I'm in year 13 now so will be doing my A-level exams in May. I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and English Literature and will be applying to med school very soon. the thing is, I am Canadian and have always wanted to go back to Canada for university. my parents say that I should go if I really want to but I should also apply to university for medicine here. in Canada, you do 4 years of Premed and then 4 years of medicine but here you go straight into medical school for 5 years. I know how hard it is to get accepted into any medical university here and there but all of the universities I've looked at in Canada want As and Bs but in England, they want all As and A*s and even then many people do not get into medical school. I also know that after UKCAT and Bmat you have to do the interviews etc. To be honest I think that I can get all As and maybe a B in one subject but A*? No realistically speaking I don't think I can. so my question is, should I apply to both? or just Canada?

Please let me know what you think.
Thank you.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jih)
Hi. I really need some advice. I'm in year 13 now so will be doing my A-level exams in May. I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and English Literature and will be applying to med school very soon. the thing is, I am Canadian and have always wanted to go back to Canada for university. my parents say that I should go if I really want to but I should also apply to university for medicine here. in Canada, you do 4 years of Premed and then 4 years of medicine but here you go straight into medical school for 5 years. I know how hard it is to get accepted into any medical university here and there but all of the universities I've looked at in Canada want As and Bs but in England, they want all As and A*s and even then many people do not get into medical school. I also know that after UKCAT and Bmat you have to do the interviews etc. To be honest I think that I can get all As and maybe a B in one subject but A*? No realistically speaking I don't think I can. so my question is, should I apply to both? or just Canada?

Thank you.
Moved to Medicine
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jih)

Thank you.
If you wanted to work in Canada, as far as I am aware, you'll have to take an exam after graduating from the UK. So for the sake of learning the culture of working, I would just apply to Canadian Unis. That's my opinion.

Don't feel restricted by the A-Level grades though, thousands of people in this country can do it.
mdednnllrhn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What is the cost of going to Canada? Can you afford to do it?
Jih
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
If you wanted to work in Canada, as far as I am aware, you'll have to take an exam after graduating from the UK. So for the sake of learning the culture of working, I would just apply to Canadian Unis. That's my opinion.

Don't feel restricted by the A-Level grades though, thousands of people in this country can do it.
Okay, thank you very much.
Jih
Rep:
?
(Original post by mdednnllrhn)
What is the cost of going to Canada? Can you afford to do it?
Yes, thankfully I can since I have a Canadian Passport and am still a Canadian citizen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (175)
58.53%
I don't have everything I need (124)
41.47%

Watched Threads